Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2021 6:42:26 PM EDT
Just got a solid deal on a Dan Wesson Valor 1911.  I had been looking for a while and they're hit or miss on production for availability.  Anyways, set my bid and ended up winning.  Did the coordination with seller and my FFL; money sent to buyer.  Buyer contacts me about the new sales tax Gunbroker is getting hit with (state dependent).  Seller said Gunbroker just instituted it for 2021, he was unclear on the process as well.  Looks like they charge the seller the tax, so that gets handed off to the buyer. Had to send another $122 just for the sales tax.  Ouch.  That was the only advantage of on-line orders was that if I couldn't find a local deal that was at least no more than $100 of what I could find on line, I saved money ordering on line.  At least with my local FFL who runs a pawn shop, I get some great deals on total price out the door...taxes just getting started.  It's about 8% which is the local sales tax, but I couldn't find who's getting the tax as the seller was from Illinois.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's true. There was a GD discussion a while back. The main gripe is they are doing it for all states with sales tax regardless of whether the state has demanded them do it or not.

Also most sellers who are not businesses are not technically authorized to collect sales tax, it's the buyers responsibility to remit the tax due to their home state.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it's true. There was a GD discussion a while back. The main gripe is they are doing it for all states with sales tax regardless of whether the state has demanded them do it or not.

Also most sellers who are not businesses are not technically authorized to collect sales tax, it's the buyers responsibility to remit the tax due to their home state.
View Quote

Yeah, he's a business, but we were both a little flummoxed by it.  When you "proceed to checkout", it calculates the tax, adds it to the total and then said to contact seller for shipping charges.  It's baked in, but wasn't clear on who's paying it.  Seller said he found out that Gunbroker would subtract the tax from his account which seems odd.   Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that if the tax % is 8% across the board, be prepared.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's how they intend to kill internet sales of EVERYTHING, not just gun related stuff....this is just the beginning....since they have a pretty good idea just how much business is being conducted online, they know how much tax revenue they are losing from those sales.  And since every transaction leaves a paper trail they know who to collect from.  This is also the main reason they want to eliminate cash entirely, so they can tax EVERY transaction, even if it's just you buying something from your neighbors yard sale.  This will continue to expand and will ultimately result in the shutdown of many website sales across the board.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to 2018 South Dakota vs Wayfair Tax Lawsuit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top