Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2012 5:02:25 PM EDT
We moved into this house last fall.  The first time I saw the fox, he (or she, as the case may be) was trotting across my driveway with what looked like either a big as hell rat or a small possum in his jaws.  I'd have to guess that he was a good 20 to 25 pounds, maybe 18 inches at the shoulder.  I'm guessing this because of the way he looked compared to my daughter's 10 pound Yorkie (which Yorkie, BTW, chased his mangy red butt clear back into the woods and beyond, proving once again that it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog...)

I've seen him a few times since, going to and fro about his fox-ish business.  The last time I saw him was a week or so ago.  We had a box of breakfast cereal that had seen better days and gone stale, so I scattered it across the yard thinking that our local deer population would find it a nice tasty treat.  Much to my surprise, not 30 minutes later Mr. Fox had set up on this like it was a Las Vegas buffet.  

Mrs. Ceetee, who normally is all "Oh, look at the poor little thing, he's hungry, what can we feed him?"  in this instance was going, "Ya gotta shoot him! He'll kill the puppy!  C'mon, shoot him!  Shoot him!"  

Now, we have two full-grown German Shepherds, which I'm not worried about losing to a hungry fox.  But we also have the little Yorkie (who has more attitude than brawn) and a little toy poodle (who is dumber than a box of rocks, but she's only five months old, so I gotta cut her a little slack I guess).  Mrs. Ceetee is all worried that eventually the fox will get hungry enough to try and take one of the little ones out.  I'm thinking that he's been living here a helluva lot longer than we have, he's already got his food supply lined up, and it prolly consists of critters I'd just as soon not have around anyway.  I'm all for leaving him alone unless he starts to show signs of super aggressiveness (which might indicate rabies).  

Opinions?  Do I take him out, and rid our household pets of this verminous threat?  Or let him go on about his merry way doing his part to keep the local population of rabbits, squerls, and possums in check?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in my yard as well , they generally avoid your pets . I let him live , he eats persimmons and bread I throw out for the birds
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
meh. Let it be. They're cool. Fuck coyotes though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am ok with foxes (unless they act rabid) - I will shoot any coyote I get a safe shot at though........
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Me thinks there's a season on fur bears in GA....

Even so I see a lot gray and the occasional red fox from the deer stand and I see no reason to pull the trigger on one be they in season or otherwise.

td
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even so I see a lot gray and the occasional red fox from the deer stand and I see no reason to pull the trigger on one be they in season or otherwise.

td

No season or limit on predators in GA. The rancher where I hunt might shoot ME if I didn't kill a 'yote.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

td

No season or limit on predators in GA. The rancher where I hunt might shoot ME if I didn't kill a 'yote.

Per online GA DNR Regs....

Fox and Bobcat Dec 1 to to Feb 28 No Limit...

Both considered Small Game and a hunting license is required for harvest.

I swear fox and bob cat were once classified as fur bearers in GA..????

Yotes and hogs are classified as non-game in GA so no limit or season but GA hunting license is required for harvest.

td
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a small family of them in the back forest area. Beautiful animals. I like them. I wouldn't shoot them unless they came to the house. Even then I might hesitate.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never had a problem with the foxes around here.  If anything, they are mildly social and funny to watch.  Let them live until they give you a really good reason not to.

Coyotes, though?  I've had a group of three give me the death stare while blocking my car in the driveway.  They get the instadeath.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They get the instadeath.

Lol I love it
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I get the occasional red fox, which I enjoy having around, and a few gray foxes, to which I'm mostly indifferent.

I would never shoot the red, but I wouldn't say that about the grays. The gray foxes are sneaky, stinky, and get into shit. But they haven't overrun the place so I let them be for now.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
They'll kill your cats.  IF you don't have cats, I'd suggest leaving the fox alone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#12]
let him live but as others have said, shoot coyote's
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Let it be
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Let him fo.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

td

you want to make a bet on that one?

GR
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]
OP if its not trying to kill your pets or acting rabid leave it alone.
Theres a lot more of them around than people think.

GR
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

td

Per online GA DNR Regs....

Fox and Bobcat Dec 1 to to Feb 28 No Limit...

Both considered Small Game and a hunting license is required for harvest.

I swear fox and bob cat were once classified as fur bearers in GA..????

Yotes and hogs are classified as non-game in GA so no limit or season but GA hunting license is required for harvest.

td

fox and bobcat are considered small game as well as furbearers.
not to mention they are also consdered game animals.
GR
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one to.  He sneaks in the yard to eat my persimmons.   My dog likes them to so she regularly stakes out the tree and chases him away.  However sometimes the fox gets a meal before getting caught.  When I let her out she never fails to go straight to the tree to check.  Quite funny to watch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually kill them. (I'm a waterfowl hunter and would like to see the duck population explode).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
would like to see the duck population explode

I'll drink to that!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

would like to see the duck population explode

I'll drink to that!

Must be a member of drunks I mean ducks unlimited

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I usually kill them. (I'm a waterfowl hunter and would like to see the duck population explode).

I haven't got my license, so I have to let him be.  He really isn't bothering me or mine anyway.  We don't see him very often, so when we do it's more like a "Hey, he's back" kinda thing and the dogs go crazy barking at the windows.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
meh. Let it be. They're cool. Fuck coyotes though.

I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw one trot thru my backyard this morning. There were two of them, I know one was hit by a car a couple of months ago. This was the first time I've seen it in months. He's healthy looking.

I've had 'em in the crosshairs, but let them walk. The moment I saw one with a chipmonk in its mouth, I knew he was on the same side as me.

Coyotes also hate foxes, they will walk for that reason alone.

During the summer I saw them grooming each other in my backyard. Then they started eating grass & puking like a dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top