Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 3:40:08 PM EDT
I need some help in the lake Lanier area. I'm having some issues keeping my boat motor running. It's a mercury xr6 150hp. It ran fine last summer, I had to move it from one lake to another last week and had major issues while at the dock. I was able to start it and limp across the lake. I thought the primer bulb was bad but I've been out here all morning trying to figure it out. I put all new gas and a new primer bulb but it still doesn't run right. Anyone know any one around here that could maybe help?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need some help in the lake Lanier area. I'm having some issues keeping my boat motor running. It's a mercury xr6 150hp. It ran fine last summer, I had to move it from one lake to another last week and had major issues while at the dock. I was able to start it and limp across the lake. I thought the primer bulb was bad but I've been out here all morning trying to figure it out. I put all new gas and a new primer bulb but it still doesn't run right. Anyone know any one around here that could maybe help?
View Quote

Not a boat mech but maybe I can help.

Swap out the plugs they are possibly fouled.

Is this a carb or FI engine? (FI = fuel Injected) if it's carb'd there is a good chance the carb is fouled from sitting. You can try spraying in some small engine tune up spray and try to free things up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like carb issues, make sure you don't have any pickup screens in your tank that may be clogged as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is this a carb or FI engine? (FI = fuel Injected) if it's carb'd there is a good chance the carb is fouled from sitting. You can try spraying in some small engine tune up spray and try to free things up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a carb motor. I put in all new plugs and didn't help. I'll try cleaning the carbs and see of that helps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like carb issues, make sure you don't have any pickup screens in your tank that may be clogged as well.
View Quote

I hope not, it's a center console boat so the tank is buried deep in the belly under the console. I'll see if I can get to them and check though. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you leave gas sitting in the carbs?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you leave gas sitting in the carbs?
View Quote

Yes, it is ethanol free and I put marine sta-bil in it. I used it last in August
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Others can validate, but I think its best to cut the gas valve and let the motor run dry prior to letting it sit more awhile. We always did on the outboards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I'm about 5 minutes from doing just that .  I'm staying far away from that damn boat show.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Others can validate, but I think its best to cut the gas valve and let the motor run dry prior to letting it sit more awhile. We always did on the outboards.
View Quote

I agree I probably should have. I normally don't let it sit that long.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Some seafoam through the carb might clear it up but I can nearly guarantee that going through the carb will do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some seafoam through the carb might clear it up but I can nearly guarantee that going through the carb will do the trick.
View Quote

It's got 3 carbs, so I'm in for some fun
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Try mechanic in a bottle, it's a pretty heavy duty carb cleaner that goes in with the fuel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Piss on it, I'm done for the day (probably done until spring). I got it to stay running and took it out for a short ride. It runs ok at half throttle but when I give it full throttle it bogs down. Must be a carb issue then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Piss on it, I'm done for the day (probably done until spring). I got it to stay running and took it out for a short ride. It runs ok at half throttle but when I give it full throttle it bogs down. Must be a carb issue then.
View Quote

Yeah. Pull the carbs and clean them. no need for any kits if you take your time and don't tear gaskets. Just clean really well and reassemble.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
How old is it? The Gas lines may be coming apart on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How old is it? The Gas lines may be coming apart on the inside.
View Quote
My guess also, if the bulb was bad check the filter and the  lines.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you at least find the Stripers?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
3 things for all gas engines

Ignition
Fuel
Compression

If it ran and there is no giant hunk of steel sticking out of the side with oil and collant leaking out, assume item 3 is ok for the first two tests.

99% of engine crank / no-start problems will fall under one of these conditions

No spark
Test the ignition by making sure you are getting spark

No fuel
Test to make sure you are getting fuel
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Mashburn Marine
5325 Mashburn Dr.
Cumming
404-234-1897

They replaced the seals & impeller in my outboard and took my carb off & found a small spec of crud that was in the jet, causing it to waver.

She runs like a top now.  Turn around time was good too.  Get it in now before the spring rush.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And balancing those jokers is not for the faint of heart.....Thats why a dealer gets an arm and a leg to go through the carbs.

Could be air getting into the lines somewhere. I have had that happen before with a craked/dry rotted fuel line.

If your using marine sta-bil I don't worry about leaving gas in the motor, I have always done it without issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Longtime boat owner here (although I'm currently boatless due to a large dock renovation at my house in the Keys).

Outboards are very gas sensitive.  If you run ethanol gas you will have problems unless you run your outboard often.  Stuck floats, clogged jest and gummed up carbs are the issue most of the time.  Rebuilding the carbs is the likely cure.

A few suggestions for the future:
- Make sure you run your outboard every 6 weeks or less.  Not just on muffs in the driveway.  You need to bring RPMs >3000 for at least a few minutes to flush out high speed jets.
- Treat gas with sta-bil or Star Tron fuel treatment
- Keep your gas tank as full as possible.  This keeps air out of the tank which has moisture that breaks down the gas faster.
- Use non ethanol gas
- Running the engine dry really depends on the design of the carbs.  This isn't always the best thing to do if running it dry leaves a small amount of gas in the carb.  It can actually make it worse.  Some carb designs have drain screws on the bowl.

Best thing you can do is to use it more often and cycle through the gas in your tank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top