Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 11:29:42 AM EDT
The car business has fallen off since the election, I'd say we are down 60-75% of business since.  I wonder if this is going to keep up or not?

Now for the shameless plug/begging,

If anyone, particularly anyone in Northwest GA needs a car, please come see me at Heritage Honda/GMC/Buick,  we are right across from the Rome High School.  You can reach me at 706-291-2277, just ask for Eric when you call or come by.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The car business has fallen off since the election, I'd say we are down 60-75% of business since.  I wonder if this is going to keep up or not?

If anyone, particularly anyone in Northwest GA needs a car, please come see me at Heritage Honda/GMC/Buick,  we are right across from the Rome High School.  You can reach me at 706-291-2277, just ask for Eric when you call or come by.

I'll give you $5k cash for a perfect condition late 2000s toyota or honda minivan with all the fixins.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My in laws just searched for a new jeep. We must have called 6 dealerships and they all were at the exact same $$$ of sticker. Seems like area price fixing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I see 2/3 of your problem.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Now if you were a VW dealer and willing to make me a good deal on a DSG GTI we could talk...

But your not so....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
ah..

can you get me a new CRX? Thats an X btw, not looking for one of those new electric things.

or even an FIT type R .................................................
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I work in service, and I can say we are slow as hell right now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Another side note. Dealer screwed up my recall repair of a transmission wiring harness a few years ago. Started leaking again. They replaced an oring when they should have replaced an $8 retail part.

Wanted 225 to redo the half assed work. That's why dealer service is slow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
We are on track to have one of the best months we have had this year. We are track 18 units ahead this month versus last month. I think it is the complete opposite. After the election people have started to loosen up a little. We sell Fords though so maybe that's the difference who knows though. Our month could go all to hell tomorrow. We sold 3 today though. 2 new and 1 used.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats the car market for ya.  Up one moment and down the next.    I wouldn't blame it on the elections.  More like the lack of decent paying jobs in Rome.  I was surprised at the number of convicted felons in that area also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another side note. Dealer screwed up my recall repair of a transmission wiring harness a few years ago. Started leaking again. They replaced an oring when they should have replaced an $8 retail part.

Was the recall for the "O" ring or the whole part? Also how do you know  the part wasn't changed?

On a side note; does anyone else work in a field where the customer thinks, "This guy is trying to fuck me." when they first meet you? Everyone I come into contact thinks I'm trying to fuck them like I'm some sort of asshole.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My in laws just searched for a new jeep. We must have called 6 dealerships and they all were at the exact same $$$ of sticker. Seems like area price fixing.

I was just looking and noticed the same thing.. For the first time ever I had 3 dealerships tell me they wouldn't really move on the price.. It's as low as it will go they say... Looking at an f150 or tundra.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just looking and noticed the same thing.. For the first time ever I had 3 dealerships tell me they wouldn't really move on the price.. It's as low as it will go they say... Looking at an f150 or tundra.

I will sell you and F-150 a long ways back of sticker if you will come see me. We will sell it to you as close to invoice as you will find.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I was looking to buy a new F150, but after the election I said fuck it...I do not want anything with a payment attached to it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm picking up a new VW Passat TDI this week. Best price by several thousand was in SC. Couple dealers in Ga were out of their minds on pricing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm picking up a new VW Passat TDI this week. Best price by several thousand was in SC. Couple dealers in Ga were out of their minds on pricing.

And what is the deal with many dealers charging a $599 marketing (or whatever) charge.
We were looking for a Toyota and more than half of them were charging this (usually the big name/chain dealer).
Seems like junk fee for extra $ to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought two new Ford vehicles a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Dawger,  how does the sales tax work when you buy in another state,  any bearing on the new ad  valorem rules ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the recall for the "O" ring or the whole part? Also how do you know  the part wasn't changed?

On a side note; does anyone else work in a field where the customer thinks, "This guy is trying to fuck me." when they first meet you? Everyone I come into contact thinks I'm trying to fuck them like I'm some sort of asshole.

