Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 7:51:13 AM EDT
There was a cyber attack on the Colonial Pipeline, they just shut it down. Prices and supply about to be sucking.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Have a link to said news story? Not seeing anything in the web news yet?

Eta, nevermind, found it on wsb.com
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I filled up the Tundra (38 gal) and the Land Cruiser (22 gal) with regular, then my boat and two jerry cans with 90 octane ethanol-free "recreation" gas. Heard it on WSB while driving home this evening.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone who didn't heed this advice is likely feeling it today.  

I topped off cars, boat, ATV's, Generators, and Gas Cans once I saw the pipeline was hit.

Drove to airport this a.m. and more gas stations were out of fuel than not, the handful that weren't had LOOOONG lines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone who didn't heed this advice is likely feeling it today.  

I topped off cars, boat, ATV's, Generators, and Gas Cans once I saw the pipeline was hit.

Drove to airport this a.m. and more gas stations were out of fuel than not, the handful that weren't had LOOOONG lines.
View Quote

Fake news, the NY Times said so

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
this is my answer. the drum, not the water siphon. i keep these around. if it looks like things might get scarce, i fill one or two of these, plus my car. 15 gallons.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
BP near me (Jenkinsburg) is out if gas, south of Locust Grove.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
In and around Hwy 41 Marietta up through Cobb is a disaster.....Only 2 stations had gas and the lines were insane.

Diesel appears to be in decent supply.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are all crazy. Press secretary says there’s nothing to worry about, media isn’t covering it. I mean if we were out of gas the media would let us know.

BTW #1 is awesome, never realized it was so easy to conserve gas if you just don’t put any in your tank.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
We've got enough gas for our truck and car, but not enough for our mower.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Good thing I can walk to the pub
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I filled up the Tundra (38 gal) and the Land Cruiser (22 gal) with regular, then my boat and two jerry cans with 90 octane ethanol-free "recreation" gas. Heard it on WSB while driving home this evening.
View Quote

pics of Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

pics of Land Cruiser.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@RamblinWreck

They require Land Rover pics.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Filled up yesterday.. Guy i work with said to work from home today because work was slower and Canton was out of gas.  Unfortunately working from home made me go out and buy liquor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I filled up on the way home from work. West Cobb/east Paulding has almost no gas. I appreciate the station that raised the price in one day from $2.58 to $3.44 a gallon. He still has gas. The state taking off the gas tax has not made a difference. I saw a couple of stations got gas overnight .
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quite a few stations out in rural NE GA got deliveries in yesterday, things didn't seem as bad but no telling how long that will hold.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, ok. Kind of a shitty day for pics, boat is in the way because I'm going fishing, needs a wash, tires are dirty... who cares, tank is full.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK, ok. Kind of a shitty day for pics, boat is in the way because I'm going fishing, needs a wash, tires are dirty... who cares, tank is full.

https://i.imgur.com/Cjec0Fx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6yu2mOk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pLVJdPG.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.....Me likey
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Cjec0Fx.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6yu2mOk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pLVJdPG.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Pipeline is back up and running.  Game on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/colonial-pipeline-back-online-energy-secretary-says
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#26]
So surprised to see the Racetrack had gas and no line, the kroger across the street did not have gas.  Filled up the wife's car and feeling happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm between Acworth and Dallas and pickins' were sparse over here yesterday. I saw a tanker truck at the neighborhood gas station off the beaten path that I usually go to and the retards were swarming that station creating a mess in the roadway. I'm staying home the rest of the week with the exception of going to the liquor store on Friday. Fuck all this madness. I want one fucking month where something isn't going off the rails, it is seriously starting to wear on me. I swear this country is fucked due to all the sheep out there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in the south Cherokee county area.

Any gas that is available is swamped with crowds filling up jerry cans and plastic totes. Had a bike trip planned for western NC this weekend that looks to be put on hold. Perhaps the crazy will subside by Saturday/Sunday.

FWIW - I would really like to have a small window without crisis, but I think we are just entering into the real madness. Not sure we will see relief until next spring or summer.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#30]
It'll probably take until the end of the month for everything to get totally sorted out.

In a prior life I dispatched fuel trucks for a year.

Most of the newer (built in past 10-15 years) stations have regular unleaded underground tanks that hold ~30,000 gallons. The Larger stations (costco, sams, QT/RT with 30 pumps) usually have two of the 30k tanks manifolded together for 60k. Smaller corner stations might only be able to hold 8-10k gallons.

