Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 4:01:10 PM EDT
Long story short I registered a couple of kayaks so I could put motors on them a couple years ago. I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago about back taxes on those “boats”. They said they sent out a letter a year or so ago valuing them at 10,000 and $15,000 each. If I didn’t agree with the value I could send the form back in and have the value adjusted. I never received that paperwork. They are worth about $1000 together. Anyway they’re saying I owe about $800 total taxes on them and they’re claiming nothing can be done to change that amount. Does anyone know if I can’t do anything about it or who to contact.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Long story short I registered a couple of kayaks so I could put motors on them a couple years ago. I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago about back taxes on those “boats”. They said they sent out a letter a year or so ago valuing them at 10,000 and $15,000 each. If I didn’t agree with the value I could send the form back in and have the value adjusted. I never received that paperwork. They are worth about $1000 together. Anyway they’re saying I owe about $800 total taxes on them and they’re claiming nothing can be done to change that amount. Does anyone know if I can’t do anything about it or who to contact.
View Quote

I don't have much help to offer but they're really difficult about it. When I moved to GA they valued my old Yukon at like $2800. It had a broken speedometer, broken gas gauge, and a giant dent on the side and faded paint. I got it for $100. I paid like $7 to register it in FL but over $500 to register it here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They said they sent out a letter a year or so ago valuing them at 10,000 and $15,000 each.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Go there in person, you should have done that the first time around and talked to someone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go there in person, you should have done that the first time around and talked to someone.
View Quote

I did that they’re claiming nothing could be done about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Which county?

Metro ATL I can see them being single minded. Rural counties not so much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Muscogee
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wife is an attorney and said this:

"He either needs to hire an attorney who deals with commercial real estate/valuations or non-IRS tax issues and go from there. They will likely charge more than the tax bill though because that's going to be a billable hours job for them. He'd be better off to pay the taxes and move on."

Ouch.
View Quote

Thanks,
That's how I figured this would/will turn out I'm still going to see how far I can take this on my own
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a bill of sale for purchase. It would be very helpful to determine the base value with that. Especially so if you bought new
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Bureaucracy run amok.  I hate this for you.  This is the kind of crap our forefathers tried so hard to protect us from.  Unfortunately it's still alive and well.

Honestly I'd try to find an attorney.  The people you are dealing with aren't going to back down because they hold almost all the cards and they just don't care if they are screwing over John Q. Public.  I have no idea how you'll end up when it's over from a financial perspective (as in what will cost more: fighting it or paying it) but I know which one will leave you feeling better afterwards at least.  There's always the chance that they will concede to some degree simply to avoid the cost of a legal fight.  

It's not much but I wish you the best!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top