Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:06 AM EDT
after this weekend I found a very large need for my rifle....a sling.  I have been using just an old M1 sling because it's real nice and supportive when you use it to shoot.

however I have come to the conclusion that for hunting it is about the worst idea ever.... I am looking for a sling that I can still use the sling the rifle and be able to carry it with no hands BUT be able to get the rifle shouldered very fast.  the M1 sling I had to pretty much take it completely off before I could shoulder it.

any suggestions? also padding would be nice....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What rifle?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... a single point is going to flop around a good bit.  When they allow the weapon to hit your knees and balls they aren't a lot of fun.

Mark

Just add a hot suppressor & it gets really sporty.
I watched a shooter in class doing everything he could to keep the 'hot can' away from anything important for a couple evolutions before he removed the can.

And Books right about slings & holsters.  I have noticed a growing collection of slings depending on the shooting session.  For my hunting w/ my lever gun I'm contemplating a BF/Vickers 2pt set up.

7mm
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
rifle is an AR.

I have a single point and didnt take it for that exact reason.  I have already racked myself 1 too many times....

I was afraid this was going to be the answer.  so instead of recommending a certain sling, what about some things to look for or lookOUT for?

there seem to be alot of clips and quick adjustment points that once you have it set would be for no practicle use....I could be wrong though.  once I find something that works I dont really see the need to chnage just for change.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Padded VCAS or VTAC

Choose the attachment points that work for you.

Adjustment is useful.

I have it "Set" for my body fine...adjustment is for different clothes, different gear, different barriers, tensioned shooting,  the need to have flexibility of a single point is easily achieved. For hunting? I don't know. Adjusting for different jackets or whatever else you're wearing.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Padded VCAS or VTAC  

Adjustment is useful.

I have it "Set" for my body fine...adjustment is for different clothes, different gear, different barriers, tensioned shooting,  the need to have flexibility of a single point is easily achieved. For hunting? I don't know. Adjusting for different jackets or whatever else you're wearing.

I really like my padded VTAC. It's very adjustable and comfortable. The different mounting options are attractive too. I have used it on a 16" rifle and an SBR and been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like the 2 point VTAC. It's considered a tactical sling but it works great on my deer rifle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the P.I.G. Drop Slider single point sling from SKD Tactical. I like the system a lot. It's adaptable to all of my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.blueforcegear.com

I bought four VCAS dirt cheap... function over fashion.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Im a VCAS fan myself.  I have the padded version, but oftentimes wish i had gotten the one without padding.  If you are wearing a ballistic vest or lots of clothing the padding can become bulky.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im a VCAS fan myself.  I have the padded version, but oftentimes wish i had gotten the one without padding.  If you are wearing a ballistic vest or lots of clothing the padding can become bulky.

$29.97ea plus S&H

As I said, I went for four.  One for each daughter and wife.

All 7 of mine are OD {5} or Black {2}.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]

This. I have a padded VCAS 2 point. I count go in depth way 2 pt vs 3pt but it really depends on your style and comfort level. If you get a 2pt make sure it has a quick adjust ratchet stap or pull tab to make life easier.

Quoted:
Padded VCAS or VTAC  

Adjustment is useful.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
OH yeah... just in case you want to use it for something more than hunting.

Like I said, VCAS is set for my body. I'm like Mr. Mark, I prefer to stay strong side. But junk happens, you know...do what you gotta do..the sling lets me switch shoulders without using the slider, I don't know why, maybe because of my body type...maybe because I got the rear sitting on a MASH hook around a SLAP. Two free circles... mad flex yo. Ain't just for single points no more. I can come from patrol carry and have it shouldered without adjustment or snaps, good tension the whole way through.

Question...

When you have a three point like that, and you kneel down is it pulling the weapon off to the side by itself like that? If so, probably better for the hunting since you said you want to keep your hands off. My weapon only goes where I want it because I always keep a hand on it. And even when I'm kneeling down writing stuff in the dirt I got the handguard or vfg or mag sitting on my knee. VCAS takes the weight off but for the most part it's all body control. Having the sling do a bunch of that work for you looks nice....looks real nice. Probably nicer for hunting/hiking or whatever when keeping weapon in hand doesn't occupy the most time.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Im running the Magpul MS2 sling.  It is real quick from single point  to 2 point and is well built.   I am not a fan of the three point set ups just seems like to much material to get tangled up in, But then again I have never tried one either
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im running the Magpul MS2 sling.  It is real quick from single point  to 2 point and is well built.   I am not a fan of the three point set ups just seems like to much material to get tangled up in, But then again I have never tried one either

This has been my experience with 3 point slings.  However, if you aren't carrying a lot of stuff to get tangled up in, it may be a worthwhile choice.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I only support Blue Force Gear, they're a Georgia company.  Their sling is the Vickers Combat Application Sling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
after this weekend I found a very large need for my rifle....a sling.  I have been using just an old M1 sling because it's real nice and supportive when you use it to shoot.

however I have come to the conclusion that for hunting it is about the worst idea ever.... I am looking for a sling that I can still use the sling the rifle and be able to carry it with no hands BUT be able to get the rifle shouldered very fast.  the M1 sling I had to pretty much take it completely off before I could shoulder it.

any suggestions? also padding would be nice....

Shoot.....SHOOT!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#20]
aint right man....that aint right....next time I will blow his little tail off if that is all I see open!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you seen the Blueforce Vickers Padded slings?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Seth, bring the rifle back over and I'll let you try out and use one of the 3pts I have. If you like how it works you will at least know what to get. If it doesn't work for you you won't be out any cash.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't be a gear queer...keep it simple.  I've been using The Simple Sling from Blue Force Gear for a few years now.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Seth, what did you think of the Blueforce Gear UDC padded sling I was using? It was the first padded sling I've tried out while hunting hogs out there......I'm sold on padded slings for the amount of walking we did.

Next trip out I'm going to try one of the padded Vickers slings I got from Edwin at Christmas time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I liked the padded sling idea alot, especially for the walking we did.  I want at least a 2 point though.  I have a single point and just dont like it that much.

I found a specter 3 point in the EE.  it's cheap enough I am thinking about just getting it to try it out.  

Blue force has so many options its hard to tell what is what.  I wish there was a place that had them to try out.  also thinking about picking up one of their VTACs to try out too.

I am going to end of with a box of slings to keep  my box of holsters company.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top