Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2022 11:16:54 PM EDT
https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/introducing-atl-trains-revolutionary-approach-metro-commuter-transit

I think they're severely underestimating the construction costs....
Also wonder how much the local municipalities would welcome, or not, a Marta line coming into their area.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing seems to enrich a community quite like public transportation...
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking Gwinnett has voted at least twice now to NOT join marta.

But marta can't or wont take a hint.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
So glad I left Canton and escaped "Atlanta". Less than 10 years and Canton/Cherokee will be "Cobb". Soon "Atlanta" will be up in Adairsville and Calhoun eventually Chattanooga and Atlanta will be like Dallas-FT Worth!
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It's great that more Georgians will be able to experience piss on seats, late-night arguments, and death threats from homeless people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

They are going to keep putting it on the ballot until they get the result they want. It's a matter of "when" not "if" MARTA will expand to Gwinnett.

The problem they are going to have is finding the room to put it. The county is so developed that there just isn't the amount of land needed to do what they want to do. It's the same problem with the Sugarloaf extension that ends on 316. They want to extend that northward and connect to I85 but it's nothing but neighborhoods in the way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago I lived in College Park and then Marta arrived. It did not add anything to the neighborhood. Good luck getting Marta into Newnan and PTC.  I now live far enough away that Marta will never visit me. Public transportation should be forced to operate without taxpayer subsidies. As it is it is a union jobs program and a model of inefficiency. Many years ago when I was doing contract work for the Pittsburgh bus system I will not forget that about 40 bus drivers made more money than the mayor. They gamed the contract and were all pulling in over $150,000 a year driving a bus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Cant see Cobb residents wanting that shit…
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The operating cost would be astronomical while property values would tank.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cobb isn't what it used to be - Atlanta north now
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cobb isn't what it used to be - Atlanta north now
View Quote

We prefer the name New Dekalb or DeCobb for the homies.     I could easily see our Commission bringing this to a vote in the county.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#12]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]
For the love of God, don't bring that shit to Paulding
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially not the ones up through Kennesaw/Acworth......not just No.....FUCK No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For the love of God, don't bring that shit to Paulding
View Quote

Or Douglas County unless it only runs one way going east.

The construction estimates are BS. When MARTA first went in a huge percentage of the funds were grossly misappropriated and directed to friends of politicians. I know one guy that made a fortune off MARTA contracts, a nice percentage went back to the buyers to keep his money train rolling too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
This is fucking dumb.  If you want mass rail transit live ITP.

Quoted:
So glad I left Canton and escaped "Atlanta". Less than 10 years and Canton/Cherokee will be "Cobb". Soon "Atlanta" will be up in Adairsville and Calhoun eventually Chattanooga and Atlanta will be like Dallas-FT Worth!
View Quote

Yup...fucking sucks.  I give us another 3-5 years max.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know anything about Marta. I've been told it's safe but it's not something I'm interested in.  I'm new to GA but I've learned quickly from watching the local news that a good way to get robbed or killed is to venture inside the perimeter.  Even areas near the perimeter are turning into crime magnets.

I dream of the day when we can buy a place in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about Marta. I've been told it's safe but it's not something I'm interested in.  I'm new to GA but I've learned quickly from watching the local news that a good way to get robbed or killed is to venture inside the perimeter.  Even areas near the perimeter are turning into crime magnets.

View Quote

I used it to commute for roughly 6 years, this was in the early 2000s.  Never had issues and would occasionally fall asleep on it.

I wouldn't do it now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I used it to commute for roughly 6 years, this was in the early 2000s.  Never had issues and would occasionally fall asleep on it.

I wouldn't do it now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't do it now.
I've ridden Marta periodically over the last 25 years or so, sometimes every day (work days) for years.  While it's never been great, especially as you are in certain areas, it has definitely become much much worse over the last three years.

