Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2020 12:42:05 AM EDT
I've only seen one gun store ever that had several different kinds of AR triggers on display mounted in the little hand held chassis so you can actually try them.  Even that store eventually did away with the display.

I'm curious if there are any stores around Atlanta that offer the same kind of display?  I really want to start upgrading my AR triggers but it's extremely difficult to know what you prefer just by reading a product description online.  My most recent build is a 6.5 Grendel that I put a LaRue MBT-2S in.  I wanted a safe but lighter weight two stage since it's a hunting/longer range target gun.  The LaRue seems great for the money but I don't have anything to compare it to.  

I want to put another 2 stage in my Beowulf which currently has a terrible milspec in it.  I want to put a better than basic milspec single stage in my Colt LE6920 and I'm still undecided on my M&P15-22.  

I hate just making a guess based on a product description or on what someone else says suits them.  Is there an option to that kind of trigger shopping?  Being on a very tight budget doesn't help things.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep your fingers crossed for a Spring Shoot at the Angry Emu this year. I suspect that across the 35-50 attendees and their 200+ weapons, which will be available for your inspection, you'll find nearly any trigger that you'd care to test represented. And you could actually use them to fire some rounds, as opposed to just dry firing. For that matter, I'd be willing to bet that the Night Vision Shoot on 1/23 at the Angry Emu will likely have a fair amount of different triggers as well. Out of the many folks who I know personally that will attend, every single one of them would be thrilled to let you finger their trigger if you were so inclined!!!

Seriously though, that's the best way to try out different triggers, and just another good reason to show up at the HTF Shoots!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
At least one shop in Alpharetta has the display with 6 lowers. But it doesn't really matter, I think LaRue has the best triggers going and the best prices. Sure the big G is good and I have one in my scar, but it was at least 3x the cost and I can't say it's 3x better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep your fingers crossed for a Spring Shoot at the Angry Emu this year. I suspect that across the 35-50 attendees and their 200+ weapons, which will be available for your inspection, you'll find nearly any trigger that you'd care to test represented. And you could actually use them to fire some rounds, as opposed to just dry firing. For that matter, I'd be willing to bet that the Night Vision Shoot on 1/23 at the Angry Emu will likely have a fair amount of different triggers as well. Out of the many folks who I know personally that will attend, every single one of them would be thrilled to let you finger their trigger if you were so inclined!!!

Seriously though, that's the best way to try out different triggers, and just another good reason to show up at the HTF Shoots!
View Quote

I talked to my sis about the shoot and if her schedule allows, we'll be there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least one shop in Alpharetta has the display with 6 lowers. But it doesn't really matter, I think LaRue has the best triggers going and the best prices. Sure the big G is good and I have one in my scar, but it was at least 3x the cost and I can't say it's 3x better.
View Quote

Do you remember what shop it was?  I'd like to check them out if I find myself nearby.  

I agree about the MBT-2S, I'm a fan.  I've been super happy with everything made by LaRue.  I'm considering the single stage version for my Colt but it doesn't quite have the following the 2 stage has so I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you remember what shop it was?  I'd like to check them out if I find myself nearby.  

I agree about the MBT-2S, I'm a fan.  I've been super happy with everything made by LaRue.  I'm considering the single stage version for my Colt but it doesn't quite have the following the 2 stage has so I'm not sure.
View Quote

I have the 1S in my nightstand gun but I think Mark set the weight way to high, the 2S is in most of my guns.

I’ve got a small collection of AR triggers I’ve taken out to replace with MBTs and a Larue trigger tester. Think there’s an AR gold and several G triggers. If someone will vouch for you and you pay shipping I could let you fiddle with them for a week or two. Or if your local we could meet up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have the 1S in my nightstand gun but I think Mark set the weight way to high, the 2S is in most of my guns.

I’ve got a small collection of AR triggers I’ve taken out to replace with MBTs and a Larue trigger tester. Think there’s an AR gold and several G triggers. If someone will vouch for you and you pay shipping I could let you fiddle with them for a week or two. Or if your local we could meet up.
View Quote

That’s the best deal going right there!

