User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2018 2:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YourCoWorker]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emu] [#1]
The Angry Emu Range

The Angry Emu is a private range near Madison, GA. Location (Click on the satellite view to take you to Google Maps.) It was built by, and for the members of the GA HTF. It is the home of the GA HTF Spring & Fall Shoots, as well as a monthly 2-gun Run-N-Gun Shoot, known as the RedWolf Challenge. The range is open and available, 7 days/week to members of the HTF, with the prior permission of Emu. IM me here to get my contact info, so that you may text or call me to let me know when you're coming out to shoot. Bringing friends and family with you is definitely encouraged! There have been several extended family get-togethers, as well as a couple of corporate shoots in the past. If you're interested in that type of event, let me know. We also have a camping area with limited electric and water, which is adjacent to the range.

As can be seen in the pics and vids above, the range consists of 5 sturdy rifle benches and 3 prone platforms, with backstops at 100/150/200 yards, and a ~30'~ x 25 yard pistol berm. There are multiple steel targets in place at all the backstops as well as the pistol berm. There is a prone platform behind the pond which will stretch the 200 yard berm to 300 yards, but it precludes the use of the other parts of the range, as can be seen why from the pic above. There is also another prone platform that extends the 200 yard backstop to 460 yards. But, that platform is for use with special permission only, as you're pretty much shooting past my house. There are currently no facilities for shooting clays at the range, but if you want to bring a thrower and shoot clays off the dam, or from in front of the rifle benches, you are welcome to do so. As time and funds allow, future plans include a bridge across the creek, to allow for a 300 yard backstop from the rifle benches, and access to a "Fast and Furious" full auto pit. Redwolf51 and Tok762 have been organizing and leading the charge on maintenance and improvements.

All the normal range rules apply. They are listed on the website posted above. There are a few special ones that also apply which were not covered on the website:
1) Be sure to close the electric gate behind you, as this is my horse's pasture and we'd prefer her to not get out.
2) Before shooting, please check in the woods behind the backstops to make sure the horse isn't hanging out back there.
3) Please pick up all your brass. If you don't want it, there are buckets out there for it. We'll eventually sell it to help finance maintenance and improvements.

There are no membership dues or fees to use the range. Unfortunately, I have had neither the time, nor the funds, to build, maintain, and/or improve the range. However, your donations of $$$, materials, or labor are always welcomed! They will always go 100% toward maintenance, and improvements to the range! Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to own the dirt, but I am proud to say, ALL the rest has been the product of our HTF's labor and generosity over the last 6+ years! I invite all the members of the GA HTF to consider the Angry Emu Range if you are looking for a place to shoot. This range has been built by, and for YOU, and is way too nice a facility to be so underutilized!!! Hope to see y'all out here soonest!!!

~~~~~~the above was added for the sticky~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~original post below~~~~~~~~~~~

GREAT photography work!!! Thanks for posting these!!!!

If you haven't been to the Angry Emu Range before this will give you a bird's eye view of the facility. Hope to see lots of new (and old) faces at the Fall Shoot next weekend!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang that's  de-lux,you folks did a great job putting that together.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, haven't been out there in a while. Looks really good!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bumping this for any newcomers who might not be familiar with the GA HTF range. If you'd like to come out and shoot simply let me know.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
interesting
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:46:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#6]
Nice range
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks like a utility easement.  Did you get permission to put a big berm in place, or is that a natural hill?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Natural hill.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a bump so folks can see where RedWolf holds his two gun shoots.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't been down there since the fall shoot a few years ago. I need to make it down there soon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
I haven't been down there since the fall shoot a few years ago. I need to make it down there soon.
View Quote
The range is open pretty much any time you'd care to come out, just give me a heads up first.

Frankly, I think the range is tremendously underutilized, so don't hesitate to let me know if you ever need a place to shoot. Or for that matter, if you just want a change of scenery, we'd love for you to come out and see how we've improved the place in the last several years!

