Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 6:36:15 AM EDT
Hey guys, about to move to a new spec ops position that will require a good bit of foot beats and k9 work. Need a rugged but comfortable boot, hopefully not as heavy as a danner. Any suggestions on a boot you feel is proven and why you like it will be appreciated. I searched the site everywhere i could think of and came up with nothing. Again thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What size do you wear?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I know before I left my department (APD) a lot of guys were using these . Hope that helps
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair of Thorogoods that are pretty rugged.  They are heavy though.  I'm just a regular guy so can't speak to the duty part.

http://www.midwestboots.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TH834-6219&Category_Code=Thorogood
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
For lightweight and rugged, the 5.11 boots are great.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the Nike SFBs in BCT. Used them on the final ruck march, and it seemed like I was wearing tennis shoes.

They are pretty much as light as running shoes, but I've heard stories they aren't that good on wet concrete. dirt/gravel traction is awesome. Round $140 +/-

Personally, I love them. When they finally wear out, I'll be buying a replacement pair.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
the 5.11 ATAC series held up well for a number of years for me.  but i also run Danner Ft Lewis and Oakleys.

i have retired 3 pair of 5.11's and now just run the Danners for regular duty/detail stuff and use the Oakleys for entry/tac work.

i don't find the weight of the Danners translating to fatigue on my feet.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I wear 5.11 A.T.A.C. Storm boots; on my second pair in 2 years.  These are not our issued boots, but I manage to get them through the purchase order process somehow.

Now, while I'm on my second pair for work, I still have the first pair, and I've been wearing them when I ride (motorcycle).  I don't do much to take care of my boots, so they wear out, looks wise, on the outside (scuffed up toes), but are still servicable for wearing off duty.  I've worked many a traffic collision in these boots, in the rain, and my feet have stayed dry.  In fact, the only time my feet have ever gotten wet wearing these is when I was in a foot chase that took me through a creek.  Only the tops of my socks really got wet.  They aren't that heavy, and I bet if they were cared for (again, I don't seem to good at that), they would look great for awhile.  I like the fact they are side zip.  They also have a niffty area for concealing a small knife on them.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Footwear/8-Boots/ATAC-Storm-Boot.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with with either a light weight version of the Danner uniform boots or with Oakley SI boots. I'm destructo boy and these are two the few brands that can take it and still perform for long periods of time.

Quoted:

Hey guys, about to move to a new spec ops position that will require a good bit of foot beats and k9 work. Need a rugged but comfortable boot, hopefully not as heavy as a danner. Any suggestions on a boot you feel is proven and why you like it will be appreciated. I searched the site everywhere i could think of and came up with nothing. Again thanks

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm 9 months (12hr days, 15days a month give or take) into my first pair of 5.11 side zip A.T.A.C boots and so far so good.  I'm on concrete all day and depending on my assignment, I'll do 22 stair step, 4 times an hour.  I bought a second pair of insoles for use during the summer months and rotated them after every shift just so they would be fresh the next day.
I tried on every pair of boots ( Bates, Converse, Thorgood, Rocky & 5.11) the shop had looking for a pair of boots that were comfortable right out of the box, easy on and easy off-thus the side zipper, and squeaked very little if at all on polished concrete-makes it easier nice to sneak up on the inmates .
In about 3 months I'll buy a second pair with our allowance and be good to go.
7mm
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have worn the Oakleys every day at work for over a year. Very happy with the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Say what you want but I used to buy the Herman Survivors at Wal-Mart. They were very comfy, waterproof, and insulated. At $40 and change a pair, I bought new boots once a year.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have worn the Oakleys every day at work for over a year. Very happy with the Oakleys.

I've got a pair on right now that I bought at discount from
USSTANDARDISSUE.com and have had for over 1.5 years now. They are like
wearing sneakers they are so comfortable.

Long time ago when I
was doing some instructor training I saw some guys wearing them and
asked what they were. These are guys that like me now were on their feet
constantly, often on the range for long periods of time and I took to
heart their recommendation.

When it comes to my feet, I'm like
Lt. Dan. Wear good socks and don't frigging skimp on boots. Yeah I've
got some cheap foot wear but the stuff I wear all day for several days
or for long periods of time when I'm on my feet on hard surfaces for 12+
hours, it's going to be Danner or Oakley quality. Nothing else really
has proven itself the way these products have. Hell I was re-coating some 5 year old Ft. Lewis Danners one day when I probably applied too much heat to the boot and saw a separation in the heel section of the sole. Danner took the boots back and sent me a brand new pair no questions asked. When was the last time someone replaced your 5 year old boots with a brand new $380 pair of new boots? Some retailer or the mfg in China sure as fuck isn't going to that now are they?

Buy once, cry once versus crying because you didn't spend right the first time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top