Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 9:36:51 AM EDT
I'm in the process of moving to the braselton soon, and the wife and I would like to know of some good places to go hiking, camping ect.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
goofing off day hiking @ Panther Creek Trail

some decent times to be had backpacking in Vogel State Park or on the Chattooga (banjo not required)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to go camping up in Dahlonega, but it seems like everyone goes up there now. Go up to Rabun county and hike the Appalachian Trail. It has good hiking trails and nobody to bother you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Some good suggestions in this thread already:
Cohutta Wilderness
Vogel State Park / Blood Mountain area
Appalachian Trail

I'd also suggest the Benton Mackaye Trail.  Lots of great hiking in N GA within 1.5hrs or so of Braselton.  Just be aware that the terrain is rugged, and a lot of the trails are fairly strenuous.

Decent database of trails here, though the search format sucks:
http://www.georgiahikes.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=59
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
check out http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Trails-North-Georgia-Homan/dp/1561451274/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Define "hiking".  The wife and I take a lot of "day hiking" trips to different state parks within an hour or so drive.  My favorite within about an hour drive is Tallulah Gorge.  Amicalola Falls is another good one.  Vogel is more like 90 minutes from here but I like it a lot too.  Vogel and Tallulah have camp grounds.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Define "hiking".  The wife and I take a lot of "day hiking" trips to different state parks within an hour or so drive.  My favorite within about an hour drive is Tallulah Gorge.  Amicalola Falls is another good one.  Vogel is more like 90 minutes from here but I like it a lot too.  Vogel and Tallulah have camp grounds.

I should say day hiking, as we don't do much over a 8-10 hour hike.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to travel a little. My favorite place to hike is PANTHER TOWN VALLEY just outside of Cashiers, NC. There's a reason it's called the "Yosemite Valley of the South".
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
get the book "hiking Georgia"
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Georgia-3rd-Georgias-Adventures/dp/0762736429/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296489684&sr=1-1

good book and good info on places.

try hiking the full length of the Benton McKaye trail (BMT).  nice and long but don't see many others...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Cheaha State Park

I like this place.  Great view.  It is where i asked my wife to marry me (over the big waterfall).  Her dad told me to push her in if she said no... haha
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
There are some really nice primitive camping sites in the Lake Russel WMA near Toccoa. They have a camping area that I try to stay out of because it usually draws the rednecks but if you go beyond that there are secluded sites all along the road. I much prefer that to staying so close to a bunch of other campers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top