Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2011 5:56:23 PM EDT
Does anyone have a good recommendation for someone local to the Atlanta area?  I'm looking to get 2 barrel's threaded one for a 10/22 and the other a Ruger Mark III.  The Mark III is a 5.5" bull barrel.  They are both to be threaded for a Silencerco Sparrow.

As for the Atlanta area, I mean within 285 to no further north than Alpharetta and no further south than Griffin.  East and West is not really on the radar, but I am open to suggestions.  Also some idea as to cost as I'm debating about buying barrel's.  Autrey's has Tactical Solutions 10/22 barrel's in stock and if I go for a barrel for the Mark III it will probably be the Gemtech barrel.

You may have guessed, but as soon as I can pick up my paperwork, it will be in the mail to the BATFE.

Next time I do this I have a better idea of what all needs to be done and I won't have to run around for 3 weeks before I get the paperwork done properly.  Just remember, get your fingerprints and background check done at the same time. (For Spalding county you need a money order, $5 for fingerprints and $7.50 for a background check. Use the post office.  $1.10 per money order.....and knowing is half the battle.)

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of anybody I would trust.

APA does it, but they are outside of your radius and charge quite a bit.

I'd mail them off...Oh wait I did.

Might invest in a bolt 22. My 10/22 was quiet but didn't take much to make it too dirty to cycle light subsonics with a can. I got rid of it in favor of a CZ 452.

Ruger is now making a factory threaded 22/45 that you can get for 325. In my opinion, its a better option than spending $150+ to thread yours.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Poke around and you should be able to find a threaded 10/22 barrel for around the cost of getting an existing barrel threaded.  I picked up my Tac Sol barrel, matte black, threaded for $175 used with only $50 rounds down the barrel.  It looks brand new.  There are other options out there too.

Threaded stainless barrel $106
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218636921

Threaded ER Shaw barrel $127.50

Threaded ER Shaw Barrel $109 (buy now but better hurry)

There are a bunch of similar deals on gunbroker.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I had my Browning Buckmark barrel threaded by Andy Gazaway. He is in Alpharetta.
He took awhile to do it, but since you are waiting on paperwork, it should not be a problem.
I think that he did a really good job. Better than another smith who I had thread a 10/22 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might invest in a bolt 22. My 10/22 was quiet but didn't take much to make it too dirty to cycle light subsonics with a can. I got rid of it in favor of a CZ 452.

Ruger is now making a factory threaded 22/45 that you can get for 325. In my opinion, its a better option than spending $150+ to thread yours.

Along the same lines, I would recommend a 22 cal AR or conversion kit if you already own one.
1. Most likely, it is already threaded!!!
2. They are really reliable (I have a CMMG stainless steel conversion and a dedicated upper). Mine gets dirty pretty quickly but I have run 10 25rnd mags straight at one time with no reliability problems, but if your suppressor can be taken apart, you had better not wait so long or you may have some serious problems taking it apart after so many mags.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had my Browning Buckmark barrel threaded by Andy Gazaway. He is in Alpharetta.
He took awhile to do it, but since you are waiting on paperwork, it should not be a problem.
I think that he did a really good job. Better than another smith who I had thread a 10/22 barrel.

Thank, I've heard of Andy and at one time I was going to have some other work done, but I never got around to it.

I'll send him an email.

As for your other message, I would like to get a dedicated .22 upper, if I could find a CMMG locally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Poke around and you should be able to find a threaded 10/22 barrel for around the cost of getting an existing barrel threaded.  I picked up my Tac Sol barrel, matte black, threaded for $175 used with only $50 rounds down the barrel.  It looks brand new.  There are other options out there too.

Threaded stainless barrel $106

Threaded ER Shaw barrel $127.50

Threaded ER Shaw Barrel $109 (buy now but better hurry)

There are a bunch of similar deals on gunbroker.

I bought a new TS threaded barrel from Aaron Lawless for $150 many years ago. Back when we thought he was a good guy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Brian Ott with Ott Gun Works in Douglasville.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I just called one 'smith about threading a ruger mk2 upper...$140 - I think that Rob is right about buying a complete gun. It is not that much more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Andy Gazaway did a great job cutting/shortening, threading, and adding a muzzle break for $110 on my FAL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Well my paperwork went back to Autrey's today and they will mail it off for me, so the wait begins.

In the mean time, it appears I asked the right person today about anyone they recommended for barrel threading. (I asked the wrong question last time. I asked if they did it. Go figure.)  I've already left the Mark III with them and my 10/22 will be going at a later date.  They said it would be about a 1 week turn around and it will cost me $125 per gun.

w00t!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
$125?

You can buy a new barrel for the 10/22 for that. Did you not read our posts above?

Ruger has a new factory threaded pistol for $335 shipped at buds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$125?

You can buy a new barrel for the 10/22 for that. Did you not read our posts above?

Ruger has a new factory threaded pistol for $335 shipped at buds.

I just bought the Mark III I have now and did not want the 4.5" threaded version Ruger is selling.

Recommend me a site other than an auction site that has a pre-threaded barrel for that price and I would consider it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top