Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2014 11:42:03 PM EDT
So when I moved into Jackson County a few months ago, I was able to secure a meting with my State Rep Tommy Benton. It was basically to just introduce myself, as I moved my business into his district and I like to be a part of politics as much as I can.

Long story short, I asked him bluntly if he would write up/sponsor a bill to expand our gun rights. I showed him a bill that was signed into law in Idaho that basically stated that it nullified any new federal gun laws. I asked him if he would consider that route in GA and he said he would.

To my surprise, he contacted me last week and told me that he had been speaking to the attorney for the public safety committee. He stated that he wants to get it written up and brought to the committee. He wants me to tell him SPECIFICALLY what I am looking for. That's where I need some help.

I don't think a bill stating that any new federal gun laws are null and void would pass, or that it would stand. However, there are a few things I would like to see made law in GA.

Campus carry/school function carry
allowing schools to set up gun safety/marksmanship classes as after school activities
I'm hoping there is also some way to push back on the ever-encroaching federal gun restrictions.

Bottom line here is that we have an opportunity to get another pro-gun bill passed...or at least brought up for a vote. Mr. Benton wants specifics from me, so I'm reaching out here to see if anyone wants to help in any way: ideas, knowledge, research? Any help is appreciated. If you're in Jackson County (Jefferson), I'm open to a sit down meeting too.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Bigger topics:
Compel Sheriffs/Chiefs and other CLEOs to sign off on NFA paperwork if there's no legal reason not to, in a timely manner (other states have passed similar very recently)
Unrestricted suppressor use for hunting

Secondary objectives:
Remove caliber restrictions on hunting coyotes and pigs year round
Require of and fund DNR opening more outdoor ranges - Google Ben Avery range in Phoenix if you don't think government can have nice public ranges.
Remove duplicitous laws on NFA type items - Why have state regulations on machine guns, etc.  It's silly to make them illegal unless you have the federal tax stamp, since it's a federal crime already.

I'm in Jackson county myself and would help with what I can pending the regular job.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I'd look at the Florida law that directly penalizes local officials for anti-gun laws that violate state preemption...
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bigger topics:
Compel Sheriffs/Chiefs and other CLEOs to sign off on NFA paperwork if there's no legal reason not to, in a timely manner (other states have passed similar very recently)

Secondary objectives:
Require of and fund DNR opening more outdoor ranges - Google Ben Avery range in Phoenix if you don't think government can have nice public ranges.
Remove duplicitous laws on NFA type items - Why have state regulations on machine guns, etc.  It's silly to make them illegal unless you have the federal tax stamp, since it's a federal crime already.

I'm in Jackson county myself and would help with what I can pending the regular job.
View Quote

If not, be liable for restricting our rights.

THIS IS THE BEST THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN ON AR15.COM!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you looked into what Ga Carry.org is doing.
Jerry Henery is the Director and I am sure he would work with you on this

Scott
www.centerfiretraining.com
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote

My thoughts as well
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
CCW reciprocity with South Carolina. There are several of us who live in the CSRA that would benefit from this. They could at least  allow us to take their class.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
CCW reciprocity with South Carolina. There are several of us who live in the CSRA that would benefit from this. They could at least  allow us to take their class.

View Quote

That's on SC.  They want training requirements that GA doesn't have.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bigger topics:

Secondary objectives:

View Quote

I'm with this guy. All those "ignore federal laws" bills mean nothing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That one has to be run through SC.   We recognize any state's license that recognizes ours.   Several years ago, there was a bill in the SC Legislature that would do mutual recognition.  It was killed by the NRA lobbyists.   Then the NRA came to Georgia and pushed a bill that would make GA recognize all state's licenses.   The bill's effect was a Georgian could NOT carry in SC, but  South Carolinian could carry in Georgia.  That bill would remove any pressure on SC to change their law to recognize our licenses.   The NRA's long term goal is to have required training to obtain a Georgia Carry License.

Regarding school carry, GeorgiaCarry accomplished that last session but AG Olens has decided it was a bad bill and is refusing to recognize the bills passage, a-la-Obama.  The bill number's was HB826.

The next step in the restoration of our rights and achieving Constitutional Carry is unlicensed open carry.   That's an area Rep. Benton could have a BIG impact.   Roughly 30 states have unlicensed open carry.  An effort is being made in TN to do the same.   The reason Unlicensed Open Carry is important is that removes the strangle hold of the Probate Judges have on your 2nd Amendment rights.   Unlicensed Open Carry is a safety valve bill for people who live in county's with anti-gun Probate Judges.   Even if a Probate Judge won't issue a license, you could still carry.    It would enable someone to protect themselves if they find themselves facing a serious threat without a carry license.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

My thoughts as well

I'm going to tread lightly here. Bear in mind one of the first things I did when I moved here several years ago was join GCO. They do A LOT for the 2A and I know this.

I did contact GCO and they didn't give much help. I spoke to MR Henry and he was very cordial, polite and intrigued that I had a Rep who actually got back to ME and was willing to put something on paper. He gave me the number to their lawyer John Monroe, who I did get in contact with. I told him what I wanted to do, and he was very condescending about it. He said what a few have said here already (and what I stated in my first post), that a law against the federal government wouldn't stand. I agreed with him and asked for advice. He offered none. I wish I didn't have a bad experience with him, but he was borderline rude.

I called Mr Henry back and tried for their support one more time.
The bottom line is that we have a local Rep that is willing to actually bring a pro-2a bill to the table - never a bad thing. There is still much that can be done to take back our rights. Mr Henry agreed with me and asked that I give him a week to see if he can get the others on board. I haven't given up on them, but I haven't heard back yet.

