Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2013 5:53:37 PM EDT
hey rudy, i need your help.  can you mill out slots 33-36 on the rail, if you can, i may need some of the sides milled out to.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't see why not.............
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
is your cnc or  how do you do it, a press?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Dremel.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a hack saw and a sharpie marker....  
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dremel.

Lol, i dremel'd the front sight gas block on my mid length upper down to make a low pro cause the flash hider is pinned and I wanted to install a ff tube myself. I was pretty nervous about it, never having done it before, but damn if it didn't turn out fine!
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know guys, I have dremel before and it still makes me nervous. I hate to completely mare up my rail. Id like to have a clean cut.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
with the top quality parts you got there, I think I would pay a little $ to have it done right and like you said have clean lines.  I have used the dremel for many of my own projects--but for this I would go pro
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
with the top quality parts you got there, I think I would pay a little $ to have it done right and like you said have clean lines.  I have used the dremel for many of my own projects--but for this I would go pro

Exactly what I was thinking, even though the rail came with the, I hate to drop $300+ to replace it, even if I could find one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dremel.

Lol, i dremel'd the front sight gas block on my mid length upper down to make a low pro cause the flash hider is pinned and I wanted to install a ff tube myself. I was pretty nervous about it, never having done it before, but damn if it didn't turn out fine!
Did exactly the same thing.  Worked fine.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't know guys, I have dremel before and it still makes me nervous. I hate to completely mare up my rail. Id like to have a clean cut.
That is why I put a smiley face.  Was not serious.  Quality piece deserves quality work.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Dremel.

What kind of cutoff wheel are you all using?  I have been using the thin quarter size disks mine came with.  It was too slow so i just took a hack saw to the fsb on my 5.45 and cut it down.  Now looking through the 1.25-4x is useable!

On a rail that will be highly visible, I would also want it done right!  Either someone with steady hands or proper tools, preferably both  I'm just a garage hack myself.  I just had Accurate Ordnance in Winder do some mill work for me.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why I put a smiley face.  Was not serious.  Quality piece deserves quality work.

No harm, I'm gonna give AO a dial.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I mean the gas block thing isn't visible, and got spray painted black; it was more anecdotal than anything else. For this I wouldn't dremel it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Dremel.

HA! I used the dremel, hacksaw, file, beer, alumablack etc.... technique too. I cut a notch in my Troy Alpha rail so the Noveske Switch Block would clear. Mine is a 20" SPRish setup. It turned out "OK". Will try to post some pic's over the weekend. Not recommending that OP do this. Usually not doing as I do is good practice.

OP, will the FF tube slide over the Switchblock now (i.e. without the slot)? If not, you're going to have a heck of time putting it together even with the slot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#15]
You could always just drill a hole where you need it. Start small and work your way up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks rudy, here the product of your help, man it was a pain to fit it all together.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I love this thing
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#18]
looks good--glad you finally got it done and together
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Wish I'd had more than just the HG....bet we could have fitted it much closer....
Rudy
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Na, im very happy with it. You sir do awesome work, and I enjoy our conversations while I'm there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks very nice. Are those edges sharp or a possible snag hazard?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks very nice. Are those edges sharp or a possible snag hazard?

Yeah I could see them getting snagged, but im not in mil or leo so not an issue to me. I could prob sand or file the edges abit but it would only need tio be done on the side section cut out.  He left a little edge ledge on the top of the picatinny but that won't snag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top