Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
The title says it all.

Are there any good survivalist training instructor in the Atlanta area?  I would like to go out for a long weekend or something and learn the basics and how to use the equipment properly.

I did a Google search, but was looking for some recommendations from people in the know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
have you tried just going camping?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What equipment?  A bare minimum survival kit is a knife, some cord, and a way to start a fire...  

Have you ever killed and cleaned small game or chickens?  Made a shelter from available materials in the woods?  Built a fire using materials other than matches or lighters?  All of these are "survival skills" that can easily be learned.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear Ft. Benning has a few
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your toys camping with you. After a few days you start to find what works for you and what doesnt.
Find a friend who hunts to teach you how.

This guy can show you a few things

Be prepared to drink yer own piss
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Check with Dustin at em gear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take your toys camping with you. After a few days you start to find what works for you and what doesn't.

View Quote

Thanks will give it a look.  The instructor looks pretty qualified.

I haven't been camping in 20 years and would like someone to teach me some basic techniques such as fire starting, shelter making and navigation.  Things you don't typically learn camping with the family in a KOA
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I haven't been camping in 20 years and would like someone to teach me some basic techniques such as fire starting, shelter making and navigation.  Things you don't typically learn camping with the family in a KOA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take your toys camping with you. After a few days you start to find what works for you and what doesn't.

Sounds like a good time to volunteer with your local boys scout troop.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Look up the Benton Mckaye trail.

Search on the survival forum for how to create a bug out bag. eta, link to BOB

Search on YouTube for ways to make fire

Drive to trail, stay with in a Mike of your car

Plan for one night the first time

Plan for two nights the second time

And just try out what you have learned. Try to learn a few things each time.

My personal favorite is a fire piston just because I think the concept is cool. While in Sweden one trip I successfully made fire with a leg bone I found a chunk of ice. Found out how to do that on YouTube as well

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
...and wait until April or later to try it out. A 50* night without gear is cold enough to make you regret going out. Doing it in December or January when you don't need to is just dumb.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hear Ft. Benning has a few
View Quote

Spent the coldest night..and next day of my life there at Ft Benning... camping on a Boy Scout campout... it snowed... and iced over... we were in tents... everything was cold and wet. Not a good time... We finally made it to a lunchroom there to hang out til we could get on the road back to Middle Ga... learned a few good lessons there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top