Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 11:44:10 AM EDT
Is an armed civilian to stop a regular crime, active shooter, or similar situation and we need it soon.   Please don't misunderstand me--I am not advocating anyone being hurt or wishing for another tragedy but jeez --- it would be nice if one of these idiots could be stopped by one of the people, with one of the weapons that seem so likely to be banned. That could give us just enough public support to ensure no insane legislation gets passed.

There is at least one school districts in TX that allow armed teachers (or administrators maybe) and documented events where problems were stopped before anyone was hurt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, if there was an armed civilian who stopped a mass shooting it wouldnt be on the news like these school shootings... There has been a few but you never hear of it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, if there was an armed civilian who stopped a mass shooting it wouldnt be on the news like these school shootings... There has been a few but you never hear of it.

True. Its doesn't fit into the media's agenda so it will not be covered. Look at the armed civilian who was in the Clackamas Mall a few weeks ago and drew his pistol on the mass muderer who, at the time, was clearing his jammed rifle. The armed civilian did not fire a shot only because he saw movement behind the shooter and was afraid to hit an innocent bystander. The civilian did say the shooter saw him and the next shot fired was the shooter killing himself. I think the civilian was responsible for saving many more lives because if the shooter successfully cleared his jam he would have continued on his rampage.

However, do you think the media gave any notice to this story? NO. It was covered by the local media stations for only a brief amount of time but was never carried nationally. Why? Because the mass media suppressed the story so the general public would not hear about the heroics of the armed civilian thus giving credence to having concealed carry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to mention these people dont go on these kind of sprees where they know people are armed.  I wonder how many shootings there have been at a gun show (not accidental).
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I still cant figure out why, if he had a gun, and the rifle was jammed, Why didnt he close the gap? if i'm close enough to take the shot, but didnt feel comfortable due to civilians, and he's jammed up, I'm closing the gap with pistol at the ready Untill I feel comfortable with the shot. If he starts to raise the rifle I'm not taking the chance of him clearing the rifle and shooting more people or coming after me. I understand not taking the shot for fear of collateral damage, but why just give up all together? And the shooter, AFTER clearing the jam, and with no-one shooting back at him just wanders off and shoots himself?

Kinda makes me doubt the story.

It's what you did. Not what you could have done, should have done, or would have done.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I still cant figure out why, if he had a gun, and the rifle was jammed, Why didnt he close the gap? if i'm close enough to take the shot, but didnt feel comfortable due to civilians, and he's jammed up, I'm closing the gap with pistol at the ready Untill I feel comfortable with the shot. If he starts to raise the rifle I'm not taking the chance of him clearing the rifle and shooting more people or coming after me. I understand not taking the shot for fear of collateral damage, but why just give up all together? And the shooter, AFTER clearing the jam, and with no-one shooting back at him just wanders off and shoots himself?

It's what you did. Not what you could have done, should have done, or would have done.

most likely a lack of training explains that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He also had his wife and infant daughter with him. He got them to a safe location and when he was heading back out to the shooter he heard the final shot...... Or so the story goes according to another interview i read.

If that is the case he did the right thing imho. My family is my first priority
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

most likely a lack of training explains that.

I'm thinking this as well. There's stuff you've got to make peace with in your own mind, more than just putting a site post on and squeezing.
If you haven't dealt with that stuff and made peace with it, that is not the time to try working it out.
CCW ain't about being a tuff guy, but if you're gonna carry you'd damn sure have your head straight if the need truly arises.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top