Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2011 5:56:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Who requested this/set this in motion?  We need to remember come election time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
This is going to be coming up more and more. There was a case on this side of town where a handgun round went over a dirt berm and struck an individual several hundred yards away in their own back yard. I'm all about individual rights too, but I can completely understand why folks wouldn't want some yahoo blasting away with his sks at his new zombie target, right in the middle of a neighborhood I have 65 acres where I live, work and shoot and have thousands of dollars tied up in dirt bullet traps...all done to keep the neighbors as safe as possible.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Mark, give me shout sometime. I know a few things about this and may be able to tell you some things to say at the meeting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I will plan on attending with my wife.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mark, give me shout sometime. I know a few things about this and may be able to tell you some things to say at the meeting.

Can you post it here?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
It's called progress and nothing can stop "progress".

I was born in Jackson Co and lived there until my early teens.

I barely recognize the place when go home to visit family.

TD
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, limiting the discharge of firearms to any residential zoning 10 acres or less.  That is pretty broad.  Surely they could accomplish the same thing putting a clause restricting the distance to another dwelling with safe backstop, regardless of zoning.  Not, that I agree with it anyway.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
We have criminal negligence laws already.  Trying to prevent people from doing stupid things never really works in the end.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I work Monday and won't be able to attend.  This is very disappointing, but not surprising.  I've not been impressed with any municipal government in Jackson or the county government as long as I've lived here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The Sheriff won't sign off on silencers etc., and now this?  Makes me want to reevaluate our plans to move there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I may be interpreting the county definition of 'Residential Development' incorrectly, but I'm reading it to not only include a platted subdivision, but also "...and single family or multi-family development located on a single tract of land........, but excluding agriculturally zoned tracts in excess of ten (10) acres in size."  

Tracts zoned as AG that are over 10 acres appear to be the only place not restricted by my interpretation.  I first became aware of this from the mainstreetnews.com site a few days ago, but must have missed the 6/20 hearing info.  I haven't seen the actual text anywhere until now, did you get it directly from the county?

According to the article there commissioner Tom Crow says this,

“This is not only a subdivision, but any residential home in the county, whether that home is located on a half acre or 50 acres,” Crow said.

Crow said he “could go along” with an ordinance regarding firing a gun in subdivisions, but not from just any single-family dwelling.

http://www.braseltonnewstoday.com/archives/6302-Commissioners-to-consider-ordinance-regulating-firing-of-guns.html

http://www.jacksonheraldtoday.com/archives/5465-BOC-to-consider-ordinance-regulating-firing-of-guns.html

http://www.commercenewstoday.com/archives/4921-County-moving-to-ban-shooting-of-guns-in-residential-areas.html

I've never understood why mainstreet news feels the need to duplicate so many articles...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Well Mark, You can count on me being there for sure. This kind of pisses me off actually. I plan on telling them that if this passes, all of the voters who weren't aware of it will find out about it, and I'm sure they will have mean citizens on their hands. I will also tell the Athens Rifle Club about it if it passes, so then those members who live there can raise a stink about it. I will inform them that I am close to moving out of Jackson County.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Has this been put on GON yet?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in Jackson County and live only a mile inside Banks now.  All my family is in Jackson and I will be at the meeting hopefully with a few of them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know if it's on GON, but that's a good idea if someone has an acct over there.  Georgiapacking.org would be a good place to cross post the info as well.  I did shoot dking an email earlier.  I'm not sure how involved he is w/ GCO these days, but it wouldn't hurt to get them involved and notify members as well.  

I'd be curious to know more about any incidents that prompted this.  A few months back I recall reading something about a resident of Traditions complaining about loud explosions or gunfire on a large tract of land close by.  I guess it was inevitable something like this would come about though.  The Braselton, Hoschton, and Jefferson areas have really grown over the past few years.  I recall an acquaintance of mine I met at USPSA said he and a friend would shoot in the backyard occaisionally in their neighborhood that had 2+ acre lots in the Braselton area.  While not illegal and I'm all for it as they were doing it safely, I did think that might cause a problem w/ the neighbors.

Right or wrong, we're on all the same side here.  I have no idea what the original intent was w/ this law, but it sure seems all emcompassing at this point.  Regardless we need to do our best to get the word out before a new law infringing upon our rights gets passed.  thanks for posting it up Book!

