Brothers.
Please tell me about Albany.
My wife has a job assignment there.

Which areas are to be avoided  ?
You are my boots on the ground.

All my best,  Ottosear.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like rich and vibrant, good luck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much all of it
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the flood of 1994 destroyed like half the town. I don't know if they ever fully recovered but it is a very rough town.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Think Detroit but in Georgia
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Look for a home in Lee County.  It's immediately North of Albany.  70% of Lee County works in Albany.

Lee has slightly better taxes; much better schools; less crime; etc.

Eta.   Overall, plenty of good folks in this area.  Summer heat & humidity are brutal.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@joker581 lives in that area I think.

Albany is kind of rough from my experience. If you're coming from Wisconsin it's going to be a real culture shock. Prepare for brutally hot summers in addition to all that.

Where will she be working? Not a lot of big business down there that I know of besides the Marine Corps Logistics Base,  Miller/Coors (which has been scaled way back on production), and Phoebe Putney Hospital. Those are ones I've worked in anyway.
View Quote

Phobe Putney Hospital .
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Its that bad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They’re not known for being a great employer. For example, they recently had an EC staff meeting where nurses brought up their unsafe staffing ratios(4+:1 when 2 or 3:1 is the normal safe standard) and they were told that if the ratio was 3:1 then they’d spend too much time slacking off instead of working. There’re similar mindsets all over the place there.
View Quote

Meh, they say that pretty much at EVERY hospital.

I can tell you that *most* ER's aren't 1:3 or 1:2 staffing, but it depends entirely on patient acuity...basically, patient ratios can be very fluid depending on the situation.

@ottosear I sent you an email through the site...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Air condition all the things.....My wife had a car with no AC when we met....she was born in MI and raised in NW Indiana and seriously didn't think AC was a necessity.....I'm looking at building a small shop in my back yard, I have already sourced a 2.5 to AC unit for it and I'm just thinking about building it.....
Is this a permanent move or a temp assignment as a contractor?
View Quote

4 months long.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I would second the lee county area, in all seriousness it not as bad as it is made out to be, I've got friends and family that live in the area. The hospital isn't in the best part of town but not the worst either. I'll give Phoebe credit, they saved my mom's life three years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been to Albany twice as an adult and had catastrophic vehicle issues on the way home from both trips.

I'm not saying I'll never go back, but if I do, it'll be in a rental.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Google "worst places to live" or "most dangerous cities to live in Georgia" or whatever.

Albany consistently ranks in the top 10 in Georgia and top 50 in the nation on crime.  But at least it has dominated the top of the Georgia's list for unemployment for several decades.

The latest I could find was this January 2021 article, which listed Albany as the 3rd most dangerous city in Georgia.  But I can't complain because my office is located in the number 2 city on the list.  

If you go to Albany after dark; be prepared and only go in well-lit non-isolated areas.  (That's probably good advice for any urban area)  You'll be fine.  I've been in the AO since 1977 and never had an issue, except for a few property crimes when I had an office in Albany.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you Learn to pronounce it All Binny your chances of survival go up slightly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1,000
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just checked....Wisconsin has reciprocity with GA....does she have a carry permit?
View Quote

Yes.
And she can out shoot me and my cousin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes.
And she can out shoot me and my cousin.
View Quote
When does she start her assignment?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When does she start her assignment?
View Quote

Mid March, one of the nurses who she currently works with...
Knows a Doctor at Phoeby Putney.

He loves it, from what she was told.

Mrs. O, is renting a condo on a golf course.

It should be halfway decent. I am driving down, with her and flying back.
It should be OK, years ago we were in Columbus, GA. That area seemed OK.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mid March, one of the nurses who she currently works with...
Knows a Doctor at Phoeby Putney.

He loves it, from what she was told.

Mrs. O, is renting a condo on a golf course.

It should be halfway decent. I am driving down, with her and flying back.
It should be OK, years ago we were in Columbus, GA. That area seemed OK.
View Quote

Most towns have gotten worse since you was here last. Albany is not as bad as Columbus. But it ain't great. I echo Lee county is where you want to buy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Back in the day we called it small benny. But he's right it's not All ban knee it's albinny.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Back in the day we called it small benny. But he's right it's not All ban knee it's albinny.
View Quote

Separate as if you were saying two words:  Awl (pronounced slow with a drawl) - bennie (pronounced normal speed)

eta.  Also be familiar with non-standard pronunciations of towns and counties in the local area.

Houston County - Hows (as in house) tun cown tee
Cairo, GA - Kay row Jaw Ja
Buena Vista GA - Bee You Na Vis Ta Jaw Ja
Cusseta, GA - Cuss Eee Ta Jaw Ja

One of my old Southern drawl-talkin' friends who is now deceased used to say, "Here's some presidential trivia.  Do you know that Jimmy Carter is the only president who didn't speak with an accent?"  
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#27]
We are from the Milwaukee area.
That's...
M' woky Wah sconnn zin, to folks everywhere else.

Jaw Ja on m' Mind.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Most towns have gotten worse since you was here last. Albany is not as bad as Columbus. But it ain't great. I echo Lee county is where you want to buy.
View Quote
I'm with you on that.  

Albany isn't/wasn't too bad.  There are good sides and sides to avoid.  I have never spent much time there after dark either.   Years ago doublegate area was ok but not sure if it still is.  

I was born and raised on a farm in northern Lee Co so of course I'm a little partial to it.  Lee Co has changed drastically since I was a kid.  I remember when we got our first red light in the county.  

Worth co may be worth checking out, especially if you like deer hunting.  They some of the biggest bucks in the state.

Things you need to know...
Gnats!!!!  You don't get used to them, just more tolerant.
Rattle snakes and Gators...  never mind these, Gnats crawling in your ear thumping your eardrum every 1.37 seconds in the July/August heat while working on truck/tractor/lawnmower/irrigation/anything outdoors.  My hatred for gnats has become unhealthy hence why I now reside above the Gnat line.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys got me all concerned.
I think it's pretty nice down here.

The hooptie cars all have license plates.
The girls at Publix are friendly AF.
EVEN the ones that don't work there.

Mrs. O is staying in LEE COUNTY.
And if you've ever visited the Northwoods of Wisconsin,
It would seem pretty similar.

Pecan trees right next door.
And the roads are decent.

Thank you all.
I feel better about everything.

And Jason280 went all out
Mrs. O didn't call, because of the opinion she wanted to form herself.

Cheers Otto.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Great to hear!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad to hear it's working out, I'd rather you get over prepared by the htf than show up blind.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Welcome!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#33]
If you hear a word that sounds like hired they may be talking about someone named Howard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Gotta tell you all...

Chicken must be the all time favorite meat here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Chicken used to be cheap and the south was known for low wage jobs. My dad used to tell us one of the happiest days of his life was when he got old enough to go help his dad at work and got a wing for supper instead of a back or neck to gnaw on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top