Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 10:04:38 AM EDT
So, I'm a 59 yr old conservative guy retiring in Dec '23 w/ 36.5 yrs in state law enforcement.  I can't wait to get the hell out of Tampa.

I like to fish, duck, hog, deer & turkey hunt & shoot. I've got a 4x4 Frontier and love  being in the Appalachians and snow.

Anyone live up that way? I understand duck hunting isn't that good but what about hogs? I'm assuming I would be good to go for whitetails & turkey. I'm also toying with the idea of Elizabethton, TN & Banner Elk, NC.

Any pointers appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay in Florida. We have enough of you people up here

But to answer your question, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don't recall ever hearing a out anyone duck hunting here in fannin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm from there. Move to TN. It's gotten super expensive to live there. You can't find parking downtown. They're expanding the roads for the next several years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't found any reason to go downtown since Terry sold The Stop.

No hogs that I've seen, thank god. Just weekenders.

Agree with the look north assessment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, they're not lying.  Do a little research on prices.  Realty has gone off the charts here.  

I've owned a 2nd home in Ellijay for three and a half years.  We overpaid.  It doubled in that period of time.  It's unreal.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably a nice place if you buy land deep in the woods where the weirdos fear to tread.  It's beautiful here in GA, I recently moved from central OK where it's basically a whole lot of nothing but tornados and other crappy weather but I've learned some things about GA since moving here.  

First thing, the liberals are doing everything they can to destroy the state like every other liberal infested state before that.  

Second thing, the state government is infested with RINO's and the general public doesn't seem to care.  They just keep getting re-elected or replaced with other RINO's.  They are just democrats masquerading as Republicans. These two things together are a recipe for disaster.  It's just a matter of when it all implodes.

The people are nice and that's a big plus but the state government is a crapshow in a blender.  If GOP voters here don't get invested real fast they are going to lose everything.  

Personally, I'd look for a place with a more stable state infrastructure and buy as much land as possible, as far away from any city as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for 3-5 acres and to build a small 3/2 log cabin type house. Not intending on buying any existing structure. I'm thinking a gravel drive, pole barn and a bunch of red maples, sugar maples & sycamores.

Really, really tired of Tampa, traffic & the weather. I'm in smile & wave mode. May to November it's hot AF here. Parking at the beach sucks, I4 sucks and unless you shoot indoors, you are on slow broil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking for 3-5 acres and to build a small 3/2 log cabin type house. Not intending on buying any existing structure. I'm thinking a gravel drive, pole barn and a bunch of red maples, sugar maples & sycamores.

Really, really tired of Tampa, traffic & the weather. I'm in smile & wave mode. May to November it's hot AF here. Parking at the beach sucks, I4 sucks and unless you shoot indoors, you are on slow broil.
View Quote

OP, we looked all over N. Ga before moving here in 2015.   We bought in Pickens county (about 40 miles south of Blue Ridge) because it is not tourist country and land was less expensive here even though it's closer to Atlanta.  We bought 6 acres and built from scratch.

I can't say what prices are like today but construction in Blue Ridge is crazy.  I'd suggest you either go further north (TN) or look for a less tourist area.  

I don't think you're gonna find maples and sycamores here.  We have lots of oaks and hickories while some areas have lots of pines.  In any case, the mountains are beautiful and the people are friendly.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Move to TN.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
We were in Blairsville this past summer.  Looked in Hiawassee and Murphy NC.
1 thing I've learned, mostly from this forum, they hate Florida people.  
It doesn't matter how many guns you own, or how conservative you are.
We were at a farmer's market.  2 "Karens" were walking, counting all the Florida plates.  I heard one say, "look at them all".  
Besides all that, it is a beautiful place.  The mountains are amazing.
Think it through.  Make a list of pros and cons.
2 cons are, state income tax and it's a blue state.
I have a year + also.  It's not completely off the table.  A lot can happen in that time.
Good luck !
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1 think I've learned, mostly from this forum, they hate Florida people.  
We were at a farmer's market.  2 "Karens" were walking, counting all the Florida plates.  I heard one say, "look at them all".  
I have a year + also.  It's not completely off the table.  A lot can happen in that time.
Good luck !
View Quote

Don't worry.  They're not crazy about us folks from South Georgia moving up there either.  

Good thing I don't need their permission. We've had a 2nd home in Ellijay for 3.5 yrs.  Will be retiring and moving there full time in 5-7 years.  Then I can bitch about the Florida people and the damned flat-landers too.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't worry.  They're not crazy about us folks from South Georgia moving up there either.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck !

Try being from New York.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Try being from New York.
View Quote

Well let's not get ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, I'm a 59 yr old conservative guy retiring in Dec '23 w/ 36.5 yrs in state law enforcement.  I can't wait to get the hell out of Tampa.

I like to fish, duck, hog, deer & turkey hunt & shoot. I've got a 4x4 Frontier and love  being in the Appalachians and snow.

Anyone live up that way? I understand duck hunting isn't that good but what about hogs? I'm assuming I would be good to go for whitetails & turkey. I'm also toying with the idea of Elizabethton, TN & Banner Elk, NC.