I'm calling my family that lives there now to get them involved.  Just in case any of you aren't sure how to get ahold of your commissioner see this link  The district map link is at the top of the page.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<snip> but it wouldn't hurt to get them involved and notify members as well.  

I just sent Tim and email with a link to this thread.  Perhaps he'll be along shortly.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I will do best to be there as well. As for sheriff and no silencers... a NEW sheriff will be in place soon enough. Rumor is this turd not running again. I know the other person running name, but can't recall at moment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I posted this on theoutdoorstrader.com and a few there said they'd be in attendance. I'm going to try to make it but I don't known if I'll get off work and down in time.

It scary for such a rural area how liberal some of the politics are.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We have criminal negligence laws already.  Trying to prevent people from doing stupid things never really works in the end.

This sums it up.

I really hope people can make it to this.
This crap is getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#26]
The latest GCO email update has a blurb about this.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd be curious to know more about any incidents that prompted this.  A few months back I recall reading something about a resident of Traditions complaining about loud explosions or gunfire on a large tract of land close by.  I guess it was inevitable something like this would come about though.  

This is the article you are referring to.  It also just so happens that one of the county commissioners that is trying to get this law passed lives in Traditions.  

http://www.braseltonnewstoday.com/archives/6035-Neighbors-try-to-find-source-of-gunshots.html

"Could someone be firing a cannon or another large weapon in the West Jackson area?

A
man living at a Fairway Park Drive address in the Traditions of
Braselton subdivision told a Jackson County deputy that he has heard a
lot of gunfire recently and possibly explosions coming from the area of
nearby Jackson Trail Road. The man said he pinpointed the gunfire to a
particular address on that road."

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm too far, but you guys give 'em Hell.  This kind of crap tends to spread across the state.

Why is shooting on a commercial range OK, but not a privately owned range?

Why do they all of a sudden feel a need to dictate what property owners can do on their own property?

Put the commissioners names, email and phone numbers out there for everyone in the state.

Hell.  Post it as a firemission in GD.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I recieved an NRA-ILA email about this.  The word is getting out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Who are the elected officials that brought this forward?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
T -40

I'll be there about a quarter till to get a good seat
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone attending please provide an update.  I'm stuck at work and can't make it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
They dismissed it. It was so crowded that it was standing room only. They pushed everything else on the agenda to next month because of the crowd. Most people who spoke focused solely on rights, which to me was good, but I think bringing up the actual issue and maybe speaking about how the county hasn't tried to facilitate a solution, perhaps like creating a public range on county land, or letting HOAs do their job. Either way, it got thrown out, which was the main thing we cared about.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They dismissed it. It was so crowded that it was standing room only. They pushed everything else on the agenda to next month because of the crowd. Most people who spoke focused solely on rights, which to me was good, but I think bringing up the actual issue and maybe speaking about how the county hasn't tried to facilitate a solution, perhaps like creating a public range on county land, or letting HOAs do their job. Either way, it got thrown out, which was the main thing we cared about.

Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

winone for the good guy  good thst you guys got the word out
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good on y'all

Monk
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I got stuck at work too! I bet it will pass in some secret meeting now! That NRA-ILA email that was mentioned has all their emails, I did my part and sent the obligatory email.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I was there but couldnt hear when they said who brought this proposal to the council. Hoping someone heard the guys name and can post it here.

effin guy was the only council member to NOT show up at the assembly tonight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Actually, they continued the meeting after the five minute break to clear the room (and building) of all the pro-gun, pro-freedom, pro-rights people.

I wish I had known this. I wanted to stay for the rest. I thought it was over. I know I'll be there when they talk about millage rates
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I just wanted to say thanks to all those that had a hand in getting the word out or that were able to show up.  Personally I couldn't be there and was kickng myself for it.  

So who was pushing for this?  Bicknell or Yates would be my guess....
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there anyway to see how the zones are broken up by commissioners?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hunter Bicknell, Chairman.  He is the one responsible for this.  And then he didn't have the BALLS to show up!

His term expires 12/31/2012.  He is my representative.  I hope to see him gone and will work hard to make that happen.

Let him know what you think about his attempts to infringe your freedoms.  Let him know how much you appreciate him trying to further the government's control over our private property.  Be NICE.  Be professional!  But above all be HEARD.

[email protected]  

can someone send this to GCO to get this word out as a follow up?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top