It was actually a warranty tsb. The original tsb was for the oring but later it was updated for the whole part. I don't know when I brought it in compared to the tsb.

My point is that they could have repaired it recently for a reasonable price. It's about 15-20 min to swap out the connector so 45-60 minutes when you include all the time to get it up, testing, etc. if they had said 100-125 I would have thought it was reasonable.

I am confident that any mechanic worth a shit would have rejected the oring repair when a new plug was available.

Dealers don't seem to realize that each customer is a relationship.  Sometimes you have to be flexible to keep a long term paying customer. Local mechanics get this and are doing really well if they treat people right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was looking to buy a new F150, but after the election I said fuck it...I do not want anything with a payment attached to it.

Well, if you can afford the car, doesn't necessarily mean you should buy it outright.

I just bought a new car and have a 0% loan.  Yes I could just buy it outright, but I like the idea of paying for it with future (depreciated) dollars.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I suspect another issue is that people are buying used cars versus new. I would love to own a new Ford Boss 302 Mustang but cannot justify the cost new - I will wait a few years and buy used.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ah..

can you get me a new CRX? Thats an X btw, not looking for one of those new electric things.

or even an FIT type R .................................................

lol, chances are not good,

and business had been good all year, one of the best we have had since 2005-06 im told.  Maybe it will pick up in December, I'm sure someone still buys cars as christmas presents.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what is the deal with many dealers charging a $599 marketing (or whatever) charge.
We were looking for a Toyota and more than half of them were charging this (usually the big name/chain dealer).
Seems like junk fee for extra $ to me.

Our fee is $499, 99% of dealers have some sort of dealer fee or whatever they call it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We are on track to have one of the best months we have had this year. We are track 18 units ahead this month versus last month. I think it is the complete opposite. After the election people have started to loosen up a little. We sell Fords though so maybe that's the difference who knows though. Our month could go all to hell tomorrow. We sold 3 today though. 2 new and 1 used.

which Ford dealer

i'm a 22 year veteran Ford service tech and our service dept is up and down, we slowed WAY down in service and i'm hearing grumblings from salesman. on the bright side any UTI tech can get a job here and starve out in a couple of weeks
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
on the bright side any UTI tech can get a job here and starve out in a couple of weeks

Lord save us from UTI!!!

I cringed when I saw my car being serviced by a UTI grad the other day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

thank you from a Ford tech
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
on the bright side any UTI tech can get a job here and starve out in a couple of weeks

Lord save us from UTI!!!

LOL, they are awesome, we had 2 UTI "hotshots" take 2 days to remove and replace a healiner in a Focus. i ended having to repair 2 shorts to power when they got done. the lady that owned the vehicle came by to get items out of trunk and she saw the passenger door laying on the floor . the new diesel UTI guy has worked on 7 and has had 7 rechecks as of this morning but we veteran techs are hated so they just keep this cycle going
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Thankfully mine was just the 20k service and oil change....

Although it took them all day to align my car a couple weeks ago. I was starting to steam when I came after work and it wasn't done.

Damn UTI grads.

Wish there was a way to demand only experienced techs work on my car and it actually happen.

Vote you should move over to the Bus side of things. We might have an opening or 2 coming up soon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you from a Ford tech

You're quite welcome. I've had really good service from Ford so far.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lord save us from UTI!!!

LOL, they are awesome, we had 2 UTI "hotshots" take 2 days to remove and replace a healiner in a Focus. i ended having to repair 2 shorts to power when they got done. the lady that owned the vehicle came by to get items out of trunk and she saw the passenger door laying on the floor . the new diesel UTI guy has worked on 7 and has had 7 rechecks as of this morning but we veteran techs are hated so they just keep this cycle going

We don't get any UTI techs up here. All of ours are NADC graduates and I have yet to find one that was worth anything. I have had to get rid of everyone we hired. They all act like they know everything and all wind up screwing up something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Stepup, Vote,  sisters kid was considering both of those schools,  who do you prefer instead ?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stepup, Vote,  sisters kid was considering both of those schools,  who do you prefer instead ?

