Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2021 11:23:40 PM EDT
They've been showing up one or two at a time for a bit but tonight there are a dozen or so hovering the porch lights. I think im going to give the lights a good soak in Demon and leave them on all night tomorrow.

Any tips for hunting for the nest? Its going to be in a tree somewhere but I have no idea how to locate it.

Anyone know what .22 rat shot out of a 16" barrel would do to wood siding before I try some skeet shooting?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If there's that many it should be close by, demon may work but I doubt it sticks to the light well without a mso or crop oil added to it. It's not going to kill them in the nest. The nest is most likely inside a tree trunk, behind a bumper of an old car or in the eve of a building, they built the nests in a more protected area than a bald faced hornet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
They should be must active in the early morning and you may can follow them from the light to the nest.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They've been showing up one or two at a time for a bit but tonight there are a dozen or so hovering the porch lights. I think im going to give the lights a good soak in Demon and leave them on all night tomorrow.

Any tips for hunting for the nest? Its going to be in a tree somewhere but I have no idea how to locate it.

Anyone know what .22 rat shot out of a 16" barrel would do to wood siding before I try some skeet shooting?
View Quote

I do know it doesn't pattern very well at all out of a rifle barrel so it might be tough to hit anything other than real close up.  If you have a .22 revolver it'll work much better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
12 year old found the nest today, no stings. They're in a tree about 12 feet or so off the ground. I gave them an entire can of wasp spray and did some damage but still have a dozen or so hanging around the porch tonight. I'll get a few more cans tomorrow and see what I can do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Malathion is very effective on bees and wasps.  Spray the nest with it.

I just found a yellow jacket nest and will mix malathion in a empty milk jug then pour down the hole at night and the problem will be solved.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just discovered a bald face hornet nest in a shrub tonight I was trimming.

Had to run for the hills to avoid getting lit up.  Nest is about the size of a volley ball from what I can see of it.

Pest control company can have fun with that shit tomorrow.  I've been lit up before and won't make the same mistake again.  Gladly pay someone else to get lit up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what flame throwers are made for. FTS!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, 4 gal of Bifen I/T delivered via a backpack blower and they are toast.

Large nest, what remains of it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

4 gallons diluted I hope other wise that was an expensive ordeal
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

4 gallons diluted I hope other wise that was an expensive ordeal
View Quote

Yeah diluted. Done by my pest control guy. I wasn’t gonna tackle that one by myself. I watched from minimum safe distance.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
So the solution has been 3 cans of wasp/hornet spray in the tree hole to kill off most of what is in there. Then I hosed down all the porch lights with DemonWP and left them on all night.

Saturday AM there were 9 corpses on the porch, Sunday AM there were 7, this AM there was nothing and no more activity at the tree.

I think its mostly taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Top comb

Some casualties

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Good riddance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top