Any pointers appreciated!
View Quote

Good deer hunting in the GA mountains? LOL
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck !
View Quote

Try driving by Mercier orchard twice a day your whole life then you’ll understand
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait till the construction starts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I retired and we left NW GA (Canton) and moved to middle GA - south of Milledgeville. Bought acreage, stocked pond and new house. Sold House in Canton for $$$. We looked all over north GA and TN before deciding to move to middle GA for retirement. Deer and hogs are everywhere here. Much cheaper cost of living than north GA. Will be hotter though! I am from Savannah and wife is from Macon - we have family in Savannah and Warner Robins so that also influenced the move.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Try driving by Mercier orchard twice a day your whole life then you’ll understand
View Quote

We have a shit ton of "snow birders" here.  They clog up the roads, restaurants, Dr's offices, you name it.
If that's what you're referring to, I get it.
We just want to get out of SW FL.  Too hot, too much traffic, too much "eeeh, no English".
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We have a shit ton of "snow birders" here.  They clog up the roads, restaurants, Dr's offices, you name it.
We just want to get out of SW FL.  Too hot, too much traffic, too much "eeeh, no English".
View Quote

Yeah don’t get me wrong, your not all asshats lol.  But today is a great example.  My wife wanted to go to Ellijay to eat at the new rooftop place.  We hit 515S and it was just crazy the number of FL and ATL area tags heading south.  After about 20 FL cars driving 55 in the left lane I could t take it anymore and hit a back road into Ellijay.  It just really gets to you on the weekend.  Wanna head to ingles to grab a decent steak to grill, nope they sold out Fri while you were at work.  Wanna go down town to grab a drink and dinner, nope nowhere to park.  And what’s worse is they close most decent restaurants through the week now.  My wife says I let it get to me too much, she’s probably right….  Hey if you got a place within walking distance of the beach I’ll just trade with you!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah don’t get me wrong, your not all asshats lol.  But today is a great example.  My wife wanted to go to Ellijay to eat at the new rooftop place...
View Quote

How was it?
I ate next door at Emily's two weeks ago and wanted to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How was it?
I ate next door at Emily's two weeks ago and wanted to try it out.
View Quote

It was pretty good.  I had the meatloaf and my wife got bologna sliders.  The meat loaf had some sort of sauce on it.  I think it woulda been better with ketchup.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah don’t get me wrong, your not all asshats lol.  But today is a great example.  My wife wanted to go to Ellijay to eat at the new rooftop place.  We hit 515S and it was just crazy the number of FL and ATL area tags heading south.  After about 20 FL cars driving 55 in the left lane I could t take it anymore and hit a back road into Ellijay.  It just really gets to you on the weekend.  Wanna head to ingles to grab a decent steak to grill, nope they sold out Fri while you were at work.  Wanna go down town to grab a drink and dinner, nope nowhere to park.  And what’s worse is they close most decent restaurants through the week now.  My wife says I let it get to me too much, she’s probably right….  Hey if you got a place within walking distance of the beach I’ll just trade with you!!!
View Quote

We've had a place in Ellijay for 3.5 years.  You learn to eat out and do your shopping during the week.  It gets touristy on the weekends.

And we've eaten at The Roof a couple of times.  Very good steaks.  My wife usually gets something other than beef and I can't remember what she got; but I remember she enjoyed it.  Eat outside for the view when the weather is good.  Very good service as well.  Expect a wait if you hit them at peak hours on Friday or Saturday night.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Blue Ridge realtor assistance = two thumbs up

NE TN realtor assistance = one thumb down
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Check the "tri-states" area, NW corner of GA where it meets AL and TN, The Chickamauga valley (McLemores Cove) south of Chattanooga is nice and remote. NE AL is nice in that area as is the entire area east and west of Chattanooga. Of the three I'd say AL and TN are cheapest
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Try being from New York.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck !

Try being from New York.

Go up to Rabun County and tell them where you are from…………I’m from Ga and have lived here all my life, but some of them ask me all the time “ you ain’t from around here, are you”?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I tell people I'm from NY versus FL.

At least NY gets the "Awwwwww bless your heart" look.

FL gets the "Go the hell home" scowl.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Go up to Rabun County and tell them where you are from…………I’m from Ga and have lived here all my life, but some of them ask me all the time “ you ain’t from around here, are you”?
View Quote

I live in Rabun after moving from Metro Atlanta. I love the people in Rabun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I hate to crap on my state but I don't see long-term success here unless thing change PDQ. The Blue Ridge area is nice but expensive and the Atlanta Blight is continuing to encroach up into the hills further and further. I'd at least be open about TN and look at places over there, no state income tax to boot. Oh and GA GOP lubs them some taxes.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wouldn't do that so don't even lie! Certainly BR has changed from the days when 71jeepcj6 would ride his 4-wheeler to downtown but it has also changed a lot in just the 9 years of us living here. I live in Mineral Bluff but work as a SO in Gilmer. Take what these gentlemen have said and either look deep in the Appalachian mountains of Fannin, Gilmer, or Union and only come out once a week or look further north in TN or even Murphy, NC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You wouldn't do that so don't even lie! Certainly BR has changed from the days when 71jeepcj6 would ride his 4-wheeler to downtown but it has also changed a lot in just the 9 years of us living here. I live in Mineral Bluff but work as a SO in Gilmer. Take what these gentlemen have said and either look deep in the Appalachian mountains of Fannin, Gilmer, or Union and only come out once a week or look further north in TN or even Murphy, NC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao I’m gonna move my ass to Costa Rica! Rscott2214 is one of the few move ins that have contributed positively to our community!  Most are retirees, weekenders, or vacationers.  I’d take one Rscott over 87 retirees!!!  At least he can wrangle cattle and slaughter rabbits.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lmao I’m gonna move my ass to Costa Rica! Rscott2214 is one of the few move ins that have contributed positively to our community!  Most are retirees, weekenders, or vacationers.  I’d take one Rscott over 87 retirees!!!  At least he can wrangle cattle and slaughter rabbits.
View Quote

Hopefully next year I'll be one of the retirees you hate so much.  Looking in Union County.
SW FL is not where it's at.  At least for us.  Only thing we have to get used to, is the state income tax, and being in a blue state.
We'll do our best to steer clear of the haters. ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top