Oh, and a plug for RedWolf. He has done a tremendous job of hosting the GA HTF run-n-gun, 2-gun "league" at the Angry Emu. More appropriately refered to as a Band of Brothers. (Not to mention a few sisters too!) He's got 10 or a dozen folks showing up for the shoot each month. Also, RedWolf is a HUGE asset to the range as well! As self appointed head greenskeeper for the Angry Emu, he's always out there making it a better place for all of us to shoot. He's got a lot of help doing it, from a long list of HTFers. I'm not even going to try to list all of y'all. You know who you are, and I want to make sure you know that you're appreciated too!
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I need to get out there and see this GAHTF mecca.  It looks great!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TEOTWAWKI:
I need to get out there and see this GAHTF mecca.  It looks great!
View Quote
It’s awesome. Most of the time I go, I’m there alone. So I can set up drills or just bench shoot, whatever I want. Just watch out for the horse
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Proto3:

It's awesome. Most of the time I go, I'm there alone. So I can set up drills or just bench shoot, whatever I want. Just watch out for the horse
View Quote
We've added a 5th safety rule: DON'T. SHOOT. THE. HORSE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Can the range support an M2HB with regular M33 ball?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Maxim1917:
Can the range support an M2HB with regular M33 ball?
View Quote
Uhhhh, not to appear ignorant, but ummm, what's an M2HB and M33 ball?

We've got steel targets at all the backstops and the pistol berm. As long as it's not a steel core armor piercing round I'd think you'd be ok. If we're talking .50 cal stuff, you might want to not punish the steel, and try to go a bit easy on the backstops, by not pounding away at the same 1 ft. sq. area, mag after mag after mag....

Common sense is the rule of thumb at the range.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Emu:

Uhhhh, not to appear ignorant, but ummm, what's an M2HB and M33 ball?

We've got steel targets at all the backstops and the pistol berm. As long as it's not a steel core armor piercing round I'd think you'd be ok. If we're talking .50 cal stuff, you might want to not punish the steel, and try to go a bit easy on the backstops, by not pounding away at the same 1 ft. sq. area, mag after mag after mag....

Common sense is the rule of thumb at the range.
View Quote
Yeah, we're talking .50BMG. I'm confident it'll punch right through the steel targets, unless you've got some frangible rounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
After exercising my Google-fu I discovered what an M2 is. There is a 20+ foot nearly vertical hill/cliff at the backside of the range, so if one was a bit judicious in their placement of rounds,  I'd love to see a Ma Deuce out here!!! Let me know if you want to bring it out and stretch it's legs....
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#19]
After exercising my Google-fu I discovered what an M2 is. There is a 20+ foot nearly vertical hill/cliff at the backside of the range, so if one was a bit judicious in their placement of rounds,  I'd love to see a Ma Deuce out here!!! Let me know if you want to bring it out and stretch it's legs....
View Quote
I would HIGHLY recommend it be on a tripod with the elevation and traverse locked for safety reasons, that's a lot of gun to manage.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:28:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Emu] [#20]
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

I would HIGHLY recommend it be on a tripod with the elevation and traverse locked for safety reasons, that's a lot of gun to manage.
View Quote
Awwww man, I wanted to shoot it from the hip, Rambo style!!!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, Post Sample Ma Deuce I picked up from a buddy when he gave up his FFL/SOT at the first of the year.  It came with an M3 tripod, pintle, and T/E.  I also have a custom built heavy duty stand up tripod and a buffered MK93 cradle mount for it that will work on either tripod.  I would not be shooting at any steel targets nor would I shoot any API or APIT rounds due to risk of fire.  When I get a chance and enough ammo to make a trip worth it, I will schedule a range trip.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Awwww man, I wanted to shoot it from the hip, Rambo style!!!  
View Quote
I don't think even Rambo could Rambo a Ma Deuce.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the pictures and videos.  The range looks amazing.  I am heading to the Angry Emu range on Thursday or Friday with my son and we both can't sleep in anticipation.   Thanks EMU for letting us use your range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Bumping the OP with another video from yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like some fun!
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I edited the second post to give an overview of the range and a link to Google Maps to help find the range.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, guys and gals, let's see how well this sticky works. RedWolf (the Greens Keeper) (aka: the Energizer Bunny) would like to have a workday at the range this coming Sunday, 7/6/19. Yeah, I know, it's short notice. But the grass needs cutting and he and Tok would like to get some tires moved. If you can bring mowing/weed eating type of implements of destruction, or just a willing set of muscles, you'll be much appreciated! RedWolf plans to be there at 8:00 AM ish. He hopes to finish early and do a bit of shooting afterwards.

