Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2014 12:43:29 AM EDT
I want to build a new table top for dining room table.

Shouldn't be to hard but hell, I cannot find any dealer for walnut here where I live (Augusta).

Help before I blindly buy some crap online because I cannot find it locally.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
look around for some local saw mills. Mom and pop operations.

I get all my hard woods from a guy that must be almost 90. Rough cut but I own a planer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Check your local Craig's list. There are several listings if you search for walnut lumber.  I can't speak for their quality, other than the guy in Houston county, which isn't in your area. He has REALLY nice lumber.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check your local Craig's list. There are several listings if you search for walnut lumber.  I can't speak for their quality, other than the guy in Houston county, which isn't in your area. He has REALLY nice lumber.
View Quote
That's what she said?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Walnut you say?  That is my favorite.

I went looking for about 1000 feet of it this last trip up to Iowa.  This was at one of the sawmills I went to.  

How big is your table going to be?  How many bf are you looking for?  What quality are you looking for?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/mschw04/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/FD5971B8-6E66-40DF-A60C-F07D780E6EEF.jpg

I went looking for about 1000 feet of it this last trip up to Iowa.  This was at one of the sawmills I went to.  

How big is your table going to be?  How many bf are you looking for?  What quality are you looking for?
View Quote

What was their asking price?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Sawanee lumber is over $8/bf
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I know of two guys that have sawmills. We use them for gate insets quite frequently. Don't have their info right now but I'll  get it sometime this wknd and IM you. They are both located in Appling.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If you were close to Cartersville I have a bunch of ruff cut black walnut lumber that my uncle cut about 20 years ago. Will make a good deal with anyone that needs some.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/mschw04/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/FD5971B8-6E66-40DF-A60C-F07D780E6EEF.jpg

This Amish sawmill was in the $4 range for FAS walnut in 8" and under widths (no sapwood).  This is also green lumber.  You have to take it to a kiln or air dry it yourself.  The price goes up fast for wide boards.  I was only interested in 12" and up range.  In the picture I posted, there were only about 4-6 logs that would potentially work for what I am looking for.  It is very rare for a sawmill to get a log that the veneer buyers don't buy.  And if you want to compete with the veneer buyers, break out your check book, as the price is double at the minimum.... the sky is the limit for the super rare logs.  Each mill had a few pics of their $10k logs.  

imo... Iowa walnut is the finest there is.  Especially if you know the area it comes out of.  There is something special about the river bottoms and how the trees grow there.  Air dried has a richer color, and certain people who are making very high end pieces will pay dearly for clear, wide walnut that has been air dried for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You could try calling Pollard lumber or Howard Lumber I don't know if either deal with furniture grade lumber or not.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's what she said?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's what she said?  

You know, I typed out "nice lumber" rather than "nice wood" to avoid smart alecs like you!

I'm working with about 100 bf of his QSWO at the moment, making an arts and crafts style bed.  It's beautiful stuff!

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Table - no more than 4 x8 feet. Probably a bit smaller (depends on the wife)
BF - More more than 32-35. I want to join smaller pieces together by tongue and grove.
Quality - Not sure. I want the dark black look but I figured I would stain the whole thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if they still sell to public. You may have luck with a company called Battle Lumber in Wadley Ga. They make pallets but also supply slab wood to a flooring mill around Macon. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not that I'm teh ghey, BUTT!!! that much wood... well hell, I swelled up with appreciation of such a fine pic of walnut.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BF - More more than 32-35. I want to join smaller pieces together by tongue and grove.
Quality - Not sure. I want the dark black look but I figured I would stain the whole thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your choice, sir.  I say go Blonde {so you can appreciate the grain} and keep the green tint out of the stain.

Shoot with Tung Oil.  Airless spray with electrostatic over-spray control FTMW.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are going to stain it, you can use butternut and save some $.  

The quality of the walnut refers to how many knots/inclusions are in the wood.  

Staining walnut is like buying a $2k ar and then Tapco'ing it.  

Good luck with the project.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I would call Pollard.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would call Pollard.
View Quote

I did.

Yellow pine only.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you were close to Cartersville I have a bunch of ruff cut black walnut lumber that my uncle cut about 20 years ago. Will make a good deal with anyone that needs some.
View Quote

I tried to send you an IM but I guess they dont work for non members.

What kind of walnut do you have? i might in for a roadtrip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could try calling Pollard lumber or Howard Lumber I don't know if either deal with furniture grade lumber or not.
View Quote

P no.

H no idea. Must call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top