Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 10:30:32 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/16/supreme-court-rules-on-straw-purchaser-law/

Supreme Court says you can't but a gun for someone else even if both are allowed to own a gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
So are they planning on placing a minimum time you must own a firearm after purchase before resale? Just seems the same as if you buy a gun, don't like it like you thought and your brother in laws cousins friend says he'll buy it from you a week later. Or is it mandatory at that point to do a dealer transfer?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, how wonderful. No more guns as gifts between the gf and I.

Reading the decision, as stupid as it may be, he received money to buy the gun for someone else keeping it from falling into the "gift" category as he wasn't the actual buyer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Intent is hard to prove. Don't put anything down on paper or computer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Buying a firearms for someone as a gift is 100% legal.  Buying one on someone's behalf is not (it's called straw purchasing) and it should not be news.  

Page 4, Question 11.a explanation here:  https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
He was buying it for someone else from the get-go to take advantage of his law enforcement discount.  He had already received a check for $400 IIRC with a memo notation for "Glock 19".

It was a straw purchase.  I would have ruled it the same way.

It only drew attention because the weapon was later used in a crime and they were tracing it back.  Overzealous LEOs looking for a criminal to uncover and they noticed the check pre-dated the purchase.

It was not a situation where someone bought it for himself and gifted it which I think is still gtg.

If you're going to buy for your kid, then buy it but tell him its not his until he safely learns to operate it.  Problem solved.

If you're going to buy it for someone as a gift.  Make the purchase and then you can give him the weapon that belongs to you.  No problem as long as you know you're not knowingly providing a weapon to someone who cannot lawfully possess it.

Don't over-react just because an unknowledgeable media twisted the story.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Supreme Court says you can't but a gun for someone else even if both are allowed to own a gun.
View Quote

That's not what the ruling says.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what the headlines are saying though...  Suprise...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buying a firearms for someone as a gift is 100% legal.  Buying one on someone's behalf is not (it's called straw purchasing) and it should not be news.  
View Quote

How do you figure that? Holder and the ATF allowed it time and time again during operation Fast and Furious! Must be legal.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm kidding. Its the typical Nobama Administration position of do as I say, not as I do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I am so glad this was bs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He was buying it for someone else from the get-go to take advantage of his law enforcement discount.  He had already received a check for $400 IIRC with a memo notation for "Glock 19".

It was a straw purchase.  I would have ruled it the same way.

It only drew attention because the weapon was later used in a crime and they were tracing it back.  Overzealous LEOs looking for a criminal to uncover and they noticed the check pre-dated the purchase.

It was not a situation where someone bought it for himself and gifted it which I think is still gtg.

If you're going to buy for your kid, then buy it but tell him its not his until he safely learns to operate it.  Problem solved.

If you're going to buy it for someone as a gift.  Make the purchase and then you can give him the weapon that belongs to you.  No problem as long as you know you're not knowingly providing a weapon to someone who cannot lawfully possess it.

Don't over-react just because an unknowledgeable media twisted the story.  
View Quote

Key words right there...

Eta: in the context as quoted above- as a gift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top