We'd also like to have a chat, sometime during the day, about future 2-gun shoots, and the HTF Fall Shoot. If you'd like to be involved in helping with either of those, we'd love to see you out there, or even just post here if you're interested!

Just for the record, I was really excited to have the range used by 4 or 5 different groups, yesterday. There were folks out there starting around 8:00 AM, and there were still shots being fired shortly after 8:00 PM!!! It's nice to see the range being utilized!

If you think you can make it, please post. If you can't, but see this post, please post so we can see how effective it is to have this as a sticky.

Thanks! Hope to see ya on Sunday!
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
not 100% sure I can make Sunday.  If  you want to leave the mowing, I can bring the tractor/bushhog down early next week for sure
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By chadjetlag:
not 100% sure I can make Sunday.  If  you want to leave the mowing, I can bring the tractor/bushhog down early next week for sure
View Quote
@chadjetlag

Get with RedWolf51 and see what his plans are.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
@chadjetlag

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chadjetlag:
@chadjetlag

Thanks!
Will do!  Thanks again for the hometown range!
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:24:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YaBoyKGTho] [#31]
I'll be out of town this weekend but I'd be happy to help out with the shoots
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I should be able to make it this sunday
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By D_J:
@Emu

I cannot attend Sunday, but I was hoping to stop by the range early Saturday - a friend and ASM in our scout troop is trying to help his son get his rifle merit badge (my son needs practice for his too).  My whole family wants to tag along and shoot so if we can make it, I'll be bringing a variety of things that go bang.

I don't have any lawn equipment, but if there is anything I can do Saturday please let me know.  Things are in the air with my FIL currently in the hospital @ Kennestone, so I won't know for sure until the day of.
View Quote
IM sent
@D_J

Hoping y'all can make it out!
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll be there this Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MisterTwo:
I'll be there this Sunday.
View Quote
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been in touch with Dave. I'll be out there Friday to shoot, and if there is anything I can do while I'm there I'm happy to do it. I'm up in the air about Sunday, I'd like to avoid making the drive both days but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RLunyATL:

I've been in touch with Dave. I'll be out there Friday to shoot, and if there is anything I can do while I'm there I'm happy to do it. I'm up in the air about Sunday, I'd like to avoid making the drive both days but we'll see.
View Quote
Would be glad of your help if you can make it out Sunday. Not to mention it'd be good to see you again!
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Still looking good - just waiting to hear from Kennestone when my FIL will be discharged to rehab.  I thought I saw somewhere what time the range goes hot, but I can't find it now.  I'm assuming >9:00 am on a weekend would be okay.

I see the rifle range starts at 100 yards and there are steel targets up.  Do you have any way to hang paper targets?  If we built and brought target stands, are those allowed?  Lastly, if there is no one else on the range, is it possible to set up a temporary 50 yard firing line?  The reason I ask is that I think the scouts shoot at either 50 yards for their riflery merit badge qualifications.  I'm not a BSA RSO, so I don't know if anything we would do on range would qualify for completing the badge, but practice under matching conditions would be great.

If not, we'd like to shoot anyway - its always fun to put rounds downrange and a good chance to expose others to a bigger selection of firearms.

@Emu
View Quote
There are a few target holders scattered around.  A few may be behind the pistol berm and others will be near the rifle berms.  At worst, you may need to bring some cardboard and a stapler.  I don't think there would be any issue w/ bringing your own stands and setting up targets @ 50yards on the rifle range as long as you are shooting into the berm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#41]
There are a few target holders scattered around.  A few may be behind the pistol berm and others will be near the rifle berms.  At worst, you may need to bring some cardboard and a stapler.  I don't think there would be any issue w/ bringing your own stands and setting up targets @ 50yards on the rifle range as long as you are shooting into the berm.
View All Quotes

Still looking good - just waiting to hear from Kennestone when my FIL will be discharged to rehab.  I thought I saw somewhere what time the range goes hot, but I can't find it now.  I'm assuming >9:00 am on a weekend would be okay.

