Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2021 1:31:23 PM EDT
because their NFA policy is bullshit and I'd like to let them know that. I went to shoot some 22 this morning at the Powder Springs location and they asked if I had anything NFA. I did and told them. They said "we're required to see your stamp". I politely let them know, they aren't, only the ATF is required to see my stamp.

they gave me more shit so I showed them a picture of it on my phone. OK fine.

then they break out a notebook for me to sign in. With my name, address, phone number, make, model, and serial of my NFA shit. This is an open notebook that others have filled out, so I'm staring at a local list of NFA privileged information. Sorry, but I'm not about to have my information like that shared, especially since as I noticed both of their security doors were smashed out along with a gun case inside.

Ranges need to be pro gun. Pro gun needs to not put up any more barriers to people following the rules.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
This needs to be addressed
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This needs to be addressed
View Quote

Agreed but I would rather address it with someone that matters than a random employee
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't own any NFA stuff but that is seriously messed up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never been to Governor's because I hate shooting indoors but now I never plan on going. That is a fucked up policy to have. Saw the thread in GD as well, I'm sure Governor's will get the attention they deserve now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm friends with some folks that are friendly with one of the managers at the Powder Springs location.  I don't know the lady myself but I'll try to get some contact info later today.  It will be a strange request and I'm not sure I can get it but I'm willing to try.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm friends with some folks that are friendly with one of the managers at the Powder Springs location.  I don't know the lady myself but I'll try to get some contact info later today.  It will be a strange request and I'm not sure I can get it but I'm willing to try.
View Quote

@Cracker-MF I would appreciate any and all help. I know it's an odd request, but I am getting so damn tired of being trampled on for a lawful activity. It's just crazy that even pro-gun places like a very expensive range would be both so ignorant of the laws and cavelier with protected, very personal data.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
That is a crappy policy especially to log it in as well.

I believe the NFA says you must show the stamp to a requesting federal agent - Technically you don't owe it to another civilian.  I normally wouldn't mind showing it to a range to prove it exists but not logging it in.  

Perhaps they are involved in some sort of investigation that was at their site and distancing themselves from it as much as possible.  

The NFA community goes through so much extra effort and expense to comply and they don't need any more hassles from non-LEOs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you have a badge and I'm being detained, you are not seeing my stamps(s) for any NFA items.  FOAD.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw your thread in GD and was . That’s an unbelievable policy and absolutely needs to be addressed or at least made widely known so people can avoid that range. Fuck them for even asking.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you consider calling back or making an appointment to visit the manager?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you consider calling back or making an appointment to visit the manager?
View Quote

I’m having indirect conversation with the owner now. Looking like it was one employee in the wrong. Waiting for official word and will post updates as I get them
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unless you have a badge and I'm being detained, you are not seeing my stamps(s) for any NFA items.  FOAD.
View Quote

^ This......and then some.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp, I will never shoot there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I am local to Governors and have frequented there.  I spoke to one of the owners over there and this is the story I got:

"There was a miscommunication about this. We absolutely do not keep a log of customer owned NFA items. However, we do keep a log of the NFA items that are still in our possession waiting on stamps to come in to facilitate the legal transfer.  While it’s not mandatory, we allow this check-out procedure as a privilege to our customers to check-out and use the NFA product on our premise, of course it can’t leave our property, but they can temporarily use the product while they are awaiting transfer of the NFA item.  We think it’s nice if someone that has spent money on an item can enjoy the item until the legal transfer can occur, a “conjugal” visits of sorts.  These items must be signed out & signed back in to our log after the visit.  Again, sorry for any misunderstanding."

So according to her one of the employees misunderstood the policy and was attempting to log all NFA items.  I am inclined to believe her and give them the benefit of the doubt.  I can certainly understand how the policy may have gotten confused.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, I am local to Governors and have frequented there.  I spoke to one of the owners over there and this is the story I got:

"There was a miscommunication about this. We absolutely do not keep a log of customer owned NFA items. However, we do keep a log of the NFA items that are still in our possession waiting on stamps to come in to facilitate the legal transfer.  While it’s not mandatory, we allow this check-out procedure as a privilege to our customers to check-out and use the NFA product on our premise, of course it can’t leave our property, but they can temporarily use the product while they are awaiting transfer of the NFA item.  We think it’s nice if someone that has spent money on an item can enjoy the item until the legal transfer can occur, a “conjugal” visits of sorts.  These items must be signed out & signed back in to our log after the visit.  Again, sorry for any misunderstanding."

So according to her one of the employees misunderstood the policy and was attempting to log all NFA items.  I am inclined to believe her and give them the benefit of the doubt.  I can certainly understand how the policy may have gotten confused.

View Quote

Thanks for that update. I have emailed them directly but still not heard back. I don’t love that.

I had 3 employees “helping” and all of them were mistaken about how things are supposed to go. I certainly hope it gets shaken out by the time I go back
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like they don't train their employees very well.  I wonder how many customers they've run off because of that without realizing it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Their range.....their rules

I have seen the same policy at Numerous ranges

PS>..I am a member at Governors.  There often.  Normally I just tell the guy the caliber I am shooting and let them take their magnet to the bullet tip.  They are more concerned about that than NFA.  I routinely bring my Mp-5 here
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
GA firing Line is much more NFA friendly than that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
GA firing Line is much more NFA friendly than that.
View Quote

GA Firing line is the bee knees...... Purchased all my NFA items there.

That said, the ranges at Gov. are WAY nicer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I was about to say I recently saw someone post something similar on the ODT forums….then I realized that was your thread as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top