A fuel tanker can hold ~8500 gallons regular unleaded, 7500gallons diesel.

So if just one station is completely empty with their 30k gal tanks it would take ~ 3.5-4 loads just to get them full. The super stations would take 7 loads. And that is just for one station.

Average driver can run 4-5 loads per 12hr shift, more if the station is closer to the terminal. But there are sure to be long lines for the delivery drivers at the terminal as well.

So while the panic will subside, it won't be uncommon to see select outages for the next 2-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Now that the Russians see how fast they can cause mayhem with their cyber attacks it's going to bust open if these companies don't start spending bigger bucks on cyber security.  Every USA hating nation out there is going to up their electronic attack game because it just became painfully obvious the people in charge of our private sector infrastructure are not prepared.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now that the Russians see how fast they can cause mayhem with their cyber attacks it's going to bust open if these companies don't start spending bigger bucks on cyber security.  Every USA hating nation out there is going to up their electronic attack game because it just became painfully obvious the people in charge of our private sector infrastructure are not prepared.
View Quote

Army added cyber as a battlefield long ago. This is nothing new and not the first.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Army added cyber as a battlefield long ago. This is nothing new and not the first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I was referring to the private sector.  That's where we are way behind the curve.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#35]
They paid a cool 5mil to unencrypt their systems, should have took the recommendations seriously in 2018.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

America and Americans should have never started negotiating with terrorists.
View Quote

True....I wonder if what I heard was true and all of Colonial pipelines stuff runs on 80s tech, that should be hard to hack cause it's from before any of the hackers were born
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They paid a cool 5mil to unencrypt their systems, should have took the recommendations seriously in 2018.

It all boils down to a simple cost-benefit analysis.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw that Colonial paid $5mil to these COC suckers
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I was told about all this Friday the 7th at about 7:30PM. My boss at work his brother works for Colonial. Bother Called him and told him get gas now pipeline is going down and IT is on the way in and someone has called DHS and doesn't expect them to know much more than they know. We all left work and FILLED up. I got home and filled the wife's car up and tow of the extra 5 gallon cans.
Idiot at the station said "you cutting grass now".
I laughed and said "Get gas when you get off work."
I don't hate the guy he just "WONT SHUT THE FUCK UP"..
ANYWAY. Sunday He was all "dude I should have listed."

These idiots at Colonial should have had the ENTIRE FUCKING LINE that they FUCKING own STRUNG FOR FIBER!!!! AND had it all controlled from a single site that people had to go into to work at a desk with a computer. NOT losers home computer can log into company infrastructure and control it.

FUCK THESE COMPANIES!!!!!  

THE grid will go down not because of EMP not because of MicroNova BUT Russian hackers wanting money OR Chinese saying we will just Stick the tip in and then GO BALLS DEEP!!!!

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was told about all this Friday the 7th at about 7:30PM. My boss at work his brother works for Colonial. Bother Called him and told him get gas now pipeline is going down and IT is on the way in and someone has called DHS and doesn't expect them to know much more than they know. We all left work and FILLED up. I got home and filled the wife's car up and tow of the extra 5 gallon cans.
Idiot at the station said "you cutting grass now".
I laughed and said "Get gas when you get off work."
I don't hate the guy he just "WONT SHUT THE FUCK UP"..
ANYWAY. Sunday He was all "dude I should have listed."

These idiots at Colonial should have had the ENTIRE FUCKING LINE that they FUCKING own STRUNG FOR FIBER!!!! AND had it all controlled from a single site that people had to go into to work at a desk with a computer. NOT losers home computer can log into company infrastructure and control it.

FUCK THESE COMPANIES!!!!!  

THE grid will go down not because of EMP not because of MicroNova BUT Russian hackers wanting money OR Chinese saying we will just Stick the tip in and then GO BALLS DEEP!!!!

View Quote

So, the pipeline proper is owned by several oil companies (Koch, Royal Dutch Shell, a South Korean company and others), but is operated by Colonial Pipeline Company which is HQ’d in Alpharetta. It was Colonial Pipeline Company (the operator, not the owner) that was hacked. $5M is less than a speeding ticket to the folks that OWN the pipeline.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

True....I wonder if what I heard was true and all of Colonial pipelines stuff runs on 80s tech, that should be hard to hack cause it's from before any of the hackers were born
View Quote

"Security through obsolescence" isn't a real security strategy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top