Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 9:56:04 AM EDT
My former employer decided that he didn't want my cheerful face around any longer, which in point of fact, is HIS loss.  

I've signed an offer for a different company to do the same work, for equal pay, and they're also going to reimburse me for moving expenses (up to a point), so why wouldn't I?  The plan is to find a cheaper apartment down there and empty out my house.  I can't sell the house until July or I have to pay capital gains taxes on it.  I'd stay in the apartment for a year while I find a new house down there.

Any tips or pointers about where to look for an apartment, where to look for a house, and where to stay away from would be greatly appreciated...
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If it were me I would look outside of the city, Richmond Hill is decent and not too much of a drive depending on which part of Savannah your work will be in. I would gladly spend a little more time commuting in exchange for some peace of mind once I got home.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The office is not far from Georgia Southern University and Hunter Army Airfield.  I'm not against a commute.  Where I live now, it was 40+ minutes to work in the morning, and 65+ minutes home in the evening.  I have a tidy little ranch-style house on a wooded half-acre lot.  I had so many friggin' plans for what I wanted to do with this place.  It was going to be my retirement home.

Oh, well.  C'est la vie.  

Frank Sinatra - That's Life
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Chatham Parkway has a lot of apartments with many new ones in the development stage.  Read reviews as some have some Section 8(a lot of apartments do now).  Pooler also has a lot of apartments and traffic(nice ones off Pine Barren, but I-16 construction is a mess).  There are apartments in Richmond Hill as well, but the traffic is also terrible(good option if you need schools).  There are a lot of apartments around where you will be working, but there are also a lot of crappy ones.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Imma gonna piggy back here…
My son is interviewing for a new position that will have him working in Savannah off of Ogeechee Rd.
So how is that area to work in?
What’s reasonably close to, safe and decent place to live?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imma gonna piggy back here…
My son is interviewing for a new position that will have him working in Savannah off of Ogeechee Rd.
So how is that area to work in?
What’s reasonably close to, safe and decent place to live?
View Quote

Quick update:  It took a couple trips down from ATL to find an apartment.  If you want a good apartment, it ain't gonna be cheap, and if you want a cheap apartment, it ain't gonna be good.  And good apartments that are somewhat reasonably priced get snapped up like crazy.  I was looking on websites like apartmentlist.com, where they claim to have real-time updates of what's available and what's not.  Yeah, that's bull.  I'd find an apartment on there, the site shows that it's available, so I'd drive over there, and the leasing office would tell me, "Our next vacancy is the middle of July..."  

I ended up getting a place off Chatham Parkway near I-16.  A month's rent is just a little more than DOUBLE my current mortgage payment!  But it's a nice place.  @7mm-08 , IM me if you want the name of the place.  When I was there they still had a couple of vacancies, but I don't know how quickly they get filled up.  It's just about ten minutes from Ogeechee Rd though (give or take).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top