Just my unasked 2 cents.

Get the kid to go to a local tech college. He's going to get comparable training at a fraction of the cost.

Biggest problem with UTI grads is they have a huge debt load and still don't know anything more than a kid out of Griffin Tech.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My vote is for him to find a job at a local Jiffy Lube or something like that and once he has learned the ropes there go to a Ford Dealership and get a job in the Quicklane which is what most Ford Dealers use for there feeder program to there Service Dept. From what I have saw from the nuerous NADC and the 1 UTI tech that has worked for us they wasted a whole bunch of money. Tell your sisters kid to get a job and work hard trying to learn everything. He needs to learn alignments. Up here techs to change oil are a dime a dozen but usually if someone can do alignments they are ut at the front of the line for jobs. Don't let him waste his money on either of these schools.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My vote is for him to find a job at a local Jiffy Lube or something like that and once he has learned the ropes there go to a Ford Dealership and get a job in the Quicklane which is what most Ford Dealers use for there feeder program to there Service Dept. From what I have saw from the nuerous NADC and the 1 UTI tech that has worked for us they wasted a whole bunch of money. Tell your sisters kid to get a job and work hard trying to learn everything. He needs to learn alignments. Up here techs to change oil are a dime a dozen but usually if someone can do alignments they are ut at the front of the line for jobs. Don't let him waste his money on either of these schools.

This gets my vote. We have had tons of guys from UTI and Wyotech get hired just to fizzle out. Local tech schools are just as good, MUCH cheaper(especially with HOPE) and many times the instructors have connections with local shops/dealers. This is how I got my start. I went to Appalachian Tech(now Chattahoochee Tech) and a job after graduation at a local independent shop who had connections with the instructor. Worked there for about a year to learn the ropes and gain some experience before I got hired on at a Toyota dealer. 10 years later I'm a MDT at Toyota and have relative job security. HTH
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets my vote. We have had tons of guys from UTI and Wyotech get hired just to fizzle out. Local tech schools are just as good, MUCH cheaper(especially with HOPE) and many times the instructors have connections with local shops/dealers. This is how I got my start. I went to Appalachian Tech(now Chattahoochee Tech) and a job after graduation at a local independent shop who had connections with the instructor. Worked there for about a year to learn the ropes and gain some experience before I got hired on at a Toyota dealer. 10 years

later I'm a MDT at Toyota and have relative job security. HT

I only hire techs with 2 years experence, because the grads want to use you to train them. Plus too many know nothing, the top grads are pre selected by dealers with unbelievable pay offers

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
sorry for the late post, i would get my kid into a local tech school for automotive. the debt and lack of knowledge is unreal. some tech schools have program where the kid can work hands on with a tech and learn in the "real world". that way they can see what tech life is REALLY like, the good, bad and ugly.

i personally had 2 years of automotive in high school, then went through a 2 year program at Riverside Ford in Macon. i feel that is the best way to enter the business, this field is heading into a real Hell, people getting in really need to decide if they want to do it
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets my vote. We have had tons of guys from UTI and Wyotech get hired just to fizzle out. Local tech schools are just as good, MUCH cheaper(especially with HOPE) and many times the instructors have connections with local shops/dealers. This is how I got my start. I went to Appalachian Tech(now Chattahoochee Tech) and a job after graduation at a local independent shop who had connections with the instructor. Worked there for about a year to learn the ropes and gain some experience before I got hired on at a Toyota dealer. 10 years