I won't take Marta anymore after I got tired of dealing with racist thugs two months ago, and will actively campaign to keep it out of my area if they propose extending it here. In fact, I gladly skip free parking at work where I could take Marta to the airport and gladly now pay $60-$100 to park instead of dealing with Marta and the thugs.

Every time I've ridden Marta in the last three years, if I'm lucky I've only had racist comments thrown my way.  Other times, I've been threatened, been charged repeatedly by some black guy that hates white people, etc...  I have far too many stories to count.  I'm able to protect myself, and have been ready to defend myself if it finally came to that, but I fear with the weak on crime woke mentality of Atlanta's leaders, it is going to continue to get much much worse.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've ridden Marta periodically over the last 25 years or so, sometimes every day (work days) for years.  While it's never been great, especially as you are in certain areas, it has definitely become much much worse over the last three years.

I won't take Marta anymore after I got tired of dealing with racist thugs two months ago, and will actively campaign to keep it out of my area if they propose extending it here. In fact, I gladly skip free parking at work where I could take Marta to the airport and gladly now pay $60-$100 to park instead of dealing with Marta and the thugs.

Every time I've ridden Marta in the last three years, if I'm lucky I've only had racist comments thrown my way.  Other times, I've been threatened, been charged repeatedly by some black guy that hates white people, etc...  I have far too many stories to count.  I'm able to protect myself, and have been ready to defend myself if it finally came to that, but I fear with the weak on crime woke mentality of Atlanta's leaders, it is going to continue to get much much worse.
View Quote

The city, in general, has gotten much worse over the last three years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Nobody wants Marta rail any further than it already goes. The few that did have changed their tune over the last few years.

Marta is competing with GA DOT who's still trying to expand roads and add ramps. If for some awful reason Marta expansion is granted it will take decades to plan, seize the land, and build that shit. We'll all be long gone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#22]
The trend is fewer people work downtown and live far away. I see no reason that would change.

I've been in cities with better transportation networks and the common theme is they either focused on the good parts of town, or the area around the trains appreciated and became an asset. I think Boston and maybe Chicago, A house or apt near the train would be more valuable than one three blocks away.

Atlanta isn't like that. We saw a false start to that being the case in the Atlantic Station and Lindbergh area but Covid reminded people that high-density living can suck and I would imagine some of that is still soft.

The most intuitive extension in my mind would be connecting Alpharetta to the Sandy Springs / Airport line and it's not on the map.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
They did, granted, the main proposal of those votes was focused on archaic buses.

Bringing MARTA up 85/75 could be nice, but it will never happen due to the cost/construction required.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll be checked out way before they ever get that built.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cobb doesn’t want it……… we already have Marta bus connections with CCT and the area around Cumberland Mall and the Battery will turn to crap before long

I am getting out of Cobb soon
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Tyrone has already been going ti shit.  This won't help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in Gwinnett and retired from MARTA after 30 years.

I always voted against it.

Iy ain't for us if you know what I mean.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not that Marta can't or won't take the hint, our lovely county commissioners who were installed during the last election basically said screw the voter's will, and signed over GCT to MARTA for the regional authority.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Very interesting, nothing planned up 400, one of the most congested paths into atlanta.   Maybe the wealthy elites have enough clout there to block an extension up 400 which would be the cheapest route available since there is a buffer zone up the side of the highway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have voted no twice in the last couple years. It has been rejected a lot more times than that. With the increased vibrancy of Gwinnett, I'm sure it will pass the next time with or without help from the Dominion voting machines.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Very interesting, nothing planned up 400, one of the most congested paths into atlanta.   Maybe the wealthy elites have enough clout there to block an extension up 400 which would be the cheapest route available since there is a buffer zone up the side of the highway.
View Quote

Great point. Cumming must have some clout
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I've visited Tokyo twice and here's some insanity of their system, granted they run their insanity ON TIME.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there still room for a Marta rail expansion with the planned 400 lane expansion?  It looked to me like the road expansion in places is where any Marta rail expansion would of gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top