Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 1:35:04 AM EDT
Dad tells me he saw an ad in the Argus for an auction at Fairly Honest Don's. Seems the store is closed and the whole contents goes on the block Sat the 18th. May stop by for the heck of it,but in the past have seen very few good deals at sales like this. It's property tax time though and lots of folks out of work,so you never know.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, what a surprise.  You mean you can't stay in business *and* piss everybody off that comes through the door?

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Here's the link if you want to see pic,s of what they had.

http://www.markusandmarkus.com/10-18-03%20Don's%20Guns.htm

I went and previewed what they had but did not go.

If anyone went, please post what stuff went for.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
His prices were always much higher that anyone else, and his employees were told not to talk about the gun shows.

This is not surprising, but again their name say's it all.  They are not honest, but fairly honest!  

They would always show up late to every expo gun show(like 11:00 to 12:00), have their products priced much higher than anyone else, and now they are are going out of business.  I wonder why!  Don was not a real people person.

Honestly I really hate to see any gun dealer go out of business, but I must say they brought this on themselves.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The only surprise here is that the doors were open as long as they were.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd have to agree with that. The shop is less than 2 miles from my house and I was in there a few times. I bought maybe 200 rds of .45 from them that were reasonably priced, no bargain, but reasonable. I think in the 5-6 times I was there I only saw one customer type in the store. I never saw anyone else buy anything, but one person did come in as I was leaving. Too bad I'm so broke. He did have some bushies on the wall I might have bid on. Ireally think the shop was a hobby more than a business. They just didn't seem real serious about selling stuff. I wonder what happened to the Hummer...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya the guy was a total asshole. His prices on 500 rounds of Wolf ammo were always $25. higher that the prices at Keith's or Northwest Armory. Couple years back he had a used 16" Bushy for sale. It was right around tax time and I asked him if I could put a deposit down on it and have him hold it for me for a couple of weeks till my refund came back. Well being the nice guy he was he said no. Guess he thought the price was so great the gun was going to sell that very day so why wait two weeks for my money. So two weeks later when I got my refund I went to Keith's, bought a new 20" hbar Bushy and a month later he still had the gun hanging on the wall. Gee I wonder if he had to sell his Hummer too?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Did'nt make it over there. His was the only gun shop I've been to that I was given the evil eye because I was'nt wearing camo. Seemed to me that he catered to the Rambo types.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
People like this need a "front man" who is customer friendly and doesnt have a problem with people and shows. I hada boss like this hated people but hada good business sense. So everyone who did business with him did it through me. Its funny a couple service issues he had to deal with and the customers said they wouldnt deal again with him only me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
He did have a guy working in there that was OK to deal with but he didn't set the prices or store policy. I remember a couple of months back he had some surplus SA ammo in 7.62x39. They came in clear plastic battle packs. He was selling the individual boxes of 25 rounds  cheaper than he was selling the 250 round battle packs they came out of. I guess he was charging for the plastic. He really had his head up his ass.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nuff said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top