Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 5:19:01 AM EDT
Any of you mutants ever go hiking, hunting, mountain biking up there? My daughter and I went yesterday to hike a bit, and do some orienteering. I figure I'm a little rusty and if we get lost it shouldn't be too hard to find our way out. Or for search and rescue to find us.  So we just bushwacked in a mile or so and used the old map and compass to locate a few spots. I'm glad to say it went well! It was a fine day, warm but the bugs aren't out yet.

But we did make a few discoveries. Any of you that go up there a lot know what I'm talking about. If you have any info, pm me. ( and I know what's on wikiedia and what's general public knowledge, I'm talking experience here) It'd be pretty cool to have a get together up there and explore.

Az
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well last weekend the Corps of Cadets had their FTX out there, all the roads got trashed from the LMTV's and assorted other vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I go backpacking there a few times a year.  Sometimes we see cadets and /or soldiers, sometimes just there lost gear.  I am curious what you have found?  On the last trip a few weeks ago my 5yr old found a geocache under a log––that was pretty cool since we were not looking for it.  Have also found kneepads, belts of ammo (blanks), head lamps, –– oh and some det cord packed in dirt and taped up in a cardboard box.  My 6yr old found that and when I asked him to put it down very slowly, he dropped it right next to the fire.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any of you mutants ever go hiking, hunting, mountain biking up there? My daughter and I went yesterday to hike a bit, and do some orienteering. I figure I'm a little rusty and if we get lost it shouldn't be too hard to find our way out. Or for search and rescue to find us.  So we just bushwacked in a mile or so and used the old map and compass to locate a few spots. I'm glad to say it went well! It was a fine day, warm but the bugs aren't out yet.

But we did make a few discoveries. Any of you that go up there a lot know what I'm talking about. If you have any info, pm me. ( and I know what's on wikiedia and what's general public knowledge, I'm talking experience here) It'd be pretty cool to have a get together up there and explore.

Az

Found this website/forum posting a year or so ago when researching this.. You should find it interesting:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread230310/pg1
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... oh and some det cord packed in dirt and taped up in a cardboard box...

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well last weekend the Corps of Cadets had their FTX out there, all the roads got trashed from the LMTV's and assorted other vehicles.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post.  Everyone whose pay grade ends in -6 or -9 wants to drive their super-hooah jeeps and gators up to every training area and completely destroy everyone else's ability to get in or out.  When it rains for 48 hours straight, you might want to use your head on that one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:05:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I live about 15 minutes from there and march around it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I turkey hunt on it occasionally, more often I'll go to the north tracts or to blue ridge WMA, there's too many people using it for my comfort.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top