Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
Pic on left so that I can take measurements between Silver State Armory brass marked 308 vs 7.62

Live in Dallas work in East Marietta... yepper, I can mail them and provide payment with return shipping.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you could do that with a dremel and a cutoff wheel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

When you want the brass as if Hannibal Lector sliced it open so that
measurements are accurate, well hell...

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

or

RFA.  That's wRong Fucking Answer for those in Rio Linda.

Thanks for the confidence in me BUTT!!! my friend at DRD said that
it might be a real pain even on his equipment.

Holding the brass still so that there is no chattering or other nastiness is the hard part.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he's on vacation.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying to figure out who's drinking in this thread.... I know it's not me!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

lulz
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Not drunk answer: I've done things similar to what you are trying to do using a variable speed, bench mounted belt sander set very slow. NO guarantees, of course.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:30:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking a belt sander
Guess I wasn't the only one too
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm I bet if you super glued the cases down you might be able to mill them then free them from the glue with acetone.  I'll try it later after I fix the dryer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not lead it?  
Pour molten lead in and put screw in lead pull plug and get your measurements.
Just a thought.
ETA: just realized you said 7.62. Necked case wouldn't work so good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Mad_machinist could do it, but like was already said, he's on hiatus.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have access to equipment , The skills may be an issue . If you are willing to gamble I can do it on a mill or a belt sander
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

By the numbers:

1)  Silver State Armory has had a reputation for making brass {chemistry and uniformity}
equal to Nosler, Starline...

2)  For years SSA had promised 762 stamped brass that would be ideal for gassers BUTT!!!
of MATCH quality.  Think of it as M80 MATCH brass.  

3)  I have used SSA brass in three calibers for over a decade and have no regrets.  
Nosler bought them out awhile back and looks to have just brought SSA under the same roof:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ssa.html

It would be nice to know if SSA has actually made good on their promise of match grade gasser brass.

With SPS's Christmas Sale & mil discount I paid $31.50/100pcs for a total 500pcs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I read online someplace where a guy took a router bit and hollowed out a spot in a chunk of wood - 2x2 or 2x4 maybe - then glued a case into that hollow spot.  He then held it against a belt sander until the case was sanded off halfway.  Not sure how this would work for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Just sand it down, That material is soft and can be removed rather quickly. Make a sanding block and do it by hand or use some type of machine.  A decent file meant for metal will work great too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Long in the tooth machinist here. I agree with the others who have suggested sanding, cartridge brass is easy to sand. To set it up and cut it on a mill and not collapse the wall of the cartridge would require a custom fixture and/or filling the case with cerrobend prior to cutting. Cerrobend is a low temp melting alloy we use sometimes on fragile parts to support them during a machining process like this. The wood block with a groove routed in it to support the case is a good idea. I would clamp it in with a small strap then sand away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top