Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2021 12:54:25 PM EDT
Good afternoon gents,
I am about to accept a position with my employer that will have me moving to the greater Douglasville area. The warehouse I’ll be working at is a little south of Sweetwater Creek State Park. I’ll be primarily looking at apartments in that area, or within about a 30 minute drive of where I’ll be working. That being said I have a couple of questions:
1.) Any areas I should absolutely avoid at all costs?
2.) Pistol permits. How does one go about getting a permit?
3.) Decent ranges?
4.) Good churches?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know zero about that spot.
View Quote

I've seen at least one member who lives there post a few times that it's going down the tubes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Areas to avoid at all costs: Douglasville
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There are still suburban neighborhoods in Douglasville that are okay.  Stay out of the city proper.  I lived on the border between Douglasville and Villa Rica, and it was very quiet.  Of course, I moved away from there a few years ago so things may have changed.  Stoddard's is a fairly new, fairly clean gun range but just like any gun range, prices for guns and ammo are a bit high.  Sweetwater Park itself is a nice place to go for a quiet stroll.  I'm pretty sure there are places there you can go fishing, if you get the yen.  There are a few nice hibachi-style restaurants around town - the one I preferred was Sumo Japanese Steakhouse.  There's a Cajun restaurant in downtown Douglasville called Gumbeaux that  I've never been to, but it's supposed to be good.  Other than that, it's just pretty much small-town suburban life.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m in the area , next to it.

Hit me if you’re interested in some outdoor shooting and a good church.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m in the area , next to it.

Hit me if you’re interested in some outdoor shooting and a good church.
View Quote

Awesome, will do! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Q2, you have to establish residency and get a GA DL. Then you’ll  go to the Probate Court of the County you reside and apply for a GA WCL and they’ll direct you where to go for your fingerprints. The County website will have all the info.
Remember GA is a permit State for CC or OC. Welcome to GA and Stacey Abrams very soon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Q2, you have to establish residency and get a GA DL. Then you’ll  go to the Probate Court of the County you reside and apply for a GA WCL and they’ll direct you where to go for your fingerprints. The County website will have all the info.
Remember GA is a permit State for CC or OC. Welcome to GA and Stacey Abrams very soon.
View Quote

Thanks! Looks like I picked a hell of a time to move over there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
If I were you I would accept a longer commute over living in the area you are looking at. I'm in SW Douglas, my business is near downtown D'ville, in all honesty I can't recommend living anywhere in Douglas County now, especially in apartments. Maybe a small rental house in a rural part of the county but never any of the apartment complexes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, that ought to tell you something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Areas to avoid at all costs: Douglasville

Well, that ought to tell you something.

Depending how fast u drive. I would look further west towards AL. Better schools and cheaper taxes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I were you I would accept a longer commute over living in the area you are looking at. I'm in SW Douglas, my business is near downtown D'ville, in all honesty I can't recommend living anywhere in Douglas County now, especially in apartments. Maybe a small rental house in a rural part of the county but never any of the apartment complexes.
View Quote

You got any leads on a small rental house?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll keep my eyes open for one, there are a few in my area that come available occasionally. There are several on one road I usually commute on but I've had to detour around them lately for a bridge replacement. If I can remember I'll cut through there on my way home today.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll keep my eyes open for one, there are a few in my area that come available occasionally. There are several on one road I usually commute on but I've had to detour around them lately for a bridge replacement. If I can remember I'll cut through there on my way home today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
I’m looking at making my move in the next three weeks to month.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I work in Douglasville. I would not suggest living here either. I can ask some coworkers tomorrow about rentals. A couple of them moved out to Bremen to get away from Douglasville.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have spent some time in Douglasville recently for work.  It was the first time I ever really visited there.

Like others have said, try to stay further west.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I work in Douglasville. I would not suggest living here either. I can ask some coworkers tomorrow about rentals. A couple of them moved out to Bremen to get away from Douglasville.
View Quote

Any info you could get for me would be greatly appreciated. For what it’s worth, I’m moving from Birmingham.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any info you could get for me would be greatly appreciated. For what it’s worth, I’m moving from Birmingham.
View Quote

The good news.....AL has reciprocity with GA currently.....so if you have an AL CCW, it will work while applying for residency and then CCW in GA....
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in Southern Part of Douglas County - Somewhat central between several medium sized towns Douglasville, Carrolton, and Newnan.

I prefer Coweta and Carol county towns - but the countryside is fine by me.

Douglasville isn't as bad as the reputation here - It has dropped from former quiet quaint niceties as is its been infiltrated by sprawl and city encroachment bringing city like politics, traffic and so on.  Gabes downtown is a great little restaurant and they have another in Villa Rica.  I find generally people are polite and decent - South and or west of Douglasville is less sprawl and more scenic.  

I typically shoot at an indoor Range in Newnan - Seems like I like the longer drive with less traffic for things I need and go there or Carrolton.

Where do people go for group outdoor shooting?

I've got lots of toys I can bring and share!  Just hard to find ammo!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in West Cobb, marietta just a bit north of where you're looking. It's nice, feels rural but still has stores and restaurants. Lots of national parks and old developed neighborhoods so it's unlikely to get cheap apartment development any time soon.

