Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:34:26 PM EDT
Wonder how much damage was done? Dirtbag tboned me today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess would be they'll probably total it out. Sorry man.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
More than likely. I hope you are alright. Vehicles can be replaced.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My guess would be they'll probably total it out. Sorry man.

This.  Glad you're ok.

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
check the frame and your output shaft of your tcase.  if those are ok it's not totaled.

I see new drive shaft, leaf spring, fender (out and inner?), I doubt they will even replace the axle since all it looks like is it broke the centering ping and slid the axle back on the spring.  they are designed to break off like that.  I have broken half a dozen of them 4wheeling.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Frame is bent
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably, glad you are okay.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Frame is bent

On body-on-frame vehicles like trucks, that's not always the instant total that it can be on others. They have frame straightening machines for a reason. My S10 has been rear ended twice, bending the frame both times. Never been totalled. Depending upon what body shop you use, and what insurance company you have to deal with, the body shop can sometimes encourage the adjuster to let a borderline totaling go. That's what happened last time for me. I was right at the 75% State Farm uses as a guide. The girl at Ginn Chevrolet worked with State Farm to help me avoid having to pay a car payment each month.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frame is bent

On body-on-frame vehicles like trucks, that's not always the instant total that it can be on others. They have frame straightening machines for a reason. My S10 has been rear ended twice, bending the frame both times. Never been totalled. Depending upon what body shop you use, and what insurance company you have to deal with, the body shop can sometimes encourage the adjuster to let a borderline totaling go. That's what happened last time for me. I was right at the 75% State Farm uses as a guide. The girl at Ginn Chevrolet worked with State Farm to help me avoid having to pay a car payment each month.

Insurance companies do not go by bent frame to determine if a vehicle is totaled. What matters is if it cost more to fix than its worth. Some insurance companies will go beyond the 75% rule but not much. I worked with bodyshops for years and have seen a lot of huge repairs that should have been totaled out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, glad your ok.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.

If it's not totaled I'll trade it in. I dont care how good they repair it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know what year it is, but if you've got it paid off, and it's not totaled, just get the insurance company to cut you a check. Since you don't plan on keeping it either way, make sure you get full market value. You may have to turn around and pay the body shop for their time doing the estimate if any of the shop workers had to pull anything off to get a more precise estimate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#12]
What year? But with frame damage (and most likely transfer case damage up the driveline), I'd guess its done for.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry about the truck, it's in a better place like that progressive commercial. Lol
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What year? But with frame damage (and most likely transfer case damage up the driveline), I'd guess its done for.

My 03 f-250 was hit in a similar accident in 07.  Bent frame, broke the transfer case in half.  They repaired it.  If they try to repair it, only let a dealer do it.  They will replace the frame instead of bending it back.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#15]
If they do repair it, don't forget the diminished value that they'll owe you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The insurance company will send it someplace to have an estimate of repair done.

If the cost of repairing it exceeds the value of the truck, they will write it as a total loss.

This is what they did with my truck. Truck was worth 10k and the repairs would have been 12k including straightening the frame, so they totaled it.

I know for a fact that the truck was eventually repaired, because they called me wanting the keys.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#17]
It's a 2011.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Meh, I'd still drive it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd say probably totaled.

That being said, glad YOU weren't totaled.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks to be  t-bone, did you see it coming? Did you hit the breaks or floor it?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#21]
damn!

you're ok, right?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#22]
That was a solid hit. Too bad it wasn't just a few inches farther to the rear so it missed the cab.
I guess that there is a chance the frame is not bent but it did take a hell of a lot of force to shear the U-bolts on the axle.
The repair cost will be  much less than the value of the vehicle but it may not be less than the cost of repair plus the salvage value of the truck.
The best route to fix it is to find a used bed. there are used beds available at junk yards. Maybe not so many if that body style is new to 2011 and later.
If you get really lucky you may find one in the right color.
When negotiating with the insurance make sure you remember the cost of the bed liner and the customer wheel, tire or anything else that was damaged.
Good luck,  You only find out the how good your insurance company is until you file a claim.

Since you said dirtbag I am assuming that you will have to involve your insurance company to get money from them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I seriously doubt its totaled...
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn Stryc, glad you're ok. Where'd that happen?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]
that looked like a sweet truck.

Are those step bars the kind that open and retract when a door's opened?

any aftermarket parts in it worthwhile parting out?  I have a '08 Sierra Crew Cab and I'm open to whatever is in it. Does it have a homelink remote control in the roof console?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#26]
My family has been in automotive collision for 40+ years and I would say depending on the milage and year. Honestly judging by the photos it is an easy fix even if the frame is bent it could be done in 4 to 5 weeks depending on availability of parts. Most frames now days are getting harder and harder to repair due to the manufacturer and insurance recommendations but we did replace many frames as in swapping out the old for new and used frame in some circumstances. The truck I drive daily has a brand new frame under it from Gm. If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me.

