Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2004 8:03:34 PM EDT
Does anybody remember when it was that we first started losing control?

A story of modern gun control…

For my birthday my wife decided to buy me the revolver I’ve been wanting to add to my collection.  A gun store that has treated me well in the past had a good deal on a used Ruger GP100 stainless with the 4” barrel.  This shop is 50 miles from our place in Saint Helens, but like I said, they’ve treated me right in the past so we decided to combine this with a trip to Home Depot and a nice lunch.  The wife just had knee replacement surgery about a month ago so is still getting around with a cane.  I planned kind of a quick round trip that would have us home pretty early and her off the knee by early afternoon.

The Ruger was in great shape and the price was right.  While I was filling out the paperwork the wife was talking to the lady clerk about some of the little carry autos they had on display.  She asked to see a couple and fell in love with the Kel-Tec P-32.  I decided, what the hell, if we didn’t get it now it may be a while before we’re back and sure enough they won’t have it any more.  I’ve carried the P-11 for a few years and I’m sold on Kel-Tec.  The clerk tells me I can do both the pistols on the same yellow sheet and NICS check .  She ran my credit card and completed the paperwork.  I did my thumbprints and she made the OSP call for my NICS backround check.  After a couple of minutes she tells me that there’s a hold on my check and I WON’T BE ABLE TO TAKE MY GUNS AT THIS TIME.  This is a pisser!

Although I have no legal reason to be flagged by the Oregon State Police or NICS my record with this check is running about 50%.  It has taken anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of hours to get through this “INSTANT F*%KIN’ CHECK” and take my purchases home!!  

No problem I think, I’ve got to run a couple of errands while we’re in the big city and we’re going by Buster’s Bar-b-que for some Texas lunch.  Might as well drop into Bi-Mart and buy a couple boxes of ammo for the new pets while we’re at it and that ought to give them plenty of time to wade through the B.S.  I call the store back after a couple of hours only to be told they still hadn’t heard anything, but things were slow today.  Said they were waiting on some more data on me before they can OK my check?????????

Called the store before closing to hear I still was in NICS HELL!

It’s nine hours after I paid for my new pieces.  All I’ve got in my hand is a receipt for over $600.00 on my credit card and it doesn’t feel nearly as good in the hand as that GP100 did.  Oh yea, my bill included the $9. NICS fee.

They open at 10 AM.  They said they would call when it comes through.  Looks like another 100 mile round trip tomorrow.  Maybe.

This sh%t has gotten out of hand.

Hope I get a birthday cake.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a shotty today and the guy was done in 5 minutes. Did you leave your social off of the form? Sometimes that holds 'em up. Tuff luck either way. I'm feelin' for ya.

Of course helps to caress my new shotty!
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought a shotty today and the guy was done in 5 minutes. Did you leave your social off of the form? Sometimes that holds 'em up. Tuff luck either way. I'm feelin' for ya.

Man thats harsh
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Your last name isnt Mohammad by chance is it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your last name isnt Mohammad by chance is it?

Not unless Mom's been holdin' something out on me.

I just bought an AK a month ago and a Winchester 94 a month before that.  NICS over in about a minute on those.  They were much closer to home too.[>(]
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had problems twice now. My first gun after not shooting for years took almost a week to clear. And another time I was told I didn't pass the background check only to be told when I got home that I had. Luckily I was five minutes from the store.

Bang
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Both times I've done it (pre-ban PWA and Stinger lower), it's been about 5 minutes. Bummer on the wait.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man thats harsh

Link Posted: 3/20/2004 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Update to the story is that the government has decided to withhold their permission for me to legally take control of the firearms I paid for yesterday.  I'm in some knid of NICS limbo.  The gun shop clerk says "it happens" and that they don't usually get calls back on a weekend.  I won't have a chance to get back to the shop until Wednesday to pick up my guns if that's the case.  That's *if* they decide to give me their blessing.

So much for "reasonable" gun control.

Link Posted: 3/20/2004 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolute B.S. man....    I had them do the same thing to me a couple of years ago.  It took about three or four days to go pick up my assault over/under browning citori that would only chamber teflon coated cop killer armor piercing incenianary shells.

Really pisses me off.....

The Pig.
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a little checking into the Oregon backround check system.  

Oregon is one of a few states where dealers do not use the FBI’s NICS system directly.  Oregon uses the Point Of Contact system where dealers call the State Police who do the backround checks (8am to 10pm 7 days a week).  They use the FBI’s NICS system as well as whatever other information they deem necessary (State Mental Hosp. records, State Dept. of Human Resources records, state criminal records, etc.).  After Measure 5 went into effect *all* firearms checks (long and hand guns) have to go through OSP, but I think long gun applications are just put through with FBI NICS info but handguns receive extra scrutiny.  OSP backround records are supposed to be held for five years and then purged from the system.  Oregon gun owners pay up to $10. per inquiry for this service  

Although I purchase approximately one gun a year I haven’t bought a handgun through a dealer in over five years.  I may have fallen into some kind of hole in the system.  To complicate matters even further I have had a change of address since then.  I also had the audacity to attempt a purchase of *two* handguns at the same time!  ALL STOP!