I’ve got some SSA-e’s, Hi speed National match, DMR’s and a few MBT’s if you’re around Woodstock.

I really like the HSNM. I can just about get 3rds in the air before the first one hits at 500 with it. And while I like it and have a few, the MBT-2S is the best for the price.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What would you guys recommend for a single stage under $150?  I want something that's not too light as it'll go on a home defense gun but also not something that's 5 pounds either.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If my sister's schedule allows we'll be there for the night shoot.  If not, hopefully the next one

Either way, once we get things settled in the new house we will over to visit you Emu.  My trigger finger is going through withdrawals.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Depending upon what day you catch us on at TruPrep in Marietta, we’ll have 3-6 different triggers installed in AR’s behind the counter.  A mix of Geissele, LaRue, ALG, and more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What would you guys recommend for a single stage under $150?  I want something that's not too light as it'll go on a home defense gun but also not something that's 5 pounds either.  
View Quote

MBT-1S
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depending upon what day you catch us on at TruPrep in Marietta, we’ll have 3-6 different triggers installed in AR’s behind the counter.  A mix of Geissele, LaRue, ALG, and more.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

MBT-1S
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MBT-1S

Does it seem overly heavy? One of the drawbacks for me is the 5 plus # pull weight.

Hopefully I'll find one to try one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Does it seem overly heavy? One of the drawbacks for me is the 5 plus # pull weight.

Hopefully I'll find one to try one of these days.
View Quote

5#? Not sure it’s that heavy but I don’t have a scale.  It’s heavier than I want it to be but it still runs faster than most folks can hit targets. If you want to shoot groups you want the 2S anyway not the 1S.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Some of this is personal opinion, so try them yourself and figure out what works for you.

For instance, I prefer single-stage for my precision rifles and 2-stage for my general purpose carbines.  That’s what works for me, and it goes back to the weapons that I was initially trained on.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
According to LaRue, the 1S is 5.5# with the light spring and and 6.5# with the heavy spring.  I've always considered 4.5# the most I'd want.  If I remember correctly it's also the lowest allowed trigger weight considered safe for CMP competition.

The 2S says it's a 2.5# first stage and a 2# second stage for a total 4.5# but mine definitely feels heavier to me.  I thought maybe I put in the wrong spring but nope.  I don't have a pull weight gauge either so it's probably exactly what it says it is but just seems heavier.  My first Grendel had a Rock River National Match 2 stage trigger that is listed at 4.5 to 5# but feels much lighter than my MBT-2S

My concern with the 1S is that if my 4.5# 2S seems heavier than 4.5# then the 5.5# 1S may seem that much heavier.  I seriously need to get a trigger gauge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of this is personal opinion, so try them yourself and figure out what works for you.

For instance, I prefer single-stage for my precision rifles and 2-stage for my general purpose carbines.  That’s what works for me, and it goes back to the weapons that I was initially trained on.
View Quote

I agree.

I've always preferred the 2 stage for hunting or target rifles and a single stage for defensive carbine use, so reverse of your preference.  

Prior to getting my first Grendel with a 2 stage I had no experience with that type trigger with the exception of my Savage Accu-trigger which is sort of a 2 stage.  I quickly came to prefer them for more precision type shooting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Martin's coins and firearms. Call first if you're not close by to make sure they are still out. Sorry for not stating in my reply.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you

I'm pretty late to the game as far as learning how much a good trigger matters.  I only ever had experience with milspec triggers and the thought of spending $100 to $300+ for a different one sounded insane.  With age and experience comes wisdom fortunately.  Better late than never.

