Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 8:33:54 AM EDT
In response to the outright lies and ignorance of the antigun movement in Oregon and the United States I’ve decided to do some of my own research and share my findings with you.  Hopefully the information will come in handy as you run into sheeple in your day to day lives or when writing letters to your elected officials.  I will do my best to share something once a week but we’ll see how it goes.    Please feel free to add your comments and suggestions.

One of the prime reasons gun control advocates scream for a ban on “assault weapons” is the perceived threat to law enforcement officers.  Violence Policy Center, a liberal gun control group, has asserted that 1 in 10 police officers killed in the line of duty is killed by an assault weapon.  In order to make this exaggerated claim the VPC focused on a five-month window from February to July of 1995.  Hardly a scientific sample.

A US Department of Justice report available online is a more factual and honest source of information.  According to the report, criminals using a firearm to commit crime overwhelming prefer large caliber handguns and that from 1982 to 1993, of the 687 officers who were killed by firearms other than their own guns, more were killed by .38 caliber handguns (25%) than by any other type of weapon.  Rounding out the top six weapons used in officer killings are the .357 Magnum handgun (12.1%), 9mm handgun (9.5%), 12 gauge shotgun (7.4%), .22 caliber handgun (5.4%), and the .22 caliber rifle (4.4%).

According to the same US DOJ report the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services studied 600 murders that occurred in the state from 1989 to 1991.  ”The study found that handguns were used in 72% of the murders (431 murders). Ten guns were identified as assault weapons, including five pistols, four rifles, and one shotgun.  That’s right, of the 600 murders over a four-year period only four involved “assault rifles”.  One has to ask why does the anti gun movement wants to ban “assault rifles” that accounted for less than 1% of the murders committed when handguns were responsible for 72% of the murders committed during the same time frame…
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my response:

Not as articulate but much simpler than yours!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
LMAO.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top