Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2022 2:37:36 PM EDT

While searching for parts for my restoration, I'm learning that some of the required components (like ammo cans) have been repurposed for backpack rigs, making available surplus dry up. As a result I'm having to build a pair of ammo cans for a restoration of a Cadillac Gage V100 with twin M73's (AKA Blood Sweat and Tears) Since I have to build a few dies and fixtures, I will be able to make more. These cans will be 18 ga stainless where the originals were 22 ga which were .018" thinner.

Anyone here build their own backpack setups?
The first two images found on the internet...

Fabrication progress:

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
We built some in AFG. Just welded .30 cal cans onto ALICE frames, then used cut fire extinguishers for the spare barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I assume that since these are sometimes built into backpacks, the pair of latches on the lower section of the can wouldn't be used. Correct?

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my reproduction ammo cans for the Blood Sweat and Tears V100 restoration.
The latches are a different style but they are stainless. The original weighs in at a lean 4.5lbs where mine being .018" thicker are 7.5lbs.

We are also fabricating the spent brass chute and can as well.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I gotta ask.  What do you guys do with all this cool stuff you guys make? Is it rented out for movie/TV use?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I gotta ask.  What do you guys do with all this cool stuff you guys make? Is it rented out for movie/TV use?
View Quote

These cans and accessories are for a restoration, which I doubt it will ever end up on a movie. But the other vehicles has been on movies and TV, most recently a H1 we built a few years ago will be in two episodes of The Walking Dead. Mainly this stuff is either for prototype work or just for our own enjoyment.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Finished product for the Blood Sweat and Tears V100 restoration. Working on the brass/link chute and the spent brass can now.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These cans and accessories are for a restoration, which I doubt it will ever end up on a movie. But the other vehicles has been on movies and TV, most recently a H1 we built a few years ago will be in two episodes of The Walking Dead. Mainly this stuff is either for prototype work or just for our own enjoyment.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/vjWogM.jpg
View Quote

That makes it even cooler.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top