I like Governors gun club in powder springs. Indoors but nice and hasn't been crowded, good selection. I miss the outdoor ranges of texas but literally everything else about living in GA is better. Even the BBQ
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank y’all for the input. I’m leaning towards a place in Temple and driving about 35 minutes or so to my job. My first day at my new facility is 6/21, and I have the week of 6/14 to finish moving and setting accounts and stuff up. Once I’m settled in I’d love to meet up with some of y’all and put a face to a username.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank y’all for the input. I’m leaning towards a place in Temple and driving about 35 minutes or so to my job. My first day at my new facility is 6/21, and I have the week of 6/14 to finish moving and setting accounts and stuff up. Once I’m settled in I’d love to meet up with some of y’all and put a face to a username.
View Quote

I grew up in Douglasville it has changed a whole lot in that time, the northside on the Paulding county line is good to go. Bunch of subdivisions off 92 sweetwater church road/austin bridge area that are nice my parents live over there. I live near temple now its a nice quiet area but I would stay away from advance bullets for sure.

would stay away from the city area in douglasville as well as anything on fairburn road, HWY 5, and anything close to douglas boulevard, the south east side is pretty quiet and has some nice areas as well. down Hwy 5 past dog river is pretty decent area and then towards fairplay but the houses/subdivisions out there are older.

Temple is a good area not a whole lot there but there is an ace hardware, waffle house, ingles, small police department that likes to run plate readers, decent mexican restaurant, and a few fast food restaurants. Haralson County is solid conservative as well as Carroll county which borders it i cant say the same for douglasville as it has gone full on democrat in the last decade.

sweetwater creek park is a pretty decent place to get an easy 5 mile hike in but has been crowded lately, carrollton has a 15 or 18 mile greenbelt loop modeled after the silver comet trail that pretty close to temple/douglasville as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info! I’m heading over tomorrow to check out a place in Temple and a place in Lithia Springs, as well as where I’ll be working. Of the two places I’m looking at, Temple is the most appealing. Thank y’all again for the feed back!
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info! I’m heading over tomorrow to check out a place in Temple and a place in Lithia Springs, as well as where I’ll be working. Of the two places I’m looking at, Temple is the most appealing. Thank y’all again for the feed back!
View Quote

Temple is a laid back place. It used to be a booming textile town but most of that market went across the pond. I know several people out that way and they all like the slower pace. As mentioned, not a lot going on there but that adds to the appeal in a way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Once you get moved and settled in come to one of the meets/shoots.
View Quote

Oh I definitely will!
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Look at stuff in Paulding county or Carroll. I think you get the bonus of no emissions inspections as well in Paulding county. You want to stay west of Douglasville.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Look at stuff in Paulding county or Carroll. I think you get the bonus of no emissions inspections as well in Paulding county. You want to stay west of Douglasville.
View Quote

I’m staying west of Douglasville. I drove over yesterday and scoped out the two places I’m looking at staying, and had my list narrowed down to one by the time I got back to Birmingham. Unless something changes, I’m locked in on Temple. The drive from there to where I’ll be working isn’t terrible during the day, and shouldn’t be too bad with the shift I’ll be working, 5pm-12:00am or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, Paulding requires emissions. I just had to get mine done earlier this week.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#30]
What type of sax do you play?
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link to Douglas County Probate Court, which is the .gov agency that issues the permit.

https://www.celebratedouglascounty.com/219/Probate-Court

Link to Georgia Weapons Carry License is further down the page.

I know nothing about Douglas County, but played alto, soprano and bari thru high school. Haven't picked one up in 30+ years.

ETA: welcome to GA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What type of sax do you play?
View Quote

Alto/tenor
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Alto/tenor
View Quote

I was a Baritone but hell it's been almost 20 years.

I bet i could still belt out some scales though...
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was a Baritone but hell it's been almost 20 years.

I bet i could still belt out some scales though...
View Quote

I played bari a good bit in college. Most of my playing the last several years has been alto/tenor at church and with a bunch of local big bands.
I have played all of them at some point. I never fully liked soprano, bari gave me a shit eating grin. Alto/tenor were my bread and butter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’m staying west of Douglasville. I drove over yesterday and scoped out the two places I’m looking at staying, and had my list narrowed down to one by the time I got back to Birmingham. Unless something changes, I’m locked in on Temple. The drive from there to where I’ll be working isn’t terrible during the day, and shouldn’t be too bad with the shift I’ll be working, 5pm-12:00am or so.
View Quote

They have had a road work project on I-20 for a few years. Right now it is in the villa rica-temple phase so sometimes you want to avoid it, it will be easier for you to go down 78 and get on 20 at villa rica sometimes, and get off in villa rica and taking 78 back to temple. not all the time but the hours they work on it are kind of weird and if there is a wreck on the villa rica to temple section of I-20 it will be shutdown for a while. not a huge deal i normally just look at maps and see if its shutdown or not before i head that way then pick a route.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They have had a road work project on I-20 for a few years. Right now it is in the villa rica-temple phase so sometimes you want to avoid it, it will be easier for you to go down 78 and get on 20 at villa rica sometimes, and get off in villa rica and taking 78 back to temple. not all the time but the hours they work on it are kind of weird and if there is a wreck on the villa rica to temple section of I-20 it will be shutdown for a while. not a huge deal i normally just look at maps and see if its shutdown or not before i head that way then pick a route.
View Quote

I hit the Temple portion this morning. Nothing like trucking along and then all of a sudden traffic is at a standstill. I got a lot of my small stuff moved in today, with the rest coming later this week. I think I’m going to like the area a lot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Once you get moved and settled in come to one of the meets/shoots.
View Quote

Came here to mention this. Angry Emu range is an awesome perk.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Came here to mention this. Angry Emu range is an awesome perk.
View Quote

I’m fully planning on it
Just from what I can tell, the Ga HTF is a lot more active than the AL HTF. I can’t wait to get settled in then meet some of y’all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top