Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2012 6:40:43 AM EDT
Now if they could only mount a laser to him!

http://www.macon.com/2012/08/15/2138641/warner-robins-police-dog-fitted.html

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
That K9 has the "I'm going to chew on you and video record it" look.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#2]
That vest is sweet......I need to get one for my dog.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Maul bad guy and get it on tape...

...sell it in the hood for $14.95...

...Profit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a very large camera.  My guess it is night vision capable for recording in low light/no light scenarios.  Otherwise they could have just fitted the dog with a Contour camera and mount on its head and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is a very large camera.  My guess it is night vision capable for recording in low light/no light scenarios.  Otherwise they could have just fitted the dog with a Contour camera and mount on its head and be done with it.

It's also got a built-in system (Wifi?  Bluetooth?) that lets the handler see the camera's view in real time.  Plus, it's probably armored somewhat.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also got a built-in system (Wifi?  Bluetooth?) that lets the handler see the camera's view in real time.  Plus, it's probably armored somewhat.

This plus it has a dvr. You should go read the article.

@ceetee I doubt it's either on the comms, they both are low power and suck. wifi would require a peer to peer setup I believe and have likelihood of getting jammed by unsuspecting neighbors, bluetooth just plain sucks all together, PITA to connect and reconnect, and max 30' range on a sunny day, downhill, in an open field. If they were close enough to use either they may as well just strap a camera to a cop and send him in.

Seems a bit like sending the dolphins in to check for, or plant, mines. When will the first liberal be more concerned about the dog getting shot than a cop?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't wait to see some vids like dog chasing car and dog view of perp in car being chewed.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Man.. what's up motion sickness.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
That camera sure looks like it would be easy to snag on something the way it sticks up.  I lived two doors down from the handler for several years
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I cant remember what show it was, I'm pretty sure it was one of those DEA shows. But they had a camera mounted on a dogs collar and sent him after a mexi, working a pot field somewhere.

It was pretty shakey, but you could see what was going on. Pretty cool stuff to watch a dog take someone down from that viewpoint. I would like to see some footage from a head mounted camera.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Can K9s be trained to wear a bike helmet?  Helmet-cam FTW!
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My new idea Go-Pro GSD complete with hippy bite technology.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The camera is a great tool, liability wise, for police departments. Its much like many of the agencies in the US are now going with body cams for their officers. Definitely takes the whole "Your honor, my client in no way was disorderly, resisting arrest or any other act." Its priceless to sit in a courtroom and listen to that statement made, then watch the prosecutor pop in footage from a Taser or a body cam. The defense normally asks for a sidebar discussion, and an immediate plea follows, good times.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Friend is a police chief in Indiana, he's had any number of citizen complaints get dismissed as soon as he pulls the video footage and shows it.  He also said requiring his guys to remove their sunglasses when talking to folks also helped a lot.

Quoted:

The camera is a great tool, liability wise, for police departments. Its much like many of the agencies in the US are now going with body cams for their officers. Definitely takes the whole "Your honor, my client in no way was disorderly, resisting arrest or any other act." Its priceless to sit in a courtroom and listen to that statement made, then watch the prosecutor pop in footage from a Taser or a body cam. The defense normally asks for a sidebar discussion, and an immediate plea follows, good times.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Friend is a police chief in Indiana, he's had any number of citizen complaints get dismissed as soon as he pulls the video footage and shows it.  He also said requiring his guys to remove their sunglasses when talking to folks also helped a lot.

Quoted:

I normally take my glasses off when I interact with people unless that's part of the game (ie dealing w bangers etc). 99.5 % of everyone I deal with are goid people who made a mistake, the other .5% meant to do what they did and are dealt with accordingly.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My new idea Go-Pro GSD complete with hippy bite technology.

Now THAT...  would make a great Go-Pro commerical !!!

Good to see the vest on the dog too.

eta:

http://www.tacticalelectronics.com/products/21/products/55/k-9-systems/70/k-9-back-mounted-camera

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Next thing you know they'll be mounting laser beams to sharks...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top