Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2022 9:30:20 PM EDT
Anyone know of a river shuttle service for the upper or lower Etowah river? My fishing partner started working weekends and has screwed up our whole system.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Nomadic Flow in Canton.

I have used them for kayak shuttles up the Etowah from their storefront at The Mill.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Nomadic Flow in Canton.

I have used them for kayak shuttles up the Etowah from their storefront at The Mill.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Do you know if they use a takeout at their storefront area or will they take you wherever you want to go?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you know if they use a takeout at their storefront area or will they take you wherever you want to go?
View Quote

Serious question. With the weather we've had is the etowah high enough?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't been up to the upper Etowah this season but I'm sure it's low right now.

I floated the Conasauga today and it was very low. Probably 3 feet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

No idea. I usually take out at the brewery.

View Quote

Going to float the etowah from East Cherokee late next week. Will report back.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Going to float the etowah from East Cherokee late next week. Will report back.
View Quote

Well?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know of any shuttles on upper Etowah like that. Maybe call and ask at Outside World in Dawsonville.

Sold my canoe and my yak, got 2 fishing boats, so I don't run the river these days. I always had a friend with and 2 vehicles, or I parked at the take-out and got the wife to drop me off. I mostly ran these upper sections:
1. Castleberry Bridge to Hwy 136, (this section has the super-fun mining tunnel).
2. Dawsonville River Park on Hwy 9 to take-out at River Bend Gun Club. If not a RBGC member, take out at Kelly Bridge and pay the fee.

There are websites to check flow/level online. Plan on hiking/dragging some shoals if level at 136 is below 4'.
https://dashboard.waterdata.usgs.gov/app/nwd/?region=lower48&aoi=default
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Apologies...

Two floats.

One from Kelley Bridge to Eagles Beak. 6 miles, 2 hours. Clear all the way. Levels were what I would call normal for summer, meaning knee to waist high or deeper all the way.

Second float was a shuttle run ($10) from Nomadic Flow at The Mill to East Cherokee. Float was 14 miles and change, right at 3 hours 15 minutes. Same conditions.

Next float will be from Dawsonville to Eagles Beak. Probably within the next two weeks. I expect lots of downed trees through Dawson Forrest, but should be deep enough for the whole route.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apologies...

Two floats.

One from Kelley Bridge to Eagles Beak. 6 miles, 2 hours. Clear all the way. Levels were what I would call normal for summer, meaning knee to waist high or deeper all the way.

Second float was a shuttle run ($10) from Nomadic Flow at The Mill to East Cherokee. Float was 14 miles and change, right at 3 hours 15 minutes. Same conditions.

Next float will be from Dawsonville to Eagles Beak. Probably within the next two weeks. I expect lots of downed trees through Dawson Forrest, but should be deep enough for the whole route.
View Quote

14 miles in 3 hours...you were moving. I figure 1.5 to 2mph but, I'm fishing the entire trip.

My last trip through Dawson Forest was a chore. I had to drag my canoe around 4 thick blowdowns.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I was moving pretty quick. The shuttle driver said his record for that section was 3:12 and he was about half my age. Challenge accepted it seems. It was stupid hot and in direct sun and I was solo, so no one to slow me down.

Your pics are my experience with that section as well. Most of the outfitters seem to stay south of there. The only one that may have done any scouting or maintenance was The Outside World in Dawsonville, but I heard they went out of business.

I will post updates after my next float through that section. Will try and get some pics as well.

As an aside, my last trip through there was in the fall of 2020. Put in before the forest in Dawsonville, floated about 50% through that section and camped at the waterfall. See below:

Map located here: http://www.etowahwatertrail.org/interactive-map/

Quoted:

14 miles in 3 hours...you were moving. I figure 1.5 to 2mph but, I'm fishing the entire trip.

My last trip through Dawson Forest was a chore. I had to drag my canoe around 4 thick blowdowns.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52266885388_fa419f24c7_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52265901967_1e126441ac_c.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apologies...

Two floats.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52266885388_fa419f24c7_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52265901967_1e126441ac_c.jpg

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only one that may have done any scouting or maintenance was The Outside World in Dawsonville, but I heard they went out of business.
View Quote

They did.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone been through the Dawson Forest section lately(Hwy 9 to Kelley Bridge)?

Thinking of floating it soon but haven't seen any reports of blowdowns.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Paddled the Dawson Forest section Saturday and camped just down river from "Barefoot Falls." River was surprisingly clear after the rains we got on Friday. Sunday morning was a brisk 31 degrees.

Section is clear with no blowdowns. There were some I had to maneuver around but no full blocks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Paddled the Dawson Forest section Saturday and camped just down river from "Barefoot Falls." River was surprisingly clear after the rains we got on Friday. Sunday morning was a brisk 31 degrees.

Section is clear with no blowdowns. There were some I had to maneuver around but no full blocks.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I wanted to try and do the run from D'ville down to Kelly Bridge, but ended up on the road for the last few weeks and missed my window. Probably a bit too cold now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top