Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 3:43:37 PM EDT
Once again I'm coming to the well of knowledge...

Some of you may recall a similar request about Doraville ITP earlier this spring.  I heard the message of no-go loud and clear, but it was a moot point - our house-hunting got put on hold when our contract got worked out and I got sent back to the 'stan.  I've accepted a permanent position in our Kennesaw office starting the beginning of October, so we're resuming the process.

Our situation:  I'll be working in Kennesaw, my wife works in Gainesville (Oakwood) and we'd like someplace that gives us reasonable commutes.  One 4-month old kid, with plans for more.

The Brookhaven area seems to fit the bill - it would be a 35-minute commute for me, and a 45-minute commute for my wife.  We clearly can't afford Brookhaven itself, but the area to the east seems possible.  She likes the area, and lived there a few years back.  A good friend of hers just bought a house in the area, and they'll be having their first kid soon as well, so that's an additional bonus.

So how is the area?  How terrible is the crime?  The taxes?  The government?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The area east of Broohaven is Doraville / Chamblee. Not my cup of tea. why do you want to be "in town".  I'd look at the Alpharetta / Roswell area if I was you in that context.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The area east of Broohaven is Doraville / Chamblee. Not my cup of tea. why do you want to be "in town".  I'd look at the Alpharetta / Roswell area if I was you in that context.

Not your cup of tea why?  The 'diversity' or something else?

We were looking pretty hard at Alpharetta / Roswell, but the commute from there to Oakwood is 50 minutes without traffic.  Yes, up 400 is reverse, but from Cumming to Oakwood it would be clogged with local traffic.  Cumming itself would work for her, but would make getting to Kennesaw a bugger for me.

From the North ATL area means we'd both have pretty straight shots with reverse traffic which should move pretty well.  Also, neither of us likes the typical suburban cookie-cutter / shopping mall type areas - we like older areas with more character.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My job just relocated from middle GA to Marietta. I am typing this is my new house in Canton, GA - Cherokee County. 30+ miles from my office - 30 minute drive in AM, 45 min commute home. I just went through your decision cycle and I bought in Canton. Just a data point for your decision. I am a GA native who has lived in Savannah, Warner Robins, and now Canton. Kennesaw would be even closer to Cherokee.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My job just relocated from middle GA to Marietta. I am typing this is my new house in Canton, GA - Cherokee County. 30+ miles from my office - 30 minute drive in AM, 45 min commute home. I just went through your decision cycle and I bought in Canton. Just a data point for your decision. I am a GA native who has lived in Savannah, Warner Robins, and now Canton. Kennesaw would be even closer to Cherokee.

I like the idea of Canton, but it's 1.25 hours from there to Gainesville / Oakwood for my wife - that's a deal-killer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The Brookhaven area is quite nice.  I spent the night at Fire Station # 2 just a couple of days ago.  The problem with Dekalb County, and nearly everywhere inside the perimeter is that you are just so close to real rough neighborhoods.

South Dekalb County is a real rough place.  If the news reported everytime someone was shot in Dekalb, no one would live there. I ran a call the other day in which a high school aged male was shot and killed I don't think that it made a single news report.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my big brick 250K house with a decent sized lot. That's my cup of tea. In brookhaven that might buy one half of a 60 year old duplex.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You are not going to find many people here that have anything nice to say about living ITP.  Personally I think there are some nice places to live in that area, but the cheap houses start at about $300k-$350k.

Have you looked at the John's Creek or Peachtree Corners area?  Its just OTP and west of Peachtree Industrial. I know a few people that live in that area and they like it. I have no idea what the commute would be like, but I think you might be in traffic on 285 between 400 and 85.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife used to live in Brookhaven it's a nice area... She actually has a nice condo she is getting ready to sell up there actually, if you are looking for a condo in that area let me know i'll cut you a deal outside of using realtors...
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Brookhaven area is quite nice.  I spent the night at Fire Station # 2 just a couple of days ago.  The problem with Dekalb County, and nearly everywhere inside the perimeter is that you are just so close to real rough neighborhoods.

South Dekalb County is a real rough place.  If the news reported everytime someone was shot in Dekalb, no one would live there. I ran a call the other day in which a high school aged male was shot and killed I don't think that it made a single news report.

Even then Dekalb in on the nightly news every day because of crime or some other BS
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My GF owns a house in Brookhaven, and I have grown very fond of the area.  There are some really nice neighborhoods in teh area that I will never be able to affrd to live in.  She lives in an older neighborhood off Buford Highway, but the houses are expensive and in good repair.  There are a bunch apartment complexes in her area, but it doesn't seem detract from the area.  I like it out there!
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
She actually has a nice condo she is getting ready to sell up there actually, if you are looking for a condo in that area let me know i'll cut you a deal outside of using realtors...

Sorry, but between two dogs and an infant we're looking for a single-family house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Brookhaven is one of the few areas that I would consider living in Atlanta. It's a very nice area.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
As previously mentioned, not many folks here are ITP people, so you are going to get a lot of biased views.  You are absolutely right, traffic is a nightmare for the suburbs coming into the city.  7 miles on 400 or I85 South can equal 30-45 min commute let alone living further out.  Johns Creek and Peachtree Corners are some nice areas just OTP that gives you some nice housing options.  I would also look into Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall area also, quick access to I85 or you can back road up to Oakwood.  
What are you really looking for though, city life our suburban pace?
Once you decide that it will narrow your options.  Brookhaven is a nice community and is currently trying to become its own city in the heart of Metro Atlanta.  But if you want suburban with walking trails etc than you are looking into communities wedged between 400 and I85.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Forgot to mention, check out zillow.com, there is a lot of useful information regarding crime stats and pricing etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
You can check out Town Brookhaven. Big complex with lots of condos/apartments. They've got a Publix, Costco, tequila bar place if you like that, plus a bunch of other junk.  It's actually nice there, but it is Dekalb County. The place is right off Peachtree Rd at Town Blvd by Oglethorpe Univ. I do all the Fire Alarm work out there and a lot is still under constrution, but soon you wouldn't have to go anywhere to do anything, it's all there. If you like that kinda livin'....
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My General rule is- don't move inside the perimeter unless you're really rich or really poor. The housing and area you end up in will leave you very disappointed otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I know of a deal on a house right now in that area . around $200K+- , just remodeled on a large corner lot . That said it would not be my first choice as a place to live
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top