BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:10 AM EDT
Rifle: AK-105
Ammo: Hornady 5.45x39 60gr V-Max
Distance to target: 35 yards
Distance Deer ran: 40 yards
Deer was mostly broadside with a slight quartering towards me and was struck on the right front shoulder.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I don't post much, but I like to stop in every so often to post a hunting picture (LOL). The War Poodle and I took down a monster buck this past Friday. A portion of our property was just recently clear cut and I setup a portable ground blind in one of the corners. The buck stepped out at the very last minute of light in the evening. I was just about to get out of my chair when he popped out into the clearing.

The buck had a very nice 4x4 rack and weighed in at an incredible 222lbs! This is a huge buck for my area. This deer definitely deserved a full head mount. I have it with the taxidermist now.

Enjoy…

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
War Poodle!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been waiting for the war poodle to surface. I will be expecting him to lead the resistance against the tyrannical government. Nice buck. Viva la War Poodle!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice deer..... 222 pounds is a beast
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome.  Love the war poodle trophy posts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the war poodles name?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
WAR POODLE!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been waiting for the war poodle to surface. I will be expecting him to lead the resistance against the tyrannical government. Nice buck. Viva la War Poodle!
View Quote

I agree more war poodle updates are needed. What does war poodle do in the off season??
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree more war poodle updates are needed. What does war poodle do in the off season??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word on the street is the war poodle doesn't have an off season. The war poodle hunts with its bare paws 8 months out of the year
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
awesome!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Word on the street is the war poodle doesn't have an off season. The war poodle hunts with its bare paws 8 months out of the year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he stays in shape by herding kangaroo and the kangaroo farm in Dawsonville. I'm pretty sure I've seen him there when I brought my daughter for a visit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What does war poodle do in the off season??
View Quote

He slays wild boar, of course!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does war poodle do in the off season??

He slays wild boar, of course!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/bust_em/Hunting/Wild%20Hogs/042313/IMG_2090_zps6b3ca1ec.jpg

Of course he does...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think he stays in shape by herding kangaroo and the kangaroo farm in Dawsonville.
View Quote

Actually, he hikes the Appalachian Trail with me to stay in shape when not hunting!  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got to know -What does he have in his backpack? Food, sleeping bag, rocket stove?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a nice deer!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifle CZ 527 chambered in 7.62x39
Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 scope,  Probably the best sub $200.00 scope on the market.
Federal Fusion 123gr soft point
Deer shot at 15 yards in thick cover quartering away....
Neck shot and buckled where was standing. Didn't take another step.

Shot a 180 pound main frame 8 last night....

Decent 3.5 year old buck but if I had it to do over again would have let him walk.

The rack wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it was before I ground checked him.

OTOH your deer is a 1st class shooter...!!!!!

td
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 scope,  Probably the best sub $200.00 scope on the market.

That's a shooter....

Decent 3.5 year old buck but if I had it to do over again would have let him walk.

He rack wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it was before I ground checked him.

td
View Quote

I guess you figured out the safety this time
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a shooter....

He rack wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it was before I ground checked him.

td

Yes and no......

I took Shep's advice and disengaged the safety as soon as I settled into my ground blind

My blind is extremely tough to hunt because the area's thick and you never see anything until it's practically sitting in your lap.

After you see the deer you only have a split second to engage the target and shoot.

That said, I would have let the 8 pointed I shot Sunday to walk had I been shooting over peanuts where I usually have plenty of time to evaluate the rack ETC.

I have allowed much better deer to walk in the past.

td
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the 60gr VMAX is performing quite well.

How many shots on the Buck?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been very happy with the 5.45 VMAX. It performs very nicely and gets the job done.

Only one shot on the buck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have been very happy with the 5.45 VMAX. It performs very nicely and gets the job done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP: Havent you been using 7n6 as well? How did that perform?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have harvested many deer and one pig with the 7n6. The round performs very well and gets the job done.  But I have not used it ever since Hornady released the 5.45 VMax a few years ago. I definitely prefer the Hornady, but 7N6 would be a close second choice. Although, for deer hunting your only choice is really the Hornady. Since the VMax is an expandable bullet and the 7n6 is not, you really need to use the Hornady to hunt legally. But for pigs or other game, the 7n6 would be perfectly fine if you do not have the Hornady available.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Name is Mak. (Named after my first AK rifle… a Chinese MAK-90)

Quoted:
I've got to know -What does he have in his backpack? Food, sleeping bag, rocket stove?

Since he is a small dog I don’t want him to carry too much weight on the trails. So I just have him carry his food in the backpack.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top