Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2011 3:23:27 PM EDT
As if I don't have enough on my plate with the upcoming deployment, my 18 year old daughter just got a ticket doing 85 in a 70.  What does this do to to her license and our insurance rates?  She doesn't have her own vehicle and is just a secondary driver on my wife's SUV.  I read on one website they will suspend her license since she is under 21.  Any idea?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go talk to the Judge or the prosecutor. I got mine reduced but it was a long time ago. They likely will refer you to a defensive driving class as well. Was it GSP or local? What County or city?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
They very rarely reduce super speeder citations. At most they might wave the suspension with increased a increased fee.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As if I don't have enough on my plate with the upcoming deployment, my 18 year old daughter just got a ticket doing 85 in a 70.  What does this do to to her license and our insurance rates?  She doesn't have her own vehicle and is just a secondary driver on my wife's SUV.  I read on one website they will suspend her license since she is under 21.  Any idea?

Had the same thing happen to someone ( over 21 years of age and clean record  ) I know doing 85 in a 55
They took a "defensive drivers corse $75 bucks " had a lawyer I knew go to court for them and got it reduced to like 11 mph's over the limit, no points, not reported to insurance company<––- Big Plus.
He came out good except for fines and lawyer.
Fine was $400 bucks,lawyer was $200 and school was $75 and was in city of Atlanta.
Cheaper than paying the insurance company HIGH rates for 3 to 5 years to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Go talk to the prosecutor. Around here, they rarely mind reducing the speed to a zero point violation (14 mph or less). It may cost a little more (I think they add $100 to the fine), but it's zero points on her license. If it was a county ticket, you could also go talk to the Sheriff and see if he can / will help.

I'm guessing a super speeder ticket will send insurance rates through the roof.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Commerce, GA officer.  He was nice she.  I am fuming, she knows better.  She was rushing to the Mall of Georgia for dress shopping.  Women...
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the ticket is actually 85 in a 70. If he reduced it on the ticket. the offfical part will have the reduction with the 85 written in on the bottom
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Commerce, GA officer.  He was nice she.  I am fuming, she knows better.  She was rushing to the Mall of Georgia for dress shopping.  Women...

Had to get there quick before you changed your mind about her spending the money!! I used to be a cop in Atlanta, Lawyer up, its the best way to help avoide all of the big stuff. Besides most all of the Lawyers know one another and hang outon the weekends, just like us! Paying 200 for a lawyer now will save you 2000 in the long run (estimates not exact) Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to go against the crowd here. 18, she's old enough to deal with it herself. Take her keys, remove her from your insurance, and let her pay her own fine.

Otherwise, you'll end up with another young woman who doesn't take driving seriously and could end up getting hurt or hurting someone else.

Seem harsh, but in the long run you'll be better off.

My daughter didn't take driving seriously until she had no way to get around for two years. Now she not only knows how to use mass transit, she takes driving pretty seriously... follows all the rules and even put her phone away.

Az
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Loss of license for 15 over? I'm raising the flag.

Driving is serious, but as long as someone is being safe at the speed they're traveling and can handle it, I see no problem with speeding. I've always said we need 2 separate road systems: one for herp derps that like to go the speed limit or below in the left lane and be general dumbasses, and another that you must take a racing course to drive on. No speed limits and more curves for those who really enjoy driving and don't want to worry about Sally Sixteen texting away in her new Mustang and slowing everyone down/causing fatal wrecks
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Driving is serious, but as long as someone is being safe at the speed they're traveling and can handle it, I see no problem with speeding. I've always said we need 2 separate road systems: one for herp derps that like to go the speed limit or below in the left lane and be general dumbasses, and another that you must take a racing course to drive on. No speed limits and more curves for those who really enjoy driving and don't want to worry about Sally Sixteen texting away in her new Mustang and slowing everyone down/causing fatal wrecks

Its her total speed,

The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are near the atlanta metro area then call Sam McRae. He is an Atlanta traffic ticket attorney and his rates are reasonable. He does traffic court almost every day of the week and knows the laws.   His number is 678-632-5298.

I don't think she gets a suspended license for 15 over (I think its only 2 points), even if she gets a 'super speeder' fee.  Sam will be able to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
You are actually talking about two separate issues, even though most of the time they get confused as the same thing.  The first is the criminal aspect of the violation.  Its a misdemeanor offense that carries a fine which is set by the jurisdiction.  The second is an administrative license suspension based on a point system the department of driver services has put into place.  The big key difference is that the points schedule is set around the offense and its final disposition, not what the original charge was.  

For instance, you could have been charged with DUI, but if you pled down to reckless driving, then you might see a difference in points on your license.  The DDS has a webpage which lists all the ways your license may be suspended administratively here.  15 over the speed limit is only 2 points and doesn't bring her anywhere near a license suspension as long as she doesn't have existing points.  

A super speeder fine is another administrative fine thats "tacked on" independently of any court appointed punishment (fees/fines/probation etc).  

At the end of the day the criminal charge is important because thats what starts all the other administrative add ons.  Thats why most people here are recommending that your daughter (or you) find a way to get that charge reduced from a speeding in excess of the speed limit (40-6-181) charge to a general speeding (40-6-180) charge because it doesn't give you all the extras that the Department of Drivers Services loves to hit people with.  

I know that was a little lengthly, but its important to understand the criminal and administrative penalties and how they effect you because that will help you determine if your citation is worth fighting.  A simple conversation with most prosecutors can usually get things worked out in your favor without the hassle of a lawyer and a bunch of wasted court time.  I dont think 85 in a 70 in and of itself is reckless but it is important for teenagers to understand how seriously driving should be taken so this may be a good opportunity for your daughter to learn that.  Obviously you know better than any of us if this is a pattern or just a mistake so please dont think i am trying to tell you how to parent your children...I would not do that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its her total speed,

The new law titled HB160 tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia.

I realize this... but the fact remains that it's still 15 over. I'm calling the law BS in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#15]
i know from a friend he got a lawyer spent big bucks and only thing he could get taken off was jail time. because he wasnt arrested at the time of tickit they wanted him to serve 24 hours after court. They also told him no matter what he did he was going to lose his license since he is under 21 there is no helping that 6months
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i know from a friend he got a lawyer spent big bucks and only thing he could get taken off was jail time. because he wasnt arrested at the time of tickit they wanted him to serve 24 hours after court. They also told him no matter what he did he was going to lose his license since he is under 21 there is no helping that 6months

There is more to that story than a 15 over speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
you right it was 25 over but they didnt care about how much over it was they told him. you got a super speeder and your under 21 your going to lose it. no permit no special treatment its gone
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Belive what you will but some of the counties that are straped for cash are trumping up the super speeder charges... It could be bs unless she admits that she was speeding to you
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Belive what you will but some of the counties that are straped for cash are trumping up the super speeder charges... It could be bs unless she admits that she was speeding to you

The super speeder fine is a set fee of $200 with the money going directly to the state.  The counties don't get any of it.  The court fines and fees could very well be changing but not the super speeder add on fine.  

http://www.dds.ga.gov/FAQs/Index.aspx?FAQCategoryID=34

There is a lot of misinformation floating around so check out the link above which comes straight from the horse's mouth.  A super speeder charge does not give you additional points, it is not reckless driving, and your license will not be suspended unless you fail to pay the fee.  Its all on the DDS website i linked above.  

For the record i hate the super speeder tax, which is what it really is, but let's not make it out to be any more than it is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
you right it was 25 over but they didnt care about how much over it was they told him. you got a super speeder and your under 21 your going to lose it. no permit no special treatment its gone

Your friend was suspended because of a points issue, not because of the super speeder add on tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top