Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2011 3:43:53 PM EDT
I taught my first class utilizing the facilities at American International Marksmanship Academy in Blakely, GA.  I am amazed at the facility there, and what it is soon going to be.  Currently, it encompasses approximately 2500 acres.

Here's a list of what they either have already, are currently building, or have planned.  This is by no means a comprehensive list covering everything!

200, 300, 600 and 1000yd Known Distance ranges with pulled target butts, similar to KD ranges used to qual in the military, or shoot matches like at Camp Perry

2400yd Unknown Distance Range

Range specially designed for Snipers to practice angle shots, e.g., uphill and downhill, out to 1000 yards

15 pistol ranges, including turning targets, steel and "runners"

Trap, skeet & sporting clays

Shoot houses

"Breaching" house for demolitions and such

Combat town

40 acre driving course

Drop zone

Aerial platform shooting range

An airfield so that units such as the Rangers can practice airfield seizures/denials.  For those of y'all that don't know, airfield denials involves uses upwards of a total of 400lbs of explosives to blow big holes in the runways so that the enemy can no longer use them.

An airplane fuselage/cabin for use with Simunitions

40 student and 100 student classrooms

Bunkhouses, cabins and squad bays

Pro shops with gunsmiths on hand

Chow hall

They bought the local municipal airport and have that attached to the property.

I met a bunch of guys down there, and they were all outstanding; friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic.  I'd like to give a big shout out to my main contact down there, Marc Masoner.  Marc is a former Ranger and a heckuva guy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are a few pictures of the Unknown Distance Range from last weekend. To give you some perspective, the 1st windrow at the end of the bare clay is just over 100yds and the last white silhouette is 800ish.  Behind where these pictures were taken the range has been cleared another 400-500 yards. Marc said they would be constructing another berm and tower back there.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds awesome.. thats about 4 hours from Acworth though... Why can't this type of thing open up next door to me!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I can not wait to get over there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That sounds awesome.. thats about 4 hours from Acworth though... Why can't this type of thing open up next door to me!!!

My thoughts exactly. Would make a nice weekend trip one day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
i've done work in Blakely and know the area.  Gunn Ammo is not far from there as well.  I damn sure want to get back down that way and check this out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
i saw this several weeks ago on gon and looked at their website.   just curious did someone form a LLC and develop this, or someone owned land and wanted to shoot, or maybe a combination.    because i don't know the area do they have ties to military and law enforcement?

friend of mine built a range about 25 years ago.  had rules and membership, competitions and such, but people were not willing to pay when they could go shoot on the local WMA. (or on grandpa's back 40)
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Rob, are you going to be teaching your precision shooting classes there and possibly hosting a long distance shoot there like the one up in TN?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The facility is open to LE, military and civilians.  As you can infer by the type of ranges and such I listed, they are doing quite a bit with the military out of Ft Benning.

Larry, we are doing a shoot down there the first weekend in May, like I used to do up in TN.  There's a post on it here in the GHTF.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The facility is open to LE, military and civilians.  As you can infer by the type of ranges and such I listed, they are doing quite a bit with the military out of Ft Benning.

Larry, we are doing a shoot down there the first weekend in May, like I used to do up in TN.  There's a post on it here in the GHTF.

I am so in.  This is soooooooooo much closer than the TN shoot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I went for the tour of the place last week and wow! Only 30min from home and these guys are wanting to host everything firearm related. They want to be the go to facility for matches and training. Very excited about what can come of this

Ryan
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't know Marc, but do know some of the guys who built/financed the place.  Was invited to the "Grand Opening", but couldn't make it.  Guys at Gunn Ammo are involved, I believe.  Probably Charles Rice money behind the venture.  I'm about 20 minutes from there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, the guys at Gunn Ammo are involved, as well as Rice Plantation
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I am about 45 minutes away. It would be a great place for all to meet and shoot. I am wanting to go out and maybe do a little with some explosives.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Do they allow BMG anywhere?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know.  I was never told of a caliber restriction on the UKD range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
It would be neat to have a FCSA or NCSA 50 BMG match in Georgia. I'd love to shoot one. Do they have a range with "pits" at 1000 yards for pulling down and scoring targets?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It would be neat to have a FCSA or NCSA 50 BMG match in Georgia. I'd love to shoot one. Do they have a range with "pits" at 1000 yards for pulling down and scoring targets?

Yes. They have alot of Palma and F-Class events scheduled there as well.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. They have alot of Palma and F-Class events scheduled there as well.

I went down and shot the Palma match yesterday, that is one amazing range. It was well worth the three hour drive
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes they do allow 50bmg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top