Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2021 8:54:48 PM EDT
Where I moved from we had Eastern Fox squirrels but I never saw gray  squirrels.  Here all I see are gray squirrels and no fox squirrels.  

The habitat map says they should be here and they are "eastern" fox squirrels so I expected there would be more here than in Oklahoma but I'm not seeing them anywhere.  

Do you guys see many fox squirrels where you live?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only ever seen fox squirrels below the Fall Line. The first one I ever saw was black with a white face. I thought it was a monkey.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
That's strange.  According to their habitat map they should be everywhere around here.  Too bad, I really love watching them.  They were thick in Oklahoma and they get huge.  I watched one sit on top of our swing set and eat a lemon sucker like a human child.  I don't know where it got the sucker but it seemed to really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to see a black ground squirrel on my way to work with some regularity. He was about 6 miles from the range and would cross the road from some woods into someone's front yard that had lots of pecan trees. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a couple of years. Nor have I ever seen any on my property. If I ever did, I'd not shoot them cuz they are really scarce in these parts, and like you, I enjoy watching them.

Kind of like quail in GA at this point. When I bought my land in 1987 there were 2 wild coveys on my property that used to scare the dog manure out of me on a regular basis when I would inadvertently walk them up! I hadn't seen any in  25 years, until last spring when I saw 2 adults with about a dozen chicks crossing the road at the power line cut. I haven't seen them since, but I keep hoping to see them again. The local quail hunters claim that it's a combination of the small farms going away, coupled with the explosion of fire ants, that have killed off the wild coveys. If you want to hunt quail in middle GA, you'll be shooting at pen raised birds, not wild coveys, anymore.

Grey squirrels, on the other hand, are durn near a nuisance, and need to have the herd thinned, dramatically, on a regular basis!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only ever seen fox squirrels below the Fall Line. The first one I ever saw was black with a white face. I thought it was a monkey.
View Quote
We have them on a couple of the local golf courses, they mainly like to stay where there are a lot of large, mature pines.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The DNR will also tell you there are no cougars here and will deny any claim to the contrary like their life depends on it, but I have seen one with my own eyes and know some other eye witnesses who have seen them. Its also illegal to shoot them... you know, the animal that doesn't exist here

In other words, take anything the DNR says with a 50lb bag of salt.
View Quote

Years ago I was bowhunting for deer in a part of Oklahoma where there weren't supposed to be any cougars.  Long story short I ended up with a big one about 10 feet away as I hid behind a tree.

It had been following my scent from downwind of where I had been still hunting.  At the time it was illegal to have any firearms on you for any reason during bow season.  I had a bow that I could never draw in time and my knife was in my backpack so I was essentially unarmed.  It was absolutely terrifying watching that big cat tracking up to me.  It made these low guttural sounds as it got closer, sniffing the ground and then the air.  I guess when it got to the spot where my scent was strongest and couldn't see me behind the tree it gave up.

Fortunately for me it chose the direction opposite of where I was standing or I may not have survived that one.  All alone, in the middle of nowhere and nothing to defend myself with.  It could have ended very badly.  

For the next few years afterwards more and more sightings were being reported.  They even got a picture of one walking across the schools baseball diamond when a local cop came across it during his patrol.

I will NEVER let myself be caught like that again.  I will always carry a BIG knife that's easily accessible and a hand cannon whether I'm hunting squirrels or taking a nature walk.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Years ago I was bowhunting for deer in a part of Oklahoma where there weren't supposed to be any cougars.  Long story short I ended up with a big one about 10 feet away as I hid behind a tree.

It had been following my scent from downwind of where I had been still hunting.  At the time it was illegal to have any firearms on you for any reason during bow season.  I had a bow that I could never draw in time and my knife was in my backpack so I was essentially unarmed.  It was absolutely terrifying watching that big cat tracking up to me.  It made these low guttural sounds as it got closer, sniffing the ground and then the air.  I guess when it got to the spot where my scent was strongest and couldn't see me behind the tree it gave up.

Fortunately for me it chose the direction opposite of where I was standing or I may not have survived that one.  All alone, in the middle of nowhere and nothing to defend myself with.  It could have ended very badly.  

For the next few years afterwards more and more sightings were being reported.  They even got a picture of one walking across the schools baseball diamond when a local cop came across it during his patrol.