Now the problem we are running into now just recently the salvage parts market is HOT and they are looking for trucks. Don't be surprised if it does total they are being bought up by salvage companies for stupid money at an alarming rate. Most are being sold and going to foreign countries.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 03 f-250 was hit in a similar accident in 07.  Bent frame, broke the transfer case in half.  They repaired it.  If they try to repair it, only let a dealer do it.  They will replace the frame instead of bending it back.  Good luck.

Some of the dealer shops are the worst ones to have a repair done at...
You have got to do your homework first.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had mine repaired at a local shop my insurance co recommended.  They dicked it up so bad I sold it two weeks later.  I learned from that experience.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had mine repaired at a local shop my insurance co recommended.  They dicked it up so bad I sold it two weeks later.  I learned from that experience.

I agree the insurance co uses shops that they can control regardless of the work they do. The local dealer repair shops in my are i wouldn't let them fix my bicycle...

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
It happened on the 25 bypass coming back from Miilen. I only seem him out the corner of my eye and had no time to react. Spun around 2 times and at one point seen daylight out the side window....I think it was close to rolling.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#31]
you live or work in Millen?? Ive got family that lives there
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad to see you are ok and didn't have to come see me at work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#33]
2 questions for the OP:

Where you issued a citation?
Did the officer investigating the accident shoot your dog?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 3:35:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The insurance company will send it someplace to have an estimate of repair done.

If the cost of repairing it exceeds the value of the truck, they will write it as a total loss.

This is what they did with my truck. Truck was worth 10k and the repairs would have been 12k including straightening the frame, so they totaled it.

I know for a fact that the truck was eventually repaired, because they called me wanting the keys.

State Farm wanted the keys for my BMW that was totaled.  I know they didn't repair and resell it because the whole front end was about 2 feet long from the windshield to what was left of the front bumper.   I have to say BMW did a hell of a good job designing that crush zone.  My ex and daughter might not still be here if they had been in some other cars I've seen after head-on accidents.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I was rear ended recently and the insurance company totaled my car and the car that hit me. Neither car was damaged that bad but I believe the insurance companies total the cars, take the loss, and recoup some of their money by selling the "totaled"  cars for salvage. Both wrecked car were driveable and driven to the same body shop that is preapproved for most major insurers in Canton. Body shop leader told me that the trend is for the cars to be totaled.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#36]
While not a truck, the first few years Ford Focus's were made they could be totaled from one of the rear side windows being broken.  At 2 years old and any more damage beyond just the broken glass, an insurance company would write it off as a total loss.  This was due to that single piece of glass costing over $2k.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
While not a truck, the first few years Ford Focus's were made they could be totaled from one of the rear side windows being broken.  At 2 years old and any more damage beyond just the broken glass, an insurance company would write it off as a total loss.  This was due to that single piece of glass costing over $2k.

You have to remember that the used part market is better than its ever been. Nationwide parts databases and the internet have made it no longer a long shot. The used factory parts are selling for 1/2 - 2/3 of what dealers charge for new stuff. There are some cars that are undamaged that are worth as much to a junkyard than they are driving. That is part of the reason we see so much "totalling" of cars.

I've bought several color matched parts from junkyards and you would think they were original.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I live in  Claxton and was on my way back from Millen.

I still need to come see you Ken....just not at work.

I didnt recieve any citations. They wouldnt be able to shot my dag....when she sees a gun she GTFO.

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Now the endless missed phone calls begin.

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I live in  Claxton and was on my way back from Millen.

I still need to come see you Ken....just not at work.

I didnt recieve any citations. They wouldnt be able to shot my dag....when she sees a gun she GTFO.

I hear DHS just ordered a bunch of new "running dag" targets for training, better hide her anyway . . .

jk, Glad you are okay, sorry about the truck.

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#41]
It will buff out......

ETA: I can't believe this phrase made it deep into page two before it came out....          
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I bet it takes the left hand downhill turns better than when it rolled off the showroom.
Hell you don't need that rear driveshaft, you have one in the front.
Is that wet stain on the running board from where you stepped  out after the impact?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bet it takes the left hand downhill turns better than when it rolled off the showroom.
Is that wet stain on the running board from where you stepped  out after the impact?

Transmission fliud.....it busted the housing.

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#44]
It definitely may have busted the housing but all auto's that I have ever had would also leak with the driveshaft pulled out.
Is it possible the oil is coming out of the output shaft where the driveshaft usually seals it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transmission fliud.....it busted the housing.

Not as big of a deal as it sounds...I could get a used one at my door by lunchtime tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#46]
You better hope they total it.  Glad you walked away from it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Still can't get up with my "claims rep".......

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Make sure they are giving you a rental. Last time i went through this they had to give you a rental until they made an offer
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Id just like for either rep to return my calls.

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Adjuster told rep it dont look good......will know more after they go over the numbers.

Anybody here have a new model 4 door Rubicon? Pros..cons?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top