In over forty years of gun purchases I can say that every one has been progressively more of a pain in the ass.

I remember being able to buy M1 carbines out of the back pages of Boys Life magazine and have them mailed to your house.  We've come a long way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The State of Oregon has graciously decided that I'm a solid enough citizen to be awarded the privilege of taking possession of a Kel-Tec P32 and a Ruger GP100! I feel like I've won the lottery.

After three days of no news I called the gun shop right before they closed to see if they had heard anything. No, my back round check
wasn't in yet. I got pissed. She put me on hold while she gave them another call. Got back to me and told me I was approved after all.

Kind of makes me wonder how long it would have taken me to find out if I hadn't called back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The State of Oregon has graciously decided that I'm a solid enough citizen to be awarded the privilege of taking possession of a Kel-Tec P32 and a Ruger GP100! I feel like I've won the lottery.

After three days of no news I called the gun shop right before they closed to see if they had heard anything. No, my back round check
wasn't in yet. I got pissed. She put me on hold while she gave them another call. Got back to me and told me I was approved after all.

Kind of makes me wonder how long it would have taken me to find out if I hadn't called back.

Sounds like they chose you for the 3-day delay.

Im sorry to tell you this, but once you are on that list almost every time you go back to buy a gun you will have to wait three days.

Happened to me
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never had a problem with it.  It takes longer to fill out the form then to call it in usually.  But I feel your pain it would suck to be pumped on getting a new gun and then have to wait all that time.  Bummer deal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2004 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been up here for seven years now and probably bought ten guns over the counter.  The checks have gone from two minutes to three days.  As I've come to understand lately it's pretty much a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2004 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#15]
So....you shot your new toys yet?

Nick
Link Posted: 3/25/2004 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So....you shot your new toys yet?

Nick

Headed out in the AM (weather permitting).  Just got through cleaning, inspecting, polishing and lubing.

BFG and LFG

Link Posted: 3/25/2004 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Shoots great!

Link Posted: 3/29/2004 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Just curious, where are you shooting at?  Always looking for new ranges.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just curious, where are you shooting at?  Always looking for new ranges.

Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club in Clatskanie, Or.
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Im sorry to tell you this, but once you are on that list almost every time you go back to buy a gun you will have to wait three days.

Happened to me

you really have some wide ranging interests, eh M4aau?   I mean, i don't think i would look through the MD hometown unless i was forced to ; )

danny
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happened to me

you really have some wide ranging interests, eh M4aau?   I mean, i don't think i would look through the MD hometown unless i was forced to ; )

danny

What are you talking about?

Please clarify.
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a hijacking!!  Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt!

Link Posted: 4/12/2004 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happened to me

danny

What are you talking about?

Please clarify.

Link Posted: 4/14/2004 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I think (and I could be wrong here.  Its been known to happen) he is commenting on the fact that you do not appear to be from Oregon, yet you are reading and posting on the Oregon forum.
   But hey.  What do I know.

The Pig
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think (and I could be wrong here.  Its been known to happen) he is commenting on the fact that you do not appear to be from Oregon, yet you are reading and posting on the Oregon forum.

The Pig

there is this silly thing at the top of the page called active topics it brings up all, get ready for this, active topics. some people cruise through that instead of jumping from page to page. he probably didn't realize that the post is in the hometown forums, just saw an active post and opened/replyed to it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting bakc to the topic at hand:

I personally haven't been able to figure out a reason for this to happen.

I have one of the most common names ever created and I would have thought for sure I'd be one that would deal with this hell.

I've bought over 10 firearms in the last 3 years without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The Pig

sorry i didn't get back sooner, but the pig hit it on the head.

so M4aau- it was because this thread is in the oregon forum and you are from MD(apparently).

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Pig

there is this silly thing at the top of the page called active topics it brings up all, get ready for this, active topics. some people cruise through that instead of jumping from page to page. he probably didn't realize that the post is in the hometown forums, just saw an active post and opened/replyed to it.

I guess I don't use the active topics cuz I'm to poor lately to justify the membership...  Lame excuse I know.

The Pig.

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Pig

I guess I don't use the active topics cuz I'm to poor lately to justify the membership...  Lame excuse I know.

The Pig.

You must be the poorest MF in the world as even I can search on the active topic list... and I'm so poor I can't pay attention!  And as you can see, I'm a budget memeber as well.

The Munk-a-lido  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Federal Regs give 5 days to answer the "NICS" background, so along with the OSP its sounds like one more government agency to deal with...Sucks...If you get delayed and they don't give a "denied" or "proceed" within 5 days then the dealer can transfer the weapons to you...There are a few things that seem to get delayed like no SS#, Jr. or III after your name, common last names, and not being born here in the US. The next issue is that Oregon takes the info on what guns your buying like serial numbers and such on handguns IIRC, so when you buy 2 handguns within 5 days from the same dealer they dealer has to send in a multiple handgun for to the ATF for their files. This might have caused or help cause a delay....

Cheers

Belial
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top