Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2014 10:23:50 AM EDT
I want to buy a higher end .22 cal pellet rifle.   After looking at some of my friends recent purchases that shoot a .22 cal pellet at 1000 feet per second, I have decided I want one.  

Here are the reasons I want one.

1.  .22 calliber pellets are under $15 per 500 rounds and plentiful.  No BS on having to camp out to acquire some like .22 LR.
2.  Piston-spring driven rifles require no CO2 refills or any additional cost to keep it shooting other than basic cleaning/lube.  
3.  They are just as accurate and powerful as a .22 LR using standard velocity ammo.  My friends consistently shoot sub dime sized groups at 50 yards.  
4.  Local firearm discharge restrictions do not apply to air rifles.  So I can shoot to my hearts content and not get a visit from the Sheriff.
5.  No gun power residue or lead vapor to worry about breathing in when shooting indoors.  

I have my eye on a few models from RWS that have a lifetime warranty.  But I was hoping to buy local if possible and get to check them out in person before buying.  

Anyone know of a dealer that sells air rifles that are more on the higher end of things?  I don't want to get one from Academy Sports only that only have a 1 year warranty or have accuracy issues.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got the two barrel beeman kodiak combo from walmart and its OK but louder than a suppressed 22 and much less accurate. The spring rifles are fussy about the way you hold them and NOT as accurate as a $200 22LR.

The competitive guns are pneumatic and alot of times lower velocity.

Unless you have a solid backstop and no neighbors in sight you are just as likely to get in trouble with an airgun as a 22LR. I think the best program is to shoot a suppressed 22 responsibly, police your brass, and have a pellet gun leaning in the corner that looks alot like it if the neighbors show up.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
which one does your friend have that is that accurate?

even my neighbors Gamo isn't very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My friend has the Diana RWS Model 48.  Using the all lead pellet ammo, it shoots them around 875-900 FPS and five shot groups are under a dime in size.   You can see videos on Youtube that review the RWS rifles (model 48 and 54) that all shoot that well with the right pellet choice.  

My property backs up to a forest, and my neighbors can't see my deck.  So I can shoot at targets in the woods.   A Forsyth County Sheriff lives on my street and I asked him about it.   He said people could complain, but if you aren't shooting towards residences, or their property that it is perfectly legal.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
considering the weight difference of the projectile, statement #3 is not true at all. 22lr with a 40 grain projectile is much more powerful than a 13 to 17 grain pellet going 100 fps slower.

Not nitpicking your statement or trying to start an argument, but I thought you might want to look at it from that perspective before making your decision/ dropping a large amount of coin on a really nice pellet rifle.

Having said that, I think that the 22 cal silenced pellet rifles are great and would love to purchase one. Having a no paperwork, silent, 25 yard varmint killer could be very useful.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a model 34 I bought 15 years ago that I could shoot skittles off my fence at about 35 yards.

It's been so long I have no idea where I got it from.

worst case, amazon has them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the last time I was in Adventure Outdoors, they had some higher end air rifles. If you want even higher end, check with Chuck's Firearms. He at one time carried the high end rifles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, did you ever find an air rifle? Saw an ad on GON for one, RWS 52, 22cal. http://www.gon.com/marketplace/listings/95036/rws_52_22_air_rifle
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ruger Yukon .22 pellet rifle and I love it.  Shoots excellent.   http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-yukon-air-rifle22-cal.html

It's in this safe pic  

(yes, that's an actual pic of my safe)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Ruger Yukon .22 pellet rifle and I love it.  Shoots excellent.   http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-yukon-air-rifle22-cal.html

It's in this safe pic  http://i.imgur.com/8W4QvQ5.jpg

(yes, that's an actual pic of my safe)
View Quote

Needs more guns.

OP, I just picked up an RWS 34 (pyramydair.com had a great deal around Father's Day). It's awesome and pretty accurate so far (15 yards is about all I've done with it). It might be a bit loud if you're in a typical north Atlanta subdivision, though. I live in an older subdivision built in the late 80's and have 1.3 acres with woods. Here's a link to my thread about it:

Check out the airgun forum
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Op that is a damn fine idea. I will have to follow this thread and maybe get into pellets too. The way I see it why not be diversified.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I just recently made my first foray into the gas piston air gun world.  
Quieter, without the annoying recoil of a spring gun.  Just as powerful and extremely accurate.  And no problem trying to keep a scope on it!  Hard to cock, but hey, I'm an old guy!

No more spring air guns for me.  Just sayin.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I recently picked up a Benjamin 397 and have been having a blast with it in the back yard.  OP, what weight pellets are you using?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top