Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 9:14:59 AM EDT
My boss has 17 aces and we decided to setup a backdrop and have a shooting day. Set up RR ties, the direction of fire, had prob. another 15 acres of heavy woods beyond that {tree's would catch any overshoot
 Anyway, The Rockdale sheriff showed up from neighbors from a  nearby N'hood calling. He was pretty cool, was inspecting our arsenal {AK, AR, 12 gauge, various handguns} he told us even though we took measure for safety,  we can NOT fire within 500 feet of a residence...including my bosses house. We were firing from his lower deck that lead's to his pool.
 I understand 500 feet of other homes...but his own house?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has a house on hwy 53 ( Gainesville ) and he was told 200 foot from the street was fine to shoot. Were about 100 foot from his own house so not sure the laws are that diffirent but I dunno.
Of corse were shooting away from the street into a bank of dirt below is pic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That may be a county ordinance.  I'm pretty sure it's not a state law.  Have you looked over at Georgia Carry.Org yet?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
200ft from a road in Adairsville, sheriff showed up and we were literally within 25yards of the house. He asked if we were still going to be at it when he got off, dude wanted to come play with the tannerite too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes its county/city ornance based. look up municode for more info.

the state minimum is 50 yards from a road. not sure if thats paved or dirt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in henry county it is 200 yards from homes and roads (600 ft)
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I will have to look more into this, I can understand 200 or 500 from another home, but NOT your own....we didn't really want to push the issue too much, the AK was a Saiga and wasn't 922 all the way yet  
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11481&stateId=10&stateName=Georgia

http://library.municode.com/HTML/11481/level4/SPAGEOR_CH42EN_ARTIIINUGE_DIV1GE.html#SPAGEOR_CH42EN_ARTIIINUGE_DIV1GE_S42-79WEDI

Sec 42-79 is what you seek.  The first thing you need to find out is the zoning of your boss' property.  Second, the exemption for your own residence is just that - your own residence.  So, depending on the zoning of the property YOUR BOSS may be allowed to shoot less than 500 feet from HIS residence.  Next time tell him to apply for the exemption listed in (e); that should be interesting.

Sec. 42-79. - Weapons; discharge.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire a shotgun, pellet gun or BB gun within the unincorporated area of the county within 150 feet of any residence, place of worship, business or public meeting place or roadway.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire any center fire or rim fire rifle, pistol or revolver or black powder weapon within the unincorporated area of the county within 500 feet of the residence of another located in zoning districts A-R, W-P or A-M; any place of worship, business or public meeting place or roadway; or within any unincorporated area of the county within zoning districts R-1, R-1B, R-2, R-3, O-I, C-1, C-2, M-1, M-2 and M-H.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharge any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals or cause destruction of property.
(d) It shall be unlawful to discharge any weapon across the property line of another without first obtaining the permission of such property owner.
(e) Special activity permits may be granted as an exception to the provisions of this section by the sheriff's department. Applications for such permits must be submitted to the sheriff's department on the approved form provided by the sheriff's department.
(f) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer while in the discharge of his official duties, nor to any individual lawfully defending any person or property.
(Code 1978, § 9-5016)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for that post....guess we were in the wrong  :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire any center fire or rim fire rifle, pistol or revolver or black powder weapon within the unincorporated area of the county within 500 feet of the residence of another located in zoning districts A-R, W-P or A-M; any place of worship, business or public meeting place or roadway; or within any unincorporated area of the county within zoning districts R-1, R-1B, R-2, R-3, O-I, C-1, C-2, M-1, M-2 and M-H.)

Yikes I didn't know it was 500 ft for rim fire. I used to shoot my .22  in the woods all the time and thought I was fine with 50-100 yards away from the road little did I know. What kind of trouble could someone have gotten in if the officer wasn't as reasonable as the one the op encountered?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has a house on hwy 53 ( Gainesville ) and he was told 200 foot from the street was fine to shoot. Were about 100 foot from his own house so not sure the laws are that diffirent but I dunno.

That does NOT look safe to me.

Impeach Obama for the Good of people that Like to Eat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for that post....guess we were in the wrong  :)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire any center fire or rim fire rifle, pistol or revolver or black powder weapon within the unincorporated area of the county within 500 feet of the residence of another located in zoning districts A-R, W-P or A-M; any place of worship, business or public meeting place or roadway; or within any unincorporated area of the county within zoning districts R-1, R-1B, R-2, R-3, O-I, C-1, C-2, M-1, M-2 and M-H.

Are you Sure?

Impeach Obama for the Good of People that Have Stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ga state law, only requires 50 yards from a public roadway, noting in Ga code regarding residences
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If you hadn't said you were shooting into a bank, I would swear you were shooting .45LC black powder blanks from a pair of single action revolvers at balloons from the back of a running horse, also known as Cowboy Mounted Shooting.  Wish I had that nice arena to practice in myself.

Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/choppo/Shoot2.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top