Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2021 7:56:05 PM EDT
I need a change of scenery for my own sanity. Most of you probably know why. Every morning I drive the same road that I drove 8 months ago to see my son for the last time.

It's killing me.

I've maybe got a chance to transfer in grade to Savanah. If it happens I need some no bullshit advice on where to live.

My basic requirements.

No HOA. NOT NEGOTIABLE.
3br 2ba
Acreage. I've got 9 acres now and love it.
Within an hour or so of Savanah.
Good internet

Wouldn't mind a place on the river but that's not a must.

So y'all that know where to look and where to avoid please let me know. I don't think I'll have the grandkids as of right now so schools are not really important.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen Richmond Hill and Pooler recommended a lot by members here in the past.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen Richmond Hill and Pooler recommended a lot by members here in the past.
View Quote

Pooler is near the airport and south Carolina  if that's even a concern. A little south and a little west sound like where you seek.
Richmond Hill
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into Bulloch County.  Exit 127/132 area.  Savannah will be 155+, so about 30 miles.  Lots of land for sale, rural but close to I16
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Richmond Hill.  I love it, but to be honest coastal life is not all its cracked up to be.  I came from the ATL area and was glad for the change, but honestly the bugs are ungodly.  I personally thing the mountains are the ticket.  However, if you are set on it, look at Bryan County and coastal liberty county. Depends how far you want to live by Savannah. The farther south you want to go, the closer you are to Jacksonville Fl.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
All I know about Savannah is that there's a live nuke laying just offshore that was lost in an aircraft accident and deemed too dangerous to attempt recovery if I remember correctly.  It was originally considered "missing" for the longest time because they didn't know where it landed but I think a group of guys found the location a few years ago by measuring radiation using tech that wasn't available at the time of the accident.

It's been a few years since I've read anything about it so....?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Look into Effingham county.

North of Rincon, GA or Guyton, GA area. Lots of acreage for sale in that area, and easy to get to Savannah - 45 mins or so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend who loves living in Liberty County, but it is quite BLUE.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Savannah area is a great place to be carried away by biting insects ...
View Quote

Jose Grecos de Muertos.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have lived in Midtown Savannah for many years and in Pooler as a young child.  I love it, but the schools have driven me to buy 20 acres outside Guyton in Effingham County.  I'll probably sell the property and retire back to Savannah after the kids are all gone.  The Rincon area is nice as well with good schools.  Recent improvements to Hwy 21 and I-95 have made traffic much better.  I-16 is undergoing a widening project at this time.  That will increase commute times to Bulloch County area significantly now, but once finished the commute will be much better (expect a year).  Southeast Bulloch is a wonderful area and has terrific schools.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have lived in Midtown Savannah for many years and in Pooler as a young child.  I love it, but the schools have driven me to buy 20 acres outside Guyton in Effingham County.  I'll probably sell the property and retire back to Savannah after the kids are all gone.  The Rincon area is nice as well with good schools.  Recent improvements to Hwy 21 and I-95 have made traffic much better.  I-16 is undergoing a widening project at this time.  That will increase commute times to Bulloch County area significantly now, but once finished the commute will be much better (expect a year).  Southeast Bulloch is a wonderful area and has terrific schools.
View Quote

I work in Guyton!  Nice to see another local here on arfcom.

edit:   *snip*  I mixed up counties!  Disregard my old comment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bulloch (OP - Richmond Hill is in Bulloch) is nice, but one negative about commuting to there is that there's only 2 bridges (i95 and hwy 17) over the river to that side.  If an accident happens on one of those bridges/roads, commute time increases considerably no matter which route it is since everyone will be going on either bridge.  There's no multiple alternative routes like Effingham county (OP - it's Rincon, Guyton, Springfield) have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bulloch (OP - Richmond Hill is in Bulloch) is nice, but one negative about commuting to there is that there's only 2 bridges (i95 and hwy 17) over the river to that side.  If an accident happens on one of those bridges/roads, commute time increases considerably no matter which route it is since everyone will be going on either bridge.  There's no multiple alternative routes like Effingham county (OP - it's Rincon, Guyton, Springfield) have.

I think you mean Bryan County instead of Bulloch Co.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think you mean Bryan County instead of Bulloch Co.
View Quote

Whoops! Yes.  sorry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Savannah area is a great place to be carried away by biting insects ...
View Quote

In town is not bad because we have mosquito control helicopters.  

I was out surveying a property in a low area west of Savannah (Bloomingdale) last year and was attacked by mosquitos so large they could bite my legs through my jeans.  I've seen crane flies (mosquito hawks) that were smaller.  I saved a handful of them I killed and showed the wife and kids when I got home.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guyton is quiet little town.  Hard to believe you could find work there.  I'm working steadily to get moved up on our property within a few years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Long County is what you seek. Very rural still and close enough to Savannah for your requirements. Housing market is insane right now though. PM me if you'd like me to recommend a realtor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Long County is what you seek. Very rural still and close enough to Savannah for your requirements. Housing market is insane right now though. PM me if you'd like me to recommend a realtor.
View Quote

As insane as west ga? My house went from 155 to almost 300 in 5 years....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Real estate is a shitshow all over the state at the moment. If I'm being honest, I wouldn't buy a property right now...prices will settle down in a year or so, but right now? Hellllll no.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Real estate is a shitshow all over the state at the moment. If I'm being honest, I wouldn't buy a property right now...prices will settle down in a year or so, but right now? Hellllll no.
View Quote

Problem is finding a rental with 4 dogs and a cat that isn't in the ghetto....
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's going to be a miracle if you do find one!

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I know when we bought our house in December it was insane.  The real estate agent was trying to prep her lists of houses to show us but by the time she had the list ready half the houses had already sold and most of the other half had sold before showing.

Our house in OKC sold within a few hours of the open house which was just a couple days after listing it.  People are buying houses like crazy.  The problem isn't finding a house you like for sale, it's getting to it before someone else does.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right about that.  Our house in OK sold so fast we didn't have a new one to move into.  We have five cats and rentals are hard to find that are ok with pets.  We looked at "pet friendly" extended stay motels but they are only "friendly" if you have one pet.  Then they charge big fees per day per pet so 5 cats equaled YIKES!  Needless to say that wasn't an option.  We were fortunate that we had family who put us up until finding our house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top