Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 7:06:51 PM EDT
WTF over???

They voted to ask for a state wide assult weapons ban and if they can't get that they want permission from the state to do a city wide ban?!?!

Was I drunk or did I really see that on the news?!?!

Whats next? Banning cars in downtown Portland again??
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Blows goats. I saw it too. Well sort of...channel 8 is run by a bunch of retards that don't know how to get footage from the field to their newsroom.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Their ignorance did come out to play by calling the "evil" rifles automatic as I recall....What a bunch of shit. Oregon, excluding the now republic of Mult. County, seemed to be pretty gun friendly with shall issue and class 3. What happened??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I totally missed this. Anybody got a link to a news story? I'd like to get some more info (ammo) before I flame the city council. Not like they don't deserve it continually.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice how city government is wasting time on subjects they don't have authority over.  Oregon State law specifically states gun laws can only be changed at the state level.  Concealed carry is valid anywhere, except in government buildings and a few other very specific places.  Oregon State law goes into great detail that concealed carry is ALLOWED in schools, as long as the person has a valid CHL.

My local HS had a problem with this, so they passed their own pseudo law prohibiting ALL weapons.  They can pass the rule, but they can't enforce it.  During a conversation with one of the teachers, the subject of guns came up.  The HS has a zero tolerance (zero intelligence) policy.  I then asked why shouldn't legal CHL holder be allowed to carry, after all they are probably the only ones in the school that have been fingerprinted and had a state police and FBI background check.  (Teachers are NOT required to have a background check done prior to employment.)  He didn't have an answer and said he would never submit willingly to a background check.  Hmmm.......  I'm now wondering how many teachers have criminal histories.  I'm glad I don't have kids in the school any more.......

Well, any way back to Portland...
Portland is always short of money and they will spend money faster than they can tax you.  The voters turned down a $1B light rail project here twice.  But, the city did it any way and sold debt bonds to cover it.  In effect we paid for it.  The city saw a shortage of revenue last year, so they imposed a NEW business tax.  In addition, Multnomah County imposed a new 1.5% income tax.  So, if you start a business and grow it to the point where you need a bigger space, you get hit with the 1.5% county tax and a $23K fee to move across the street!  No kidding!  The $23K was for inspection fees, plan reviews, a lawyer, etc.  We were thinking it would cost us $2K - $4K max.

So, if the city can solve its financial problems, they have to deflect those who are looking at the incompetent city council.  Guns, lets ban guns!

Sick and tired of Portland....get me out of here!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
here is the link to kgw website on it.
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_092204_news_pdx_assault_weapons.1427376d2.html

in case the link don't work.

PDX City Council wants state assault weapons ban

07:25 PM PDT on Wednesday, September 22, 2004

By JIM PARKER, kgw.com Staff

The Portland City Council voted unanimously Wednesday to urge the Oregon Legislature to adopt a statewide assault weapons ban to replace a federal law that expired last week.

AP photo
Gunsmith Justin Davis of the Boise Gun Co. holds a Ruger mini-14 rifle at the company's headquarters in Garden City, Idaho.  
As an alternative, city leaders asked state lawmakers to repeal an existing Oregon law that prevents local governments from enacting their own ban on assault-style guns.

"When Congress let the assault weapons ban expire, Portland became a less safe place to live," said City Commissioner Jim Francesconi, who is also running for mayor of Portland.

"It's now time for our state Legislature to step up and either ban them statewide or at least let us keep them out of our city," added Francesconi, who sponsored the city council resolution.

The measure drew support from local law enforcement, including Portland Police Chief Derrick Foxworth and Multnomah County Sheriff Bernie Guisto.

"I believe weapons of this nature serve no legitimate sporting or hunting purposes in our communities," Foxworth told city council members. "We have to protect our citizens."

Sheriff Giusto told the council that 20 percent of all police deaths nationwide are the result of automatic weapons fire. The sheriff also said of the nearly 500 guns seized recently in the county, many had military-style assault features like silencers and enlarged ammunition magazines.

"Until the ban is restored, more and more of these weapons will fall into the hands of criminals," Giusto said. "I am concerned that in the wrong hands assault weapons may place the public and my deputies unnecessarily in the line of fire."

But gun advocates disputed Giusto's claims, maintaining that criminals will not become less deadly with more gun laws.

"That's crazy," said Angela Lyons, president of the Oregon State Shooting Association. "The criminals aren't following the rules, they never do, that's why they're criminals."

Lyons contended restoring an assault weapons ban will only infringe on the constitutional Second Amendement right of citizens to keep and bear arms. She also predicted city council's request would fall on deaf ears at the state Capitol.

"In Portland and Multnomah County, this probably polls really well," Lyons said. "They're like 'oh yeah, ban assault weapons' but the rest of the state is much more conservative."

(KGW reporter Randy Neves contributed to this report.)

Firearms now legal to own

The 19 named assault-style firearms banned under a 1994 federal law that expired earlier this month:

• AK-47 and all models of the Norinco, Mitchell and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs, designed in the former Soviet Union.
• Uzi and Galil, both made by Action Arms Israeli Military Industries.
• TEC-9, TEC-22 and TEC-DC9, manufactured by Intratec.
• SWD M-10, M-11, M-11-9 and M-12. Based on the design of the MAC-10, their full-automatic cousin, these assault pistols are designed to fire many bullets over a wide area in seconds.
• Street Sweeper and Striker 12 and other revolving cylinder semiautomatic shotguns.
• Beretta AR-70 and SC-70, used by armed forces in a number of countries including Italy, Jordan and Malaysia.
• Colt AR-15, the civilian version of the M-16 rifle that is the U.S. military's standard-issue rifle.
• Several weapons manufactured by Fabrique Nationale, the FN-FAL, FN-LAR and FNC. The guns are used by the armed forces of more than 90 countries.
• Steyr AUG, a rifle made in Germany
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It's my opinion that if we could move Portland to California, everyone would be happy. The most anti-gun crap comes from there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's my opinion that if we could move Portland to California, everyone would be happy. The most anti-gun crap comes from there.

To think I bailed out of CA to get away from repressive gun laws....shesh!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bashed city council.  You have to be joking me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
WTF is up with this shittyass state
the homos get more rights and we lose ours
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WTF is up with this shittyass state
the homos get more rights and we lose ours

Thats funny!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm from portland and being in multnomah county I know this will pass if brought up.  This is just ridiculous and is another reason why moving would be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top