I'm not the most intellectual person, but I can recognize an opportunity. Whether it goes anywhere is going to depend on many factors, but I'll keep on trying as long as I'm able.
Keep the ideas coming. I plan on giving Mr Benton some specifics within a week or so.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That one has to be run through SC.   We recognize any state's license that recognizes ours.   Several years ago, there was a bill in the SC Legislature that would do mutual recognition.  It was killed by the NRA lobbyists.   Then the NRA came to Georgia and pushed a bill that would make GA recognize all state's licenses.   The bill's effect was a Georgian could NOT carry in SC, but  South Carolinian could carry in Georgia.  That bill would remove any pressure on SC to change their law to recognize our licenses.   The NRA's long term goal is to have required training to obtain a Georgia Carry License.

Regarding school carry, GeorgiaCarry accomplished that last session but AG Olens has decided it was a bad bill and is refusing to recognize the bills passage, a-la-Obama.  The bill number's was HB826.

The next step in the restoration of our rights and achieving Constitutional Carry is unlicensed open carry.   That's an area Rep. Benton could have a BIG impact.   Roughly 30 states have unlicensed open carry.  An effort is being made in TN to do the same.   The reason Unlicensed Open Carry is important is that removes the strangle hold of the Probate Judges have on your 2nd Amendment rights.   Unlicensed Open Carry is a safety valve bill for people who live in county's with anti-gun Probate Judges.   Even if a Probate Judge won't issue a license, you could still carry.    It would enable someone to protect themselves if they find themselves facing a serious threat without a carry license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Send me an IM with your contact info. I have experience in this area.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That one has to be run through SC.   We recognize any state's license that recognizes ours.   Several years ago, there was a bill in the SC Legislature that would do mutual recognition.  It was killed by the NRA lobbyists.  Then the NRA came to Georgia and pushed a bill that would make GA recognize all state's licenses.   The bill's effect was a Georgian could NOT carry in SC, but  South Carolinian could carry in Georgia.  That bill would remove any pressure on SC to change their law to recognize our licenses.   The NRA's long term goal is to have required training to obtain a Georgia Carry License.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one has to be run through SC.   We recognize any state's license that recognizes ours.   Several years ago, there was a bill in the SC Legislature that would do mutual recognition.  It was killed by the NRA lobbyists.  Then the NRA came to Georgia and pushed a bill that would make GA recognize all state's licenses.   The bill's effect was a Georgian could NOT carry in SC, but  South Carolinian could carry in Georgia.  That bill would remove any pressure on SC to change their law to recognize our licenses.   The NRA's long term goal is to have required training to obtain a Georgia Carry License.

Prove it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting to hear back now. I will update OP when something new happens in case anyone is curious.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
At one point, there was mention of creating a two-tiered GWL - the basic tier would be what we have now.  The advanced tier would have a training requirement to allow reciprocity with those states that will only reciprocate with states that have training requirements (and, since this was before GCO helped remove a lot of the off-limits places in GA, would have expanded where people with the advanced permit could carry, not sure that part is needed now).

Another thing in the news lately is how some of the cities in Pennsylvania are having to revoke their laws that contradict state law because they changed the requirements for standing to challenge those laws in court, and also allowed for damages.  Florida goes one further and allows for damages PERSONALLY against the sitting elected officials in localities that maintain laws that contradict state law...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Prove it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove it.

You are a fool. I was at the gold dome and watched it happen with my own eyes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Shall sign for NFA would be my first choice . My signatures take a month or more every time
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Shall sign for NFA would be my first choice . My signatures take a month or more every time
View Quote

That's a big one with 41P pending.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is the problem you will run into. You have ONE rep willing to submit a bill. Do you know if he has any allies? What committee will that bill be assigned to? Who sits on that committee? Who chairs that committee? What does the speaker think of the bill? What does the LT Gov think of the bill? What does the Gov think of the bill?

Mr. Henry has more than a few available friendly reps, if it was as simple as submitting a bill we would be the most gun free state in the nation. At 100 different steps in the process that bill can die or be shelved indefinitely.

Getting a bill through is a tedious process, especially with Georgia's particular environment.

I have a handful of reps very interested in an anti-commandeering bill, the problem is getting it where it needs to go and not having leadership tank it (which they will). Even if anything were to pass it would take backbone to enforce it which our legislature lacks entirely.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove it.

You must have really good vision to sit in the Georgia State Capitol (gold dome) and "watch it happen" under the tarnished copper dome of the South Carolina State House.

Stay with the thread topic or post a new thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You must have really good vision to sit in the Georgia State Capitol (gold dome) and "watch it happen" under the tarnished copper dome of the South Carolina State House.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prove it.

Sorry. Thought this was referring to when the NRA tried to kill SB308 in GA under the gold dome. I don't doubt they tried to kill SC reciprocity -- it's bad for their business.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's a middle Georgia rep or senator that plans on pushing a college carry law if you have a cwl.

Can't remember his name at the moment.
View Quote

GeorgiaCarry got that done last year in HB826, which provides that Licensees are exempt from the provisions against carrying a weapon in a school safety zone.

In a move that would make President Obama proud, Attorney General Olens decided he didn't like that bill so he has issued an opinion that the Licensee exemption doesn't exist.

Eventually a Licensee will need to get arrested for the violation and have the courts reprimand Barack Olens.

Here is the link to the bill.   http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/826  Lines 108 to 115.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top