I see the rifle range starts at 100 yards and there are steel targets up.  Do you have any way to hang paper targets?  If we built and brought target stands, are those allowed?  Lastly, if there is no one else on the range, is it possible to set up a temporary 50 yard firing line?  The reason I ask is that I think the scouts shoot at either 50 yards for their riflery merit badge qualifications.  I'm not a BSA RSO, so I don't know if anything we would do on range would qualify for completing the badge, but practice under matching conditions would be great.

If not, we'd like to shoot anyway - its always fun to put rounds downrange and a good chance to expose others to a bigger selection of firearms.

@Emu
@D_J
MisterTwo pretty much nailed it. There's likely something out there that you could use, or you are welcome to bring your own. Starting time is up to you. Earlier is cooler, and there's not a lot of shade out there, so if you are inclined to start at 7:00, have at it! If you plan to be out there for a while, one of those pop up canopies is nice for some shade! Hoping y'all can make it out!
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Just had a thought. You can prolly stretch the handgun berm to 50 yards, assuming you are shooting .22 or handgun calibers. You might need to move a picnic table or two, but I suspect it could be done if you are so inclined. If not, as stated above, setting up a 50 yard target on the 100 yard backstop is not an issue. You'll likely have the place to yourself, so you can configure the range to suit you.

@D_J
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 3:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#43]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#45]
We had a great time today. We tried to police more brass than we shot; we avoided the horse (who showed up at least twice); I gassed myself to death (suppressed DD Mk18); the kids rang steel all day; and I reminded myself why I don’t shoot more pistol classes (vision).

Overall, lots of fun and the kids had a blast. As always I brought way too many guns and too much ammo, but better than not enough. Thanks again for the use of the range and let me know if you have a paypal address - the kids managed to shoot a piece of steel off its strap and I’d like to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHWxDj_QQGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQmGHpNU4s
View Quote
Glad y'all had a good time! Even better that kids were involved!!! It does my heart good to see a family outing at the range! I hope y'all can make it back out SOONEST!

I'll IM you what I think will work for PayPal, but the best way to donate is to slip some $$$ in the stainless box at the gate. Major contributors can contact my banker for donations exceeding 6 figures....
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Gotta love the Emu range, my home away from home.

Honored to have the privilege to shoot and help maintain the property. Work day went quick today!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I went and shot yesterday afternoon with a buddy at Angry Emu.

All I have to say is WOW!  We had a blast- this range is fantastic!  We shot steel a bunch, and also shot a little with our night vision at dusk.  Emu showed up and we chatted a bit- he's a real nice guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

I'll definitely be back, and I plan on contributing to range maintenance as much as I can.

Thanks Emu- I'm not sure what else to say as thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm glad y'all had a good time, and hope you can come back soon, and often!

It's always great to have HTF folks out at the range. If any of you HTF members are looking for a place to shoot, the Angry Emu Range is open to any type of (legal) firearm, and we have no problem with you shooting as fast or as slowly as suits you. It's simply a nice relaxing place, out in the country, where you can exercise your 2A rights in any safe manner you choose!!! Families, ladies, kids, and new shooters are welcome, and encouraged!!!

All ya gotta do is let me know you're coming.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#49]

It's always great to have HTF folks out at the range. If any of you HTF members are looking for a place to shoot, the Angry Emu Range is open to any type of (legal) firearm, and we have no problem with you shooting as fast or as slowly as suits you. It's simply a nice relaxing place, out in the country, where you can exercise your 2A rights in any safe manner you choose!!! Families, ladies, kids, and new shooters are welcome, and encouraged!!!

View Quote
Plan to come here soon. Just looked at some houses in newnan. Will be nice to have a spot maybe to camp and use the NV with my kids.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
Plan to come here soon. Just looked at some houses in newnan. Will be nice to have a spot maybe to camp and use the NV with my kids.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:

I'd be more than happy to have you and your family out to the range when you head this way. Funny thing, I'm headed to Peachtree City in the morning to have Thanksgiving with my sister and my mother tomorrow. That's not all that far from Newnan. It'll take me an hour and a half to get there, but I drive like a Grandma.  You ought to be able to get to the Angry Emu in the same amount of time. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top