Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 9:57:54 AM EDT
Curious to your favorite camping spots in the state.  For big family type camping we head for Cape Lookout.  I used to head over on the Deschutes and camp all up and down the river in the Maupin area, but this is a clusterf%^k nowdays.  Anyone have a favorite that they are willing to share? Something good for family get togethers and then how about some spots for gun get togethers?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually plan on going camping soon myself. But the last couple sites I tried to reserve online and only 3 spots of 50+ camp sites are open. I dont want to go camping just to be surrounded by people. Anyhow bought a thick book on Pacific Northwest camp spots. Maybe I'll find something!

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Eastern Oregon has many great places to "get away from it all".  Its a bit of a dive form the valley.  But its worth it.  The Steens mtns.  Delentment lake.  Yellow jacket lake.  The list is huge.

The Pig.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Paulina Lake campground is just south of Bend on US97.  

It is an old volcanic caldera that has filled up with water, and has a lot of campsites for both RVs and tent campers.

$5 a night for a site.  On the other side of the lake from the campground they have boat rentals and there are fish in that lake. There is a hot spring on the east side of the lake where hot water comes up through the sand.  

Bear signs everywhere, but I have never seen a bear.  My pup growls in the middle of the night when we are tent camping, and those three tritium dots are pretty nice to look at.

Plenty of fallen wood up in the treeline for campfires.

Lot's of hiking trails too.  I took off with my pup, and we went about half a mile up a trailhead and a sign said 'no dogs past this point'.  Naturally, we kept going, and the trail turned into crushed obsidian! Sharp as broken glass razors!  We got back out of there unhurt.

It's dry high desert, so carry water even on a short hike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I try and take off out of Portland every other weekend or so. My favorite area is down in christmas valley, south of Brothers off of Rt.20. Really quiet and no tourists. Good area for fun with class three stuff . You can drive for days on those dirt roads. Bring a map and lots of water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top