Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:10:50 AM EDT
I was looking at this thread and saw that they are accepting out-of-state volunteer crews for cleanup.  I'm thinking about going over maybe Tuesday and staying until Friday or Saturday to help out.  I'd be leaving from Gainesville.  Anyone interested in going and/or loaning some equipment?  About all that I have is my two hands.

Nothing is for sure yet, just getting a feel for interest.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought about this too, but I've got finals all next week.

I just heard from some of my family out there and that's what really made me want to go out and help. They're actually going over to my Aunt's place in TN because they've been without power since the storm and no one has any idea when power will be restored.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I just heard from some of my family out there and that's what really made me want to go out and help. They're actually going over to my Aunt's place in TN because they've been without power since the storm and no one has any idea when power will be restored.

Yeah, I just graduated on Friday so I finally have the chance to help out a little.  Maybe you can head up a crew going out after you finish, b/c I have to be back home by the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My folks are on their way home from Huntsville now. My 90 year old grandmother lives there.  They are still without power, no gas, no ice...and a dusk to dawn curfew.  My folks helped my grandmother clean out her fridge and freezer, made sure she had batteries, food, a car charger for her cell phone, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just graduated on Friday so I finally have the chance to help out a little.  Maybe you can head up a crew going out after you finish, b/c I have to be back home by the weekend.

Maybe, my only problem is that I got Maymester classes too. I'm going to try and figure something out.

Quoted:
My folks are on their way home from Huntsville now. My 90 year old grandmother lives there.  They are still without power, no gas, no ice...and a dusk to dawn curfew.  My folks helped my grandmother clean out her fridge and freezer, made sure she had batteries, food, a car charger for her cell phone, etc.  

Wow. Glad your family is ok. I this is going to sound awful, but I knew I had family in AL but I just assumed they'd be ok. Fortunantly they are, but they said they saw looting the first few days so they stayed for a bit, but apparently the police/NG is out in a bigger force so they feel safe enough to leave their home and go to my Aunts place in TN. It sounds like they had generators but they ran out of gas, and everyone around there is out of gas or can't get it due to the electric pumps having no power.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been coaching my daughter's softball team the past two days, so haven't been able to go over, my dad didn't have any damage at his house and doesn't keep a whole lot of food in his fridge, he made a run up to Tennessee the other day to get gas and some supplies, and was in Guntersville yesterday, I offered him some of my camping stuff but he figured he could likely get what he needed closer to home and save on the gas.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My grandmother just got power again!  :-)  Hopefully it will stick .

She volunteers at Huntsville Hospital with the Red Cross.  They wouldn't let her leave the hospital today without ice.  Then she decided to stop at Star Market on the way home (they have been cooking pizzas for people on the grill outside).  A truck of ice just arrived and she was able to get two 20 pound bags.  Hopefully enough to keep what she was able to save cold until her fridge comes to temp.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just drove thru there heading to Arkansas, place looked bad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I went up to Cleveland GA on Saturday and did some electrical repair work, Barnesville and Dalton got a good pounding as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top