I still have a ton to learn when it comes to precision shooting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Shooters of Columbus has one such trigger chassis the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#20]
GA gun store in Gainesville has a few trigger chassis set up. Not sure what they have in them though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Are the Rock River Arms "Two Stage Match Trigger Kits" ($95 from the manufacturer: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1339 ) still regarded as being decent triggers?  Back in the day, they were one of the best triggers available.  But I haven't shopped for an AR trigger in well over 10yrs...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
My first "aftermarket" trigger was a RRA 2S NM.  It's currently in my sister's Grendel.  As much as I hate saying it (because I gave that trigger away for my LaRue MBT2S) but, so far, that RRA NM feels considerably better than my LaRue.  Not as well made and not nearly as strong but definitely easier to shoot.  As in it feels considerably lighter and easier to make more accurate shots.  I'm a aftermarket trigger noon so that's the best descriptions I have.  I may have to try and get another one.

My MBT 2S feels good but it feels a little too heavy for what I want.  I didn't like the wide shoe at first but now I think I prefer it.  It just feels too heavy for trying to punch small groups in paper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My first "aftermarket" trigger was a RRA 2S NM.  It's currently in my sister's Grendel.  As much as I hate saying it (because I gave that trigger away for my LaRue MBT2S) but, so far, that RRA NM feels considerably better than my LaRue.  Not as well made and not nearly as strong but definitely easier to shoot.  As in it feels considerably lighter and easier to make more accurate shots.  I'm a aftermarket trigger noon so that's the best descriptions I have.  I may have to try and get another one.

My MBT 2S feels good but it feels a little too heavy for what I want.  I didn't like the wide shoe at first but now I think I prefer it.  It just feels too heavy for trying to punch small groups in paper.
View Quote

Interesting. You mentioned three host rifles and none of them are up to bunching small holes in paper unless I’m missing something.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting. You mentioned three host rifles and none of them are up to bunching small holes in paper unless I’m missing something.
View Quote

Must be missing something.  The Grendel with the RRA NM shoots well, it's the rifle I gave to my sister when I built my new one.  

The new one has the LaRue MBT in it.  It doesn't have enough rounds through it to know for sure how it will shoot but so far so good.  The MBT is a nice trigger it just feels heavier than I prefer for this type rifle.

The Beowulf has the really terrible milspec trigger in it and accuracy isn't impressive although that may have also been due to the optic which I recently replaced.  I haven't been able to shoot it since swapping optics but either way, it's trigger is awful.

The Colt has a factory trigger that's been gone over is much better than factory but not awesome.  Still shoots well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Must be missing something.  The Grendel with the RRA NM shoots well, it's the rifle I gave to my sister when I built my new one.  

The new one has the LaRue MBT in it.  It doesn't have enough rounds through it to know for sure how it will shoot but so far so good.  The MBT is a nice trigger it just feels heavier than I prefer for this type rifle.

The Beowulf has the really terrible milspec trigger in it and accuracy isn't impressive although that may have also been due to the optic which I recently replaced.  I haven't been able to shoot it since swapping optics but either way, it's trigger is awful.

The Colt has a factory trigger that's been gone over is much better than factory but not awesome.  Still shoots well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thought we were talking about these three.

Quoted:

I want to put another 2 stage in my Beowulf which currently has a terrible milspec in it.  I want to put a better than basic milspec single stage in my Colt LE6920 and I'm still undecided on my M&P15-22.  

Which one do you want to use for making small holes in paper?

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't know you were over at TruPrep..... Great crew there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I didn't know you were over at TruPrep..... Great crew there.
View Quote

I’m the Armorer there now.  I’m there as often as I can be.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are the Rock River Arms "Two Stage Match Trigger Kits" ($95 from the manufacturer: https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1339 ) still regarded as being decent triggers?  Back in the day, they were one of the best triggers available.  But I haven't shopped for an AR trigger in well over 10yrs...
View Quote
These are great deals. I have a couple in rifles. Before I went with mainly Geissele triggers I had a lot of RRNM triggers. They are a hidden gem in triggers
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well obviously I want them all to shoot as accurately as I can.   Their original configurations aren't the best they can be, so while I can't afford to do much else, I want to at least improve their triggers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top