Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 10:47:35 AM EDT
I was listening to the Michael Bane Downrange Podcast this morning and he was discussing the Paris Terrorist attacks. He mentions having a trauma kit in your car for just in case. Do you carry one? What is a decent kit to get and what do I need to make sure it has, other than Quik-Clot?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard large first aid kit and one of those trauma packs with quick clot.  The likely hood of needing a trauma kit is very unlikely, however I have used the first aid kit a bunch. I have two little boys who are always getting into something. Used all the been creams once on my nephew (2) who got to close to a fire pit. Agree that I have since added three times the amount of burn cream.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My trauma kit rides with me everywhere I go. Tourniquet, quick clot, large battle dressings, etc. I also have a first aid kit that lives in the same back pack. They have very different uses and the trauma kit hasn't been used to date. The first aid kit gets used all the time.  I have a 10 year old boy and between him and I, it's used often.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I would advise not buying a pre-made kit. I would make my own. This kit is better than nothing, but its overpriced for what you get as most is unnecessary. I would not put alot of emphasis on QuikClot, especially the commercially purchased stuff like the First Responder Sponges included in the aforementioned Trauma Kit - they are almost worthless. For penetrating trauma you need to be able to pack the wound, but how many of us are going to know how to properly pack a penetrating wound as needed - you're most likely not. The QuikClot sponges can not pack. You need the gauze. The Celox Rapid Gauze tends to be more affordable than the QuikClot Combat Gauze and is reported to work better. Stay away from the granules. Your best bet is to have multiple blood stoppers and means to apply pressure. Womens Maxi Pads work great as do 5x9 AB Pads and 4x4 Gauze Sponges. Have some 3-4" ACE type bandages to wrap around to apply pressure or better yet, have a few SWAT-T or TK4 tourniquets as they can serve double duty.

For a prepackged kit this has pretty much what you need at a minimum. Add some of these and you are golden. And absolutely have some gloves and some shears.
Having a few of these are great as well. This is the commercial version of the Israeli Bandage which are nearly half the cost. I recommend having two of these at minimum and buy an extra to practice application with so that when you do deploy it, it is not foreign to you. The H Bandage is also an excellent option as is the H&H Mini. The mini can be carried in a back pocket as they are 3"x4" and about .3" thick. I have Mini's everywhere.
I personally prefer the H-Bandage by H&H Medical as it has an ample blood stopper pad and a pressure bandage all in one and it is easy to apply one handed with alot of pressure if needed.

Also, consider that penetrating trauma often has an exit. Plan for that. Have a dozen pads for means of blood stopping and a means to secure them in place to apply pressure and you have a solid trauma kit for use by a civilian. Control the bleeding as best as possible and wait for help. That is the best advice to an untrained individual.
Down and dirty trauma treatment - if you see a hole, plug it. How do we plug it; apply direct pressure. If its wet and not yours, don't touch it without gloves.

As mentioned, have a comprehensive first aid kit and keep them separate. Expect the First Aid Kit to get the majority of use. It is nice to have a CPR Mask also.

And if you did not realize based on the links, I like Rescue Essentials for all of my medical needs.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried one in my car for years but haven't lately.  Don't know why I quit.

I agree that you should roll your own.  You can start out with a basic mil First aid kit but add a few things as suggested above.

Quik clot for the big stuff, a box of band-aids for the small stuff, and even a canteen of water or a few plastic bottles.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have enough training to carry a kit as big as some do, just basic first aid knowledge but realize I need more.
I do have several of the Adventure Medical Kits trauma packs, they are designed for stopping & controlling bleeding and can fit in a glove box or cargo pants pocket easily.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
IFAK with an extra izzy bandage, some quick clot, and snivel meds in it.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a NAR squad response bag and I am happy with it. I got it off of ebay a few years ago at a decent price.

Also, my experience civilians do not need quick clot or any other hemostatic agent. A good tourniquet and pressure dressing will do the job 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I listened this morning as well. I'll be looking into this when I get a little extra coin, thanks for the very informatie post 00bullitt
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a small one , with enough to stop the bleeding
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]
sale on adventure medical

I saw this on the Amazon thread. If you have prime it is cheaper than you will find anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I just have some comments for this one.

NEVER go above and beyond what you are trained to do.
Don't waste money on things you have no clue about.

It chaps my ass when I see people post med kits with jg tubes and tourniquets in them and have zero knowledge of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Where's MedicOC?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It chaps my ass when I see people post med kits with jg tubes and tourniquets in them and have zero knowledge of them.

View Quote

I disagree with that. Theres several million nurses in this country, plus doctors, emt trained firefighters, etc and most of them don't have any supplies stored. If we had another ice storm and someone has an allergic reaction, having airways, bvm, etc might save a life. Just on my street there are a few rn's
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I disagree with that. Theres several million nurses in this country, plus doctors, emt trained firefighters, etc and most of them don't have any supplies stored. If we had another ice storm and someone has an allergic reaction, having airways, bvm, etc might save a life. Just on my street there are a few rn's
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I don't carry my stuff for others it's for others to use on me. If I can use it under adult supervision on others then good enough. That's the way I was trained in the Corps. There was a reason we couldn't get to our own first aid kit.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I agree. I don't carry my stuff for others it's for others to use on me. If I can use it under adult supervision on others then good enough. That's the way I was trained in the Corps. There was a reason we couldn't get to our own first aid kit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i thought it was so y'all wouldn't play with sharp objects.

Great thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's a jg tube? Some kind of lubricant
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NG ... Auto correct does what it wants too.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All I am saying I was trained not to go above and beyond what I am trained to do.
You start using tools and items you know nothing about or doing techniques you think you can do was a big no no in our department.
Yes I agree have something that others may can use is a good thing.
Do the wrong thing and you will be sitting in a courtroom or jail.
Georgia has no law to protect you if you give aid and something happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I am saying I was trained not to go above and beyond what I am trained to do.
You start using tools and items you know nothing about or doing techniques you think you can do was a big no no in our department.
Yes I agree have something that others may can use is a good thing.
Do the wrong thing and you will be sitting in a courtroom or jail.
Georgia has no law to protect you if you give aid and something happens.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry two trauma kits. One for causing it, one for fixing it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I carry two trauma kits. One for causing it, one for fixing it.
View Quote

I like that!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

My vehicle trauma kit is for use on others as it is rather large and carried in my vehicle for deployment from the vehicle if needed. My personal trauma kit/IFAK is meant for self aid and is carried on my person EDC and consists of a QuikClot Z Folded Combat Gauze and a Mini H bandage with a pair of nitrile gloves sandwiched between them.
While the IFAK on your back is good for buddy aid on you, what do you do when you don't have a buddy? I agree that IFAK's in tactical team type situations should always be in the same location on everyone; for the very reason of buddy aid when incapacitated. I disagree that they should be out of reach by the individual as self aid may be the only option. The kit should still be reachable by yourself or have an alternate means for self aid; at minimum a TQ and a pressure bandage on your front side.

TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) guidelines are updated pretty regularly to reflect current conditions and usage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top