Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 2:05:06 PM EDT
I want to take this time to encourage every person here to get regular cardio checkups .   Male and Female .

I had some chest pains 2/8/2021 . Been having them.    As luck would have it my primary doc got me an appointment with cardiologist same day .   He got me on the schedule for surgery within 12 hours .

I ' m now the proud owner of 3 stents .   With 2 or 3 more to go . Still recovering .  Ya'll please don't ignore or play down the warning signs like I did .

I knew it was serious when I was asked if I had a Will .  And that I would last till the end of the week if I put this surgery off .

Ya'll take care .

gd
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you got that taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yikes, glad you got that handled in time!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Red .   And also thanks to you Brandi .

gd
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I started regular testing at 45, bad hearts run in both sides of my family. (hypertension too)
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, this.

My father had a heart attack the day before his 49th birthday, heavy smoker, recovered without surgery, did the rehab, quit smoking and lived a good active life until cancer got him at the age of 82.

I have been worried about mine since that day and with some serious bouts with acid reflux ( it will create chest pains), my doctor asked if I had ever had a calcium heart scan - I had not, but with my family history he suggested I spend the $100 and go to the basement of St. Josephs for one that day. Best $100 i ever spent for the peace of mind as my results came back at 0-10% calcium build up. The actual words from the nice lady were "you won the genetic lottery"

SO, genetics and lifestyle both play key roles in heart health, but pay attention to the lifestyle as that is the only controllable variable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad they caught it. Hope you are doing well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want to take this time to encourage every person here to get regular cardio checkups .   Male and Female .

I had some chest pains 2/8/2021 . Been having them.    As luck would have it my primary doc got me an appointment with cardiologist same day .   He got me on the schedule for surgery within 12 hours .

I ' m now the proud owner of 3 stents .   With 2 or 3 more to go . Still recovering .  Ya'll please don't ignore or play down the warning signs like I did .

I knew it was serious when I was asked if I had a Will .  And that I would last till the end of the week if I put this surgery off .

Ya'll take care .

gd
View Quote

I got one Stent in mid-LAD (widowmaker) about a year ago. Opened up an 80% blockage.
I was on borrowed time. The stress test didn't find it, but the 600+ calcium score panicked the cardiologist and got me to the front of the line for treatment. He said go home, relax and do nothing stressful at all until your cath appointment.

They went through my right wrist. I felt immediate relief. As in... felt like the elephant was off my chest before leaving the cath lab.

The right coronary is still 100% blocked though. Cardiologist said i would need bypass to replace it, but new vessels have already grown around it so I could leave it alone and just Stent the LAD.

I was ok with not having my chest split open.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got one Stent in mid-LAD (widowmaker) about a year ago. Opened up an 80% blockage.
I was on borrowed time. The stress test didn't find it, but the 600+ calcium score panicked the cardiologist and got me to the front of the line for treatment. He said go home, relax and do nothing stressful at all until your cath appointment.

They went through my right wrist. I felt immediate relief. As in... felt like the elephant was off my chest before leaving the cath lab.

The right coronary is still 100% blocked though. Cardiologist said i would need bypass to replace it, but new vessels have already grown around it so I could leave it alone and just Stent the LAD.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya'll take care .

gd

Damn Racer ,  hope you are alright and that you never need another procedure.  Live a long and happy life .

I know that I plan to .

gd
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, glad to hear you're okay brother!  I hope things smooth out for you.

A good reminder for all.  My wife's father passed this time last year, mostly from heart failure and other affected organs.  Some of it is genetics, the other half is doing what you can to improve your personal health while you can.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ya'll take care .

gd
View Quote

Glad your doing okay.  What kind of pains were you having?  I had some pain in my chest.  Kind of sharp, but very brief tweaks.  My doctor didn’t seem too concerned.  But I haven’t lived the best life for heart health and for some reason, I can’t shake worrying about them.  Any other issues related to the blockages?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glad your doing okay.  What kind of pains were you having?  I had some pain in my chest.  Kind of sharp, but very brief tweaks.  My doctor didn't seem too concerned.  But I haven't lived the best life for heart health and for some reason, I can't shake worrying about them.  Any other issues related to the blockages?
View Quote
@lucky_13
That's how mine was.  I had what I thought were minor twinges of pain in my chest when I would hike uphill.  After a couple episodes of this I decided to see my PCP and he got me an immediate appointment with a cardiologist.  Long story short, within 10 days of seeing my CPC I had four stents. My LAD was 90% blocked. This was in 2012, I was 58 at the time and have a family history of CAD.  If you don't need a referral, I'd make an appointment with a cardiologist.  Or go back to your PCP and be more adamant about your chest pain.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Glad your doing okay.  What kind of pains were you having?  I had some pain in my chest.  Kind of sharp, but very brief tweaks.  My doctor didn’t seem too concerned.  But I haven’t lived the best life for heart health and for some reason, I can’t shake worrying about them.  Any other issues related to the blockages?
View Quote

I believe that my situation started like you describe for yourself .   Basically low level pain that I ignored for a very long time .  About 5 years .   Yes chest pains that ran across the upper chest and on some occasions the pain traveled up both sides of my neck into the jaw .    A simple walk from the mailbox could and did bring this on .

I also had a PCP that blew of my concerns .   Found another PCP and he just about freaked .   Sent me directly to a cardiologist who made emergency preps for surgery .  Think 3 days compressed into 1 .  Was it serious ? Told to get my affairs in order and have a will for the wife .  

If you want my advice don't put this off like I did .  Have a stress test done . Insist if you have to .  And hopefully it will either clear your mind or give you a chance to do something about it .

I asked the doc if my situation had anything to do with diet .  Without hesitation he said Heredity .

Hope this helps .

gd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top