I will NEVER let myself be caught like that again.  I will always carry a BIG knife that's easily accessible and a hand cannon whether I'm hunting squirrels or taking a nature walk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DNR will also tell you there are no cougars here and will deny any claim to the contrary like their life depends on it, but I have seen one with my own eyes and know some other eye witnesses who have seen them. Its also illegal to shoot them... you know, the animal that doesn't exist here

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably escaped from that Tiger King’s park.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Fox squirrels are few and far between. Grays are everywhere and I have even seen a flying squirrel in the woods on my property until the owl discovered him. Now it is just grey squirrels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't know there were flying squirrels in Georgia.  That's cool, I've never seen one other than on TV.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
There are a couple places where I’ve seen a bunch of fox squirrels in GA, but they’re definitely not common. There was one stretch of pecan orchards I used to drive past every day for work where I saw them frequently. There’s another place near my grandparents’ house.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Startled me the first time I saw one, heard something on my wall, went out and shined a light on it and it jumped to glide to one of my trees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't know there were flying squirrels in Georgia.  That's cool, I've never seen one other than on TV.

Startled me the first time I saw one, heard something on my wall, went out and shined a light on it and it jumped to glide to one of my trees.

I’ve got video of one at my house. It was funny. I had no idea they were here until a friend that does wildlife rescue told me. I’ve been in the woods in GA all my life and had never seen one. The next week I set a game camera up over the duck hole on my place. A raccoon just happened to knock the camera to the side and it caught a flying squirrel maybe 5’ away.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Years ago I was in a hunting club n Morgan county, there were fox squirrels in abundance there.

When I was a kid I caught a flying squirrel in a home made box trap, I had it in a bird cage in my bedroom. One day while I was at school it managed to get out of the cage and terrorized my poor mother. I had to let it go after I caught it, it was behind the curtains in the living room. Before it got out of my bedroom it chewed the corner off an encyclopedia that was on my desk, I recently found that book while cleaning out the old home place after my dad died. That brought back some memories.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a big black/grey white face fox that lives on the property next door. I hope he/she has a mate as it would be cool to have a few more around
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a big black/grey white face fox that lives on the property next door. I hope he/she has a mate as it would be cool to have a few more around

ETA....My boys came close to exterminating the local guy population. I had to put them on hold for a year or two to let some move in or grow up
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are Black Panthers all over middle Ga. I've seen them in Taylor, Emanuel, and Burke Counties.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA....My boys came close to exterminating the local guy population. I had to put them on hold for a year or two to let some move in or grow up
View Quote

That would be a cool one to see.  It would be interesting to see if the grey face is dominant and passed on.  I think the melanistic black is dominant but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be a cool one to see.  It would be interesting to see if the grey face is dominant and passed on.  I think the melanistic black is dominant but I may be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen them on both my properties on opposite sides of Burke County. They've all had black faces.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fox squirrels are a rare sight to the point that people tend to shoot/mount them if they ever actually see one. I've been in the woods most of my life in middle Ga and can count on one hand the amount I've seen in the wild.

Grey squirrels are friggin delicious by the way.
View Quote
Especially with dumplings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Most everything is good with dumplings...squirrel, chicken, rabbit.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Saw my first Georgia fox squirrel today.  I would never have seen it except it miscalculated it's jump from the house to a tree and went kerplop in the yard.  Then it ran across the grass, ran up the tree it missed and layed on a branch where I could get a good look at it with the binocs.  Pretty sure it was embarrassed so it was trying to be invisible lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Plenty of fox squirrels down here, the grey squirrels are near houses and the fox squirrels stay in the woods
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Saw my first Georgia fox squirrel today.  I would never have seen it except it miscalculated it's jump from the house to a tree and went kerplop in the yard.  Then it ran across the grass, ran up the tree it missed and layed on a branch where I could get a good look at it with the binocs.  Pretty sure it was embarrassed so it was trying to be invisible lol.
View Quote

What color was it? They come in several varieties, and was it pretty durn big? Most of the ones that I have seen were pretty chunky! I haven't seen many, but I've enjoyed each siting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#31]
It was sort of grayish brown fur on the back but underneath it goes to a reddish brown and it was definitely bigger than the gray squirrels running around.  I'm surprised it's the first fox squirrel I've seen around the house since moving in.  That's about 2 months now only seeing gray squirrels.  If that one fox squirrel is here there must be more of them.  I need to start paying attention.  The only binoculars I have are an old one of those tiny 8X compact Tasco models and it's not the greatest clarity anymore.

I wish I had a decent camera so I could take pics of the critters I run into around here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was sort of grayish brown fur on the back but underneath it goes to a reddish brown and it was definitely bigger than the gray squirrels running around.  I'm surprised it's the first fox squirrel I've seen around the house since moving in.  That's about 2 months now only seeing gray squirrels.  If that one fox squirrel is here there must be more of them.  I need to start paying attention.  The only binoculars I have are an old one of those tiny 8X compact Tasco models and it's not the greatest clarity anymore.
View Quote

Funny that! I've not seen that combination before. I've seen black & white, and some tan with black speckles. I'll bet that was a pretty squirrel!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top