Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2022 7:18:24 PM EDT
Just the wifey and me.  Never been there before.  Plan to stay somewhere downtown and mostly Uber.

Best places to eat?  Places to see, do and visit?  Places to avoid?

Teach me!
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Pirate house is good,
cotton exchange is good,
olde pink house is good
Personally I'd spend the money to stay at the embassy suites at end of the river walk, it's quieter and you can walk all over river st.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pirate house is good,
cotton exchange is good,
olde pink house is good
Personally I'd spend the money to stay at the embassy suites at end of the river walk, it's quieter and you can walk all over river st.

View Quote
Booked the Hyatt Regency, right on the riverfront (got a river view) and it's right in the center of all the action!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're into rocks, the Former Power Plant on River Street has a very interesting exhibition. Huge geodes, quartz, etc. The lovely wife and I went there last fall and that was the only thing that really interested me.

The police don't do a good job dealing with the homeless on River Street, or they're not allowed to. There were quite a few of them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're into rocks, the Former Power Plant on River Street has a very interesting exhibition. Huge geodes, quartz, etc. The lovely wife and I went there last fall and that was the only thing that really interested me.

The police don't do a good job dealing with the homeless on River Street, or they're not allowed to. There were quite a few of them.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go hit Crystal Beer Parlor. Good food and great beer selection. Not as touristy as a lot of other places.

Kevin Barry's Pub on River Street

Fort Jackson

Fort Pulaski

Davenport House and Mercer Williams House tours

Cemetary/Ghost tours

Tybee Beach

Crab Shack on Tybee

Fort Screven/Tybee Lighthouse

As far as places to avoid, stick to where the crowds are and dont go too deep into Indian Territory at night and you'll be fine. Like mentioned, there are a good number of homeless downtown and River St gets rowdy after sunset.

View Quote
Thanks, checking these places out now!  My wife already picked out the Crab Shack last night when we reviewed Tybee Island.

ETA:  Google Maps is saying Kevin Barry's is permanently closed.  It's website doesn't work either.  

Is anyone pushing any masks horsehit?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The City Market area, 2 blocks off the river, is a good area with multiple bars / pubs and usually live music.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a tiny bar called Planters Taven in the basement/downstairs of the Olde Pink House. Super cool bar but very hard to get a spot. Wife & I got lucky and got a spend some time there after dinner at the Pink House.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go hit Crystal Beer Parlor. Good food and great beer selection. Not as touristy as a lot of other places.

Kevin Barry's Pub on River Street

Fort Jackson

Fort Pulaski

Davenport House and Mercer Williams House tours

Cemetary/Ghost tours

Tybee Beach

Crab Shack on Tybee

Fort Screven/Tybee Lighthouse

As far as places to avoid, stick to where the crowds are and dont go too deep into Indian Territory at night and you'll be fine. Like mentioned, there are a good number of homeless downtown and River St gets rowdy after sunset.

View Quote

Good list. Kevin Barry's is my favorite pub on River Street
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mrs & I really enjoyed Alligator Soul.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you for this.

I will be in Savannah for an annual convention in July and I didn't know this.  Will def check it out, and finally make it to the mighty eighth museum also in Pooler.

I think I've done most everything else there over the years.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]
No mask bullshit that anyone is actually following, alligator soul was good but I liked olde pink house better. When I was there in January they had a banner up about masks that everyone ignored and I saw no signs this week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No mask bullshit that anyone is actually following, alligator soul was good but I liked olde pink house better. When I was there in January they had a banner up about masks that everyone ignored and I saw no signs this week.
View Quote
Good.

Thus far, five days, four nights:

- Arrive around mid-day, hit the Mighty 8th.
- Check In, Dinner up in the air right now
- 2 day trolley tour already booked
- Lunch Cruise on the GA Queen et al
- Husk Restaurant booked the last night; Olde Pink not open for another week or so.  
- Last day, check out and go to Tybee Island; Crab Shack for lunch; head for Ft. Valley, GA; peaches to be bought.

Four nights total at Savannah; still have three nights to fill out.  Possibles:

Pirates House
Cotton House
Alligator Soul
Mrs. Wilkes (Wifey wants this, so this one is a given, leaving two really)
Shrimp Factory

The CV-10 tour will be scheduled at a later date specific to Charleston (read: another excuse for a trip).

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good.

- Husk Restaurant booked the last night; Olde Pink not open for another week or so.  
- Last day, check out and go to Tybee Island; Crab Shack for lunch; head for Ft. Valley, GA; peaches to be bought.

Pirates House
Cotton House
Alligator Soul
Shrimp Factory

The CV-10 tour will be scheduled at a later date specific to Charleston (read: another excuse for a trip).

View Quote

If you do peaches in fort valley go to Pearsons and skip the tourist trap that is lane's. You can always do the pink house at lunch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fort Valley is a shithole, fyi. Plan accordingly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Pirates House
Cotton House
Alligator Soul
Shrimp Factory

Fort Valley is a shithole, fyi. Plan accordingly.
Fort Valley is where my wife grew up.  It was a shit hole before she left.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you do peaches in fort valley go to Pearsons and skip the tourist trap that is lane's. You can always do the pink house at lunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Pirates House
Cotton House
Alligator Soul
Shrimp Factory

Pearson instead of Lane's got it.  Actually, we'll probably do both now.  Thanks!

Pink House for lunch, will check it out!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Apparently they are closed permanently now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good list. Kevin Barry's is my favorite pub on River Street

Apparently they are closed permanently now

I had not heard that but just looked, you're right. Sad to see that one go.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#23]
All of the restaurants that you named are popular with the  tourist .   It would be a good idea to get reservations.  Especially for that over priced Pirates House .  Think in terms of buses parked along the curb .  Loaded with tour groups . Delivered just for a meal at the PH.

And do not venture past MLK blvd.  Especially after dark .   Visit the squares and such .  And Savannah has many one way streets in the downtown area .

GD
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is a tiny bar called Planters Taven in the basement/downstairs of the Olde Pink House. Super cool bar but very hard to get a spot. Wife & I got lucky and got a spend some time there after dinner at the Pink House.
View Quote

I'm local and that is one of our favorite spots for date night with the wife and I.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All of the restaurants that you named are popular with the  tourist .   It would be a good idea to get reservations.  Especially for that over priced Pirates House .  Think in terms of buses parked along the curb .  Loaded with tour groups . Delivered just for a meal at the PH.

And do not venture past MLK blvd.  Especially after dark .   Visit the squares and such .  And Savannah has many one way streets in the downtown area .

GD
View Quote
So no walking to the Ghost Coast Distillery located 3 blocks west or the Railroad Museum?    
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Got tons of pics, I'll get them up in a couple days.

Had a great time - I highly recommend going to Savannah for a quick 3-5 day vacation!!!!  Big Thumbs Up!
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Go hit Crystal Beer Parlor. Good food and great beer selection.
View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top