Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:49:27 PM EDT
I had my Ford truck F150 worked on last year at the dealer and I need to add some coolant now. The stuff looks blue not green. When I looked on Fords web site they use 4 kinds of coolant. Yellow/ Orange/ Green  / and deep Green.  anyone know if blue is supposed to be one of the two greens or did they used to use a blue one. I am confused as hell on what to buy for this cause the site says not to mix the different types. All that's on the bill as a part number is FMC  VC but I come up with nothing on Google. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try and find some blue if you are concerned. Not even sure where to get it, but I know it exists. I have seen BMW's with blue coolant. You should be able to just add some of the orange universal and be ok (not Dex-Cool), but I am sure votefromrooftops will be along shortly to clarify. He is a Ford Tech and has helped me with my Sport Trac and I am sure a few others on here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Ford used a light green coolant prior to 2002. 03 to 09 used a gold color. 2010 and up could be a dark green or red.
If the reservoir is a little low just  add some distilled water. If you have made a repair add a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.
What year is you F150?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]
as a Ford tech i see all kinds of coolant mixed, J3 your truck(white F150) should take the green coolant, make sure the cooling system is completely flushed, those trucks eat heater cores when the coolant is neglected.

if i can make a suggestion, do a complete cooling system flush and block back flush with water until it's completely crystal clear, then go with the Gold coolant Ford has, you'll need 2 gallons. the Gold is much better than the green and lasts longer. i've done that to several Arfcommers Fords, my vehicles, and several of the service advisors. most the guys i work with that have vehicles that take green coolant, have swapped over.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#4]
What's a realistic schedule for a coolant flush on the newer trucks

I got a 2010, and I'm trying to treat her right
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's a realistic schedule for a coolant flush on the newer trucks

I got a 2010, and I'm trying to treat her right

if it was my truck, i would do a complete flush every 60k on the Gold coolant, which your truck should have. different regions of the country cause different "hardships" on the cooling system, for Ga. 60k should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
They flushed it and changed the coolant last year when I had the blender thing replaced. Truck only has about 80,000 on it adn its a1999. But the color is way off of a green and that has what has me wondering what they put in it when they flushed it. Not sure if its the green or the other what Ford calls the deep green. Guess I will take it by there and ask the what the heck kind it is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
we converted all of our Fords at work to Shell Rotela ELC red coolant and cooling system issues went way down . we run it forever I am sure at some point you should change it but with maintenance and other stuff it gets changed often enough
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They flushed it and changed the coolant last year when I had the blender thing replaced. Truck only has about 80,000 on it adn its a1999. But the color is way off of a green and that has what has me wondering what they put in it when they flushed it. Not sure if its the green or the other what Ford calls the deep green. Guess I will take it by there and ask the what the heck kind it is.

i'll be completely honest, the flush was probably done half ass and that's the reason for the quick color change. properly flushing the coolant system takes time and that's something that most flat rate techs are very short on. if you want to do it right, let me know. we can do it during a weekend day, it will take a couple of hours to do it right. the "flush" machines that most companies provide aren't that good for coolant flushes. i would strongly suggest changing it over to the Gold coolant, it will last longer and doesn't have the rusting, scaling issues green has. it's the reason the diesels do better with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I was already thinking maybe that was the reason it was an odd color. Thanks for all the replies. Going along the lines they probably put the cheapest thing they could in it I will just add a little green for now until I have a chance to do something with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top