I only hire techs with 2 years experence, because the grads want to use you to train them. Plus too many know nothing, the top grads are pre selected by dealers with unbelievable pay offers

the pay offers are garbage, and dealers only bring in lowered paid guys to under cut the vets, i have watched this for 10 plus years. it's the whole reason we have a "quicklane" why pay a guy 20 plus dollars an hour when hot shot know it all will work for 9 to 15 dollars an hour. it doesn't matter that A/C jobs come back 3 times, brake calipers are left loose, every EEC part was replaced for the P0401 egr no flow code. i could go on. our heavy line engine tech is fixing to leave and you guessed it, his UTI helper at half his rate has told our service manager he can do the job. this guy has to have his hand held at almost every point, and has VERY limited tools. we are all take bets of his first VCT phaser job it's going to be expensive for the shop. when i came into the business after i graduated for the tech program, it was sink or swim, with tools and others tech helping you, times have changed
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the pay offers are garbage, and dealers only bring in lowered paid guys to under cut the vets, i have watched this for 10 plus years. it's the whole reason we have a "quicklane" why pay a guy 20 plus dollars an hour when hot shot know it all will work for 9 to 15 dollars an hour. it doesn't matter that A/C jobs come back 3 times, brake calipers are left loose, every EEC part was replaced for the P0401 egr no flow code. i could go on. our heavy line engine tech is fixing to leave and you guessed it, his UTI helper at half his rate has told our service manager he can do the job. this guy has to have his hand held at almost every point, and has VERY limited tools. we are all take bets of his first VCT phaser job it's going to be expensive for the shop. when i came into the business after i graduated for the tech program, it was sink or swim, with tools and others tech helping you, times have changed

Our quicklane is not ran at all like that. They do nothing but routine maintnance, tires,brakes,and alignments. They will not touch A/C or anything to do with a check engine light. We treat it just like an onsite jiffy lube. That is the way Ford meant for it to be ran. You must work for one hell of an ass hole to cut you guys out of the picture like that. We also will not schedule appointments in the QL. Anyone wanting and appointment is transferred straight to the Service dept. so that drives alot of jobs over there. It sounds like your dealer has yall set up as competition where we have ours set up to work together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
More you guys talk.... The gladder I am I got out of that rat race years ago!

7 years teaching and now working school buses is well worth the steady pay and benefits. Even if the job doesn't pay what a a GOOD tech can make turning hours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our quicklane is not ran at all like that. They do nothing but routine maintnance, tires,brakes,and alignments. They will not touch A/C or anything to do with a check engine light. We treat it just like an onsite jiffy lube. That is the way Ford meant for it to be ran. You must work for one hell of an ass hole to cut you guys out of the picture like that. We also will not schedule appointments in the QL. Anyone wanting and appointment is transferred straight to the Service dept. so that drives alot of jobs over there. It sounds like your dealer has yall set up as competition where we have ours set up to work together.

when they first opened, we had a huge meeting with the owners, GM, service manager, and the QL was only going to do tires, oilchanges and alignments, and up sell mechanical repairs for us. that changed in several months after they opened. it's about the bottom line, period. they have as many quicklane "techs" as we have techs on our side, in fact they have taken one entire side of the shop, other than the last 2 bays where our trans tech works. we use to do PDI's and used cars to help bulk up our weeks, they do 100% of them now, we have become a warranty repair center on our side. from what i understand, many other QL's are starting to do this also, the last time i was at the school, the instructor was telling us how Ford dealers are loosing their certified techs left and right because of this practice. MOST dealers do NOT care, i'm glad to hear you guys run it correctly and look out for the techs
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I would bet our QL is more profitable just because of the sheer volume they do from handing off more intense jobs and just sticking with the simple stuff.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would bet our QL is more profitable just because of the sheer volume they do from handing off more intense jobs and just sticking with the simple stuff.

we supposedly have the #1 QL in the At;anta region, SM said it was the #1 in the country, i don't know, those guys stay busy
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

we supposedly have the #1 QL in the At;anta region, SM said it was the #1 in the country, i don't know, those guys stay busy

We are in the Atlanta region and we are in the top of our group 10 out of 12 months per year. We run about 75,000 per month with 3 techs in there which is pretty dang amazing. you should find a copy of the QL dealer agreement and show it to your service manager. You may lose your job but from what your saying they do it is